Cars' cutting out... quite odd

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
thebonestockkid

Cars' cutting out... quite odd

Post by thebonestockkid »

First of all I'd just like to say hey to any that may remember me, I used to be fairly regular on this forum but due to lack of interest in my car, my visits dropped off increasingly until I pretty much forgot this site existed.

Alright, to the topic at hand. As the subject states, my car is cutting out on me. It happens under moderate/hard acceleration, and has happened at highway speeds and while accelerating aggressively in first gear. What I mean by "cutting out" is the revs will completely drop off to idle, there will be no throttle response at all, it will struggle quite hard while below 500rpm, and if I don't shut the ignition off it will eventually die altogether. The funny part is, while I'm pulled over, after I give it a few seconds to chill the f--- out, it starts up again, like it would on any other start up, with seemingly no problems. I've been told it could be the fuel pump, which would make sense in theory since it's leaking if filled above half full... so it's always fairly low on fuel, possibly sucking any sludge thats in the bottom of the tank into it. I've also been told it could be the disty (I have a parts car which I could steal it off of, provided the parts car disty is fine) and I've been told the swap the Fuel injection fuse as it might be something as small and stupid as that. I've recently changed the fuel filter in hopes that would do the trick... no dice.

Has anyone else had something like this or similar happen to them? What did you do to fix it? Having my car shut down on the highway whenever it feels like it, as it doesn't happen all the time, is getting to be a royal pain in the a--, and I'd just like to know what's going on with the damn thing :(
Image'97 Grenada black pearl Acura EL, JDM B18C 98spec ITR Swap. Power in Control full coilovers going in next spring. Not to mention a most unusual whining noise... coming soon.

'92 Intense blue pearl Jeep YJ, OME lift, mudders, fun.

R.I.P.
'93 Clear white GS-DE ~14.648@92.98mph, 2.234 60ft. PARTING OUT PM ME.
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

Hey man,

Do u have any engine codes? Sounds like teh disty. Similar thing happened to me when i would just be driving the revs would fall to zero then it would die. Waited a few secs and fired it rightg back up. If u get the cam angle sensor code its the disty. I tried the HEI mod but it didnt work for me so i just bought a used disty and the car runs. Wait and see what other say as well and the decide.,
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present
thebonestockkid

Post by thebonestockkid »

My mechanic ran a code check and the only one came up (I was expecting about 18 :lol:) was something about the EGR... I can't remember exactly what number the code was but I do know my EGR is screwed and I haven't done anything about it yet. I still have a feeling is the disty, but I'll wait and see if anyone else has had similar problems/ have heard of anything like this from others. Thanks for your input dude :D

Anyone else..?
Image'97 Grenada black pearl Acura EL, JDM B18C 98spec ITR Swap. Power in Control full coilovers going in next spring. Not to mention a most unusual whining noise... coming soon.

'92 Intense blue pearl Jeep YJ, OME lift, mudders, fun.

R.I.P.
'93 Clear white GS-DE ~14.648@92.98mph, 2.234 60ft. PARTING OUT PM ME.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I'd guess disty too. They will overheat and shut off when they start to loose the coils.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

I would recommend trying a junkyard. I picked up one from a 93 mazda 626. I paid a fair bit for mine but i was desperate. It was a rebuilt one, so would have less miles than the stock one. Looked fairly new. If u r lucky a pick n pull would sell u one for no more than 20 bux. U can use one from a 93 probe v6 as well.
goodluck
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present
Nd4SpdSe

Re: Cars' cutting out... quite odd

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

thebonestockkid wrote:First of all I'd just like to say hey to any that may remember me, I used to be fairly regular on this forum but due to lack of interest in my car, my visits dropped off increasingly until I pretty much forgot this site existed.
Nice to see the legendary 14second DE is still around ;)
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”