Oil on SparkPlugs/After Replacing Valve Cover Gaskets(Front)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
TruTigerJ08

Oil on SparkPlugs/After Replacing Valve Cover Gaskets(Front)

Post by TruTigerJ08 »

Well i recently been having issue with my spark plugs and wires having oil on them when i pull them out in the front. I have replaced the valve cover gasket with cylinder cover attach to valve cover. Still after driving for a while im still having the same issue.

Any suggestions?
2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

sounds like an underlying internal problem to me. There has to be a worn out seal internally somewhere where oil is getting by and into the spark plugs. Usually from my experience, if oil is getting that far, you have serious problems and are probably also using a substantle amount of oil. I would check your compression, even if it is good, it could be your piston rings. There are 3 rings, a compression ring, oil ring, and another compression ring on top of that. Each one fits into a groove on the piston and seals against the cylinder wall. When these get worn out, oil can escape past and burn up on top of the piston. That is why I said if it is making its way to the plug wires, it apears to be pretty bad...

Although withought looking at it it is hard to say. It could be as simple as a warped valve cover or a faulty gasket/ installation.
http://www.streetpsi.net

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS ZE
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

You mean oul fouling on the spark tip...or oil on th eback of the plug(the part thats not in the cylinder) Did you tourqe it down to proper specs and sequence?

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
mab

Post by mab »

sounds like bad install! did u replace the tower seals?
TruTigerJ08

Post by TruTigerJ08 »

mab wrote:sounds like bad install! did u replace the tower seals?
No i didn't replace the tower seals.....I had someone else do that work cuz i didn't have time. When replacing the valve cover gasket. So it may be that problem or bad installation. Im hoping for the simple not the worse...
TruTigerJ08

Post by TruTigerJ08 »

2.5mazda wrote:sounds like an underlying internal problem to me. There has to be a worn out seal internally somewhere where oil is getting by and into the spark plugs. Usually from my experience, if oil is getting that far, you have serious problems and are probably also using a substantle amount of oil. I would check your compression, even if it is good, it could be your piston rings. There are 3 rings, a compression ring, oil ring, and another compression ring on top of that. Each one fits into a groove on the piston and seals against the cylinder wall. When these get worn out, oil can escape past and burn up on top of the piston. That is why I said if it is making its way to the plug wires, it apears to be pretty bad...

Although withought looking at it it is hard to say. It could be as simple as a warped valve cover or a faulty gasket/ installation.
yea i will get a compression test which should give better result. Also possibly run the engine codes on it.
mab

Post by mab »

if its on the wire side only it has to the towers seals trust me

it's a common problem in alot of hondas
TruTigerJ08

Post by TruTigerJ08 »

mab wrote:if its on the wire side only it has to the towers seals trust me

it's a common problem in alot of hondas
Yea do you know were i can get this part at online?
mab

Post by mab »

online im not sure but try japan auto parts in toronto ca.
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

If you're in Canada and you need valve cover gaskets, go to Canadian Tire. Tell them to call the CRC and request that they source the gaskets from Beck Arnley. Should cost you less than 40 bucks.
Cody
ho bag

Post by ho bag »

Acutally the tower seals go bad on alot of cars period. My neons both did it, my cirrus did it, i think my focus is doing it, ive seen alot of hondas do it. I think its more a matter of any high milage car with spark tubes going through the cover.

Pulling the cover, cleaning everything and applying a small amount of rtv may cure the issue.
2002 Mazda Protege5 (Turbo kit 75% complete)
1996 Mazda MX-3 Gs KL-ZE
1994 Mazda MX-3 Rs (BP-T?)
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

i dont know hommie maybe o rings....maybe head gasket
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.
mab

Post by mab »

ask yourself this question hows it getting past the spark plugs? it's the tower seals
thunkup

DON'T PANIC

Post by thunkup »

Don't panic, I have had the same trouble with my 30x, it is very common with these engines. The issue isnot "O-Rings" and all the other scary things people mention, its simply this the spark plugs in these engines are very deep, so the tunnel the plugs run down actually runs down through the tappet cover and then into the head. Now its the bad sel youve got between the tappet cover and the head. SO you have got a join in the two surfaces which is below the top of your lead casing and the tip of your sparky. SO the oil isnt coming from below the O-Rings and up, this isnt possible all this oil would be burned immediately if it was in the cylinder. As for the solution ask around and find out the best form of gasket sealing, Im still yet to fix mine but we can both relax and just keep topping up the oil.

Take it easy
MX3ak

Post by MX3ak »

2.5mazda wrote:... it could be your piston rings. There are 3 rings, a compression ring, oil ring, and another compression ring on top of that. Each one fits into a groove on the piston and seals against the cylinder wall. When these get worn out, oil can escape past and burn up on top of the piston...
If there's oil burning in combustion chamber you know it by looking at the spark plug electrode's colour. It would be white if I'm not mistaken :roll:
2.5mazda wrote: It could be as simple as a warped valve cover or a faulty gasket/ installation.

I bet that 8) re-torque and it will be fine :D page B2-033 of our shop-manual
K8 running LPG (Liquified Petrol Gas)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”