rough idle

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
4gotn

rough idle

Post by 4gotn »

my car idles high when my foot is not on the brake and when i hit the brake the car jumps between 1.5k and 1 k
its not the idle speed valve or anything
i already chedked
the lights also dim when i hit the brake
i was told by a friend that it may be the throttle position sensor...i doubt it though
any ideas??
1994 MX-3 1.6L B6DE 16v DOHC - rear disc swap, nix power steering/ac, Corksport f&r strut tower bars, Pedders urethane control arm bushings, urethane motor mounts, steel braided brake lines, painted dash, protege tranny
90 Miata w/ b6, Konig Lightspeed rims, Cams (boost to come soon)
74 Porsche 914 w/ 1.8L - restoration prooject

ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

bad alternator? The 4 brake lights (+3 center mount lights) take up a lot of power - it is noticeable especially if the headlights are on.

Other than that - the brake booster gets a vaccum line from the tb using a special hose. If there is something screwy going on there it might cause a vaccum leak that affects idle.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
joe 92mx3

Re: rough idle

Post by joe 92mx3 »

before you change the altinator put a meter on it.it should read 12to14volts at a idle try hitting your brakes see how much it draws my idle acts funny when i turn the wheel
92 mazda mx3 v6 red white wheels
4gotn

Post by 4gotn »

thanx for the replys ill try testing the alt tomorrow
btw
why was my thread moved to 4cyl....it have a 4 cyl but the problem isnt a specialty problem its just a general engine problem..i would have done better to have it on the general post where it was...admin plz respond
1994 MX-3 1.6L B6DE 16v DOHC - rear disc swap, nix power steering/ac, Corksport f&r strut tower bars, Pedders urethane control arm bushings, urethane motor mounts, steel braided brake lines, painted dash, protege tranny
90 Miata w/ b6, Konig Lightspeed rims, Cams (boost to come soon)
74 Porsche 914 w/ 1.8L - restoration prooject

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”