wtb klze, where?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
chertel

wtb klze, where?

Post by chertel »

With all the members on mx-3.com who have done the klze engine swap there is not enough positive or negative feedback for klze distributors/online engine shops. I have searched and searched this forum for help making a decision where to buy from and have just found options where I can buy from but not much feedback. Maybe there is but I cant find it? I am not complaining just getting an idea out there for more people to post feedback for places they get their engine from. I know this wont guarantee a positive engine buying experience but will help in the decision making process. Just an idea? good or bad?? :?: :idea:
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

If you are in Edmonton there has to be jdm engine suppliers somewhat local to you. My best advice(and i am sure most people will agree) is to hand pick one yourself if at all possible. No matter wher you order one, you never know how it is going to be until it shows up to your doorstep.
onderground_mx3

Post by onderground_mx3 »

Oscar @ Pakfeifer got me mine

http://www.pakfeifertuning.com
chertel

Post by chertel »

I placed an order with jspecautosports.com on may 4 because they had the engine in stock so I gave them my card # and my order still has'nt been processed? I give up!
No luck with this at all. I live in edmonton and my closest jdm dealer is jdmsource in calgary. I gave up on them because they never have klze's?
The swap would be great if I could find an engine.
jbruynson

Post by jbruynson »

same situation as you in Edmonton. I might end up going with tiger through ebay.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

jbruynson wrote: I might end up going with tiger through ebay.
Dear god, if it's Tiger Japan, please, please, please do not deal with them. The new owners are passing off DE's as ZE's, and don't care.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
chertel

Post by chertel »

My engine just arived at the shop today. From what I could, see because it was all wrapped in plastic, it looked clean. I could see 31-101 on the head, I could'nt see the kl because it was blocked by the straight neck intake manifold. It looks like a klze though which is a relief because of all the negative stories of people getting klde's for ze's. I ordered the engine from jspecautosports in montreal but the bill said that the shipper is engine land, so that must be where they get their klze's from?
jbruynson

Post by jbruynson »

which shop are you going through in Edmonton? My ze is arriving tomorrow. I'm going through extreme velocity just off whyte ave. They ended up just ordering the engine for me.
GO OILERS GO!
chertel

Post by chertel »

I had my body work done at extreme effect on parsons road and the owner had a mechanic that worked in his shop that now has his own shop next door called extreme auto. They have the engine now and will be doing the work in june.
Bling Bling

Post by Bling Bling »

So Chertel, how did the engine turnout? Any issues? I was looking at Tiger Japan as well but I WILL NOT GO WITH JDM SOURCE in Calgary...very bad rep. Any really positive engine sellers would be nice. Please post most recent. If I end up ordering, I don't want to have it shipped back because of wrong motor or bad engine!!!
Stacy Whitrick
MX-West Calgary
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1335558 UPDATED June 6,07
94 GS, Green Envy Pearl QUESTION: Does my car fit the RICE category?
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

chertel wrote:My engine just arived at the shop today. From what I could, see because it was all wrapped in plastic, it looked clean. I could see 31-101 on the head, I could'nt see the kl because it was blocked by the straight neck intake manifold. It looks like a klze though which is a relief because of all the negative stories of people getting klde's for ze's. I ordered the engine from jspecautosports in montreal but the bill said that the shipper is engine land, so that must be where they get their klze's from?
Almost all the JDM engine guys in MTL and Toronto are blood related to each other or by marriage so that's not to surprising that you could have bought the engine from one shop and have it shipped from another. The problem with Mazda engines is that these guy just don't know what they are looking at. For example the Probe GT out sold the MX-6 in Japan. Technically by Mazda (in Japan) definition of a KL-ZE is any KL engine sold in any car in Japan including the Ford Probe and Telstar. All most of these guy know is the the engines are coming from a car sold in Japan so it is a JDM engine.

The only JDM importer that knows the Mazda K and B series engine well is Streetimports. The CEO of the company has personally owned 2 MX-3, one with the first KL-ZE swap in a MX-3 back in 1999. Besides his own car we also did a -ZE and MTX swap back in his girlfriend's old MX-3 in 2001. Along with another MX-3 he has a lot of personal hands on experience with Mazda swaps. In addition to this I have also see him pull parts from his personal car to replace a part of an engine that was damaged in shipping to get a customer going. In addition to the 3 MX-3s in the driveway he has also had a V-6 MX-6 and currently has PGT as a daily beater/ shop car.
chertel

Post by chertel »

The engine worked out from jspecautosports. It doesnt burn any oil. the only problem I have now which is not engine related is I cant get my tach to work but before the swap it worked with the same setup that I have now with the ze? Anyway the only reason I ordered my ze from jspec is because they looked reputable from their website and are a member of the bbb if that matters? so I took a chance because my k8 was burning a lot of oil, perfect timing too as the shop that put the engine in is out of business now mostly because rent here in edmonton is crazy. They did a great job though.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
jbruynson wrote: I might end up going with tiger through ebay.
Dear god, if it's Tiger Japan, please, please, please do not deal with them. The new owners are passing off DE's as ZE's, and don't care.
I got mine and helped 2 other guys get klze's from them, and it was the best service I have ever gotten from anywhere. and we all got legit klze's i recomend them.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

The engine I bought was from JDM source and is now in Tyler Smiths car, runs strong. The engine that is currently in my car is also from JDM source, and also runs good. I forget the guys name that was there, but he was quite helpful and double checked to make sure I wanted the straight neck because he knew the manifold won't fit mx-3's.

Came fast, and was a good price.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

chertel wrote:The engine worked out from jspecautosports. It doesnt burn any oil. the only problem I have now which is not engine related is I cant get my tach to work but before the swap it worked with the same setup that I have now with the ze? Anyway the only reason I ordered my ze from jspec is because they looked reputable from their website and are a member of the bbb if that matters? so I took a chance because my k8 was burning a lot of oil, perfect timing too as the shop that put the engine in is out of business now mostly because rent here in edmonton is crazy. They did a great job though.

There is nothing wrong with J-Spec Autosports there shop in just around the corner from the shop were I just go in and work on customers cars just for the hell of it or actually get paid if it is a special project or an exotic. They are great guys but mostly a store front.

Assuming you are using the K8 or KL internal coil distributor for the tach check the output on the middle wire of the 3 pin connector. You should see a 5V square wave output if you put it on a scope or you can used an old analog volt meter and and you should see the sweeps of the needle between 0-5 vDC speeding up and slow down with engine RPM. It is harder to check it with a DMM because most of them cannot display the reading fast enough to see the 0-5V pulses. It would be good enough to see if you no output at all. You will need to pierce the insulation of the wire because the connector needs to be connected to the distributor to get a reading my guess is that it is just a broke wire some where in the harness.

I know what you mean about the rent in Edmonton. My sister boyfriend is mechanic buying into a tire and brake shop. The only thing that is saving them is that the original owner bought the building just before the boom and the have a lot of big fleet service contracts

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”