again.. 2.5 ATX in an MX-3...

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
masonholmes
Supporting Member

again.. 2.5 ATX in an MX-3...

Post by masonholmes »

Doubt I'll get any solid replies to this as I don't believe it's ever been done. (though two people on here told me years ago it was nearly a direct swap - but dissapeared as soon as I had real questions/issues)

Anywho though, forgetting the one transmission mount that's not there and forgetting the fact that the wiring is different for a 2.5L ATX, does anybody know if the transmission itself will actually fit in the car/mate up with the shifting mechanisms etc? I know the engine/tranny will bolt up together, and I know the 2.5 MTX fits in an MX-3, but the 2.5 ATX looks a little bit larger than the 1.8ATX and I was wondering if anybody had ever tried to just swing one in, for sh!ts and giggles? I'm disabled, which unfortunately leaves me with the crappy auto, (and yes I've got a cooler, years ago ;) ), but I got ahold of a low milage MX-6 ATX with a Level10 torque converter and would dearly love to have them in my SE. My SE's currently parked with a dead KLDE, and also with a half-dead 1.8 ATX, so I was just wondering if there had been any more expierience with this swap possiblity over the last year or so.

Thanks for any info and replies, and if the two guys who told me this was almost a direct swap would like to step up to the plate here, PLEASE DO. Feel free to email me directly if you wish.
1993 MX-3 ~ SE * 2.5L Swap'd
1993 RX-7 ~ Rotary Performance Built
1996 MX-5 ~ M-Edition * Topless, Daily Driver

masonholmes@hotmail.com
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Ahh Mason-- I thought you had determined it would not work.. the electronics just would not talk to each other... so you put the level10 Torque Converter into the MX-3 tranny.

Are you STILL trying to figure it out?
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
masonholmes
Supporting Member

Post by masonholmes »

The wiring's not a direct plugN'play ordeal but all the correct stuff should be there, given a little splicing and some more thought. Unfortunately, Level10 was wrong when they first assured me a 2.5 converter would work with a 1.8 tranny though. (the converter is just a tad larger in diameter and the splines inside do not match with the 1.8's shaft) Of course Level10 quit responding after I informed them of their mistake, and since I didn't buy the converter directly myself, I got stuck with it. I've yet to completely give up or find anybody to unload the low milage ATX/L10 converter on though, so if I can figure out whether the transmission itself will fit, I may still make it happen, (given more time and money, heh). Till then I'm driving my '91 beater Miata, which also has a dieing ATX, though hopefully a used replacement will be in before this one completely putts out on me. (read - within the next few weeks) :roll:

masonholmes@hotmail.com
zydawn

Post by zydawn »

please dont give up
I have wanted to do the swap for the last six months but been unable to find enough positive info and lots of negative eg swap to manual.

son I am very intrested to see how thing are done.
masonholmes
Supporting Member

Post by masonholmes »

Haven't completely given up the ghost yet. I have sold my L10 converter off, (next month), but I still own a 2.5ATX with 10k miles on it. If I can ever sell that I'll likely give up though. (know anybody in the market? lol) If somebody could figure out if the transmission would physically fit in the bay/mate up correctly at the wheels, shifter, etc, I'd call it possible. Have to do some splicing and wiring work, but with both 2.5 computers there, some wire and time, you should have everything you need. (and of course the one mount that needs fabricated, but that's not a real big deal compaired to figuring the wiring)

masonholmes@hotmail.com
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

surely with a bit of work with the tape measure would tell you if it'd physically fit or not? i just don't see why Mazda would make a crappier version of an already crappy transmission if the KL/KF could fit??! not to mention the separate tranny computer 'n wiring they had to use.......
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
masonholmes
Supporting Member

Post by masonholmes »

Well the real problem with this ATX line is cooling. If they'd fitted the cars using them with a good cooler setup from the line, I doubt they'd have a bad rep. I do think it odd that my '91 Miata, (also utilizing a JATCO ATX), doesn't have a detent cable/it's electronically controlled, while later model MX-3's have the detent cable, but then you go to the same year Probe/MX-6 and again, back to electronically controlled. If they were all one or the other the wiring probably wouldn't be much different. As for a tape measure etc, I don't have the physical ability to do that myself, nor does it really tell you, since part of the fitment question is in more precise areas than just the mass of the tranny itself.

masonholmes@hotmail.com

Return to “Transmissions”