Fuel pump??

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
RaspMetalicMX3SE

Fuel pump??

Post by RaspMetalicMX3SE »

Ive noticed in the last few weeks when my gas get pretty low( when orange light starts fading in and out on the fuel gauge) when I make a turn right or left my throttle repsponse just dies out. the car doesn't die out though just seems like that it isnt getting fuel. When I start to accel through the turn it cuts in and out. This only happens when the gas is low.
Teqnyck

Post by Teqnyck »

This will probably sound stupid, but i'd almost think that the fuel is washing up on one side of your tank or the other, and it's starving your fuel pump. I mean, i've never heard of that happening in a fuel tank(oil pans, yes!) But i guess it's possible... right?

Solution 1. Don't go less than a quarter tank of gas...
KLZE/KL31 ecu/Pacesetter headers/track pipe cat delete/2.5 inch custom exhaust out to fart pipe/warm air intake for now :(/Fidanza 9lbs flywheel/Stage 2 kevlar road racing clutch which still slips/stock wheels/BFG KDW-2 tires. Looks bone stock ;)

There are those who claim to be street racers, and then there are those who claim the streets for themselves. I am not a street racer. I am a StreetSweeper.
http://www.streetsweepersracing.com
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Fill up your tank.... WHen you turn the gas swishes around to one side of the tank..if its really low the fuel pump wont get any fuel when it moves. I would also varify the filter on the pump is sticking in the right direction (not up) cause if it is wrong it will make it worse.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
RaspMetalicMX3SE

Post by RaspMetalicMX3SE »

yea the gas swishing away from the pump makes alot of sense. That just seemed too obvious to me. the main reason i think something else is wrong is because it just started doing it a few weeks ago. every time i fill my car up it's tank is supper empty i always push my luck with my gas. I can fill up sumtin like 3 times a week (fill it completely to the max). I work out of my car right now so i go through a crap load of gas.
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

I have the same problem in my car except a few differences
-the engine is 4 cyl
-it happens no matter what the fuel level is
I started a discussion on it here - http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=51621 - but havent found a solution yet...
I ruled out fuel pump and gas sloshing around problem because the entire fuel system is primed with almost a gallon of gas (under pressure) - so the engine should stay alive even if the pump is not working for a few seconds - I tested this by disconnecting the fuel pump while the engine was running - it ran for a while (lot longer than a 5-15 seconds turn) before shutting down.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

This is why we need to put at least a half tank in before an autocross race.
sonue1

Post by sonue1 »

I had a similar problem when i turned a right corner the car would die,
it ended up being the fuel pump..
ho bag

Post by ho bag »

ariesdude wrote:I have the same problem in my car except a few differences
-the engine is 4 cyl
-it happens no matter what the fuel level is
I started a discussion on it here - http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=51621 - but havent found a solution yet...
I ruled out fuel pump and gas sloshing around problem because the entire fuel system is primed with almost a gallon of gas (under pressure) - so the engine should stay alive even if the pump is not working for a few seconds - I tested this by disconnecting the fuel pump while the engine was running - it ran for a while (lot longer than a 5-15 seconds turn) before shutting down.
Sounds exactly like the ford focus. Hard truns, trottle responce goes flat, time for a new fuel pump. Its an easy fix anyway. Pick up a nice 190lph and be done with it. 255lph is probally over kill and will over run the regulator at idle.

As for the low tank power loss. Fil it up more. Honestly one should try to keep the gas above a 1/4 tank. The lower it goes the more crap you can pick up, Also if it sloshes and the pump goes try for a sec you can do some damage. Which brings us back to relpacing the pump.
2002 Mazda Protege5 (Turbo kit 75% complete)
1996 Mazda MX-3 Gs KL-ZE
1994 Mazda MX-3 Rs (BP-T?)
nightnic

Post by nightnic »

I had problem exactly like described right after some garage guy tried to fix a hole in my gas tank. More to right turn, the engine also died when running long enough on hi revs. This turned out to be not fuel pump, but dirty wire net which works as a rough fuel filter. Cleaning this up fixed the problem.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”