Does anyone get better than 34mpg hwy?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Does anyone get better than 34mpg hwy?

Post by fowljesse »

If so, what mods do you have?
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

I get about 34 miles to 0.5 gallon

-nope
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

34 MPGS WOW WHAT SET UP DO YOU HAVE I GET 20 IF IM LUCKY....that is shitfting every gear at like 2k rpms
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

34? dayum what do u have >? 4 cyl?? o.0 i get around 25..used to get around 30 with k8. With my maxima which is a v6 3.0 and WAY WAY faster than the k8 gets me around 32 mpg
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

I got 34.2mpg with about 400lbs of stuff in the back(engine...), and a passenger, on the highway with everything stock except for a custom CAI and HEI mod/external coil. Of course, I don't normally get that great milage (28mpg highway same day without the 400lbs in the back) so, it would appear that, until I find another cause, putting 400lbs of stuff in the back is about the best mod to make because it gave me about a 20% increase in fuel economy :laugh: (O, and 34.2 even includes half and hour of grid lock).
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

My last check at mileage was approx 10.2km per litre. Although I've had better mileage with the K8. That's a combined city / highway approximation but mostly it was highway. Haven't gotten around to do the mpg calculation.
That's with ZE, Millennia IM, KL68 TB, True CAI, no EGR of course, w/ Magna Flow cat condensor and muffler w/ 2.5" SS mandrel bent piping, MX3 tranny and flywheel
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

I averaged over 30MPG once. That was with my KL engine, intake, exhaust, and the car was filled to the brim (I was moving). The caviat is that I only got that milage through the state of Colorado (thinner air = less fuel used) and I was following my wife who was driving a trailer ... so a STEADY 55 MPH the whole damned state.
twoie

Post by twoie »

completely stock and all expressway I get 30 mpg averaging
70 - 75 mph.

twoie
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

i get like 24mpg city and probably 27 or so highway
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

This is wierd... I was also hauling my stuff, and in fact was going through Colorado part of the time. My rear dropped about 2 inches from the weight.
My mods are : Pheno spacers, K&N / I replaced the ribbed intake tube w/ a thick plastic cup that has a smooth transition from the TB (7 cm.) to the Airflow sensor (9 cm.) and is about 7 inches long, shortened spark plug wires, fuel filter in the PCV line, new cap, rotor, and plugs, full engine grounding kit, and I removed the OEM ram air box & lifted the hood latch to max for more air, and removed the sound baffling stuff under the hood as well as the rubber piece that went under the wiper cowl.
I expect even better milage with the blaster coil, advanced timing, high flow cat, and Flowmaster exhaust.
It's a GS mtx with 140,000 miles. I drove at about 70 mph, and only bought good gas. Oh, yeah, almost forgot! I add 2 1/4 ounces of acetone per 10 gallons of gas. I'll report back when my other mods are done. I'm also going to try opening the spark plug gap to .046 after adding the blaster and getting cooler plugs.
So, Nope, you get 68 mpg????!!! What did you mean to say?
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
bluemx3

Post by bluemx3 »

I never even thought about how many miles per gal. I got until I read this post, so today when I had to take a 500 mile trip to check inot buying another car, I decided to take some readings. The best I got was 6.5 gals. of gas for 220 miles. That figures to 33.8 MPG expressway driving. I was very impressed with that mileage. In the city, it seems to be much lower, maybe in low 20s.
Owner of 7 different cars, 5 being convertibles. 1990 Miata is one of my summer fun cars. I enjoy that car so much, I thought owning a MX3 would be fun also. Drive with your top open or top down. See my car web site at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/816145
den

Post by den »

I get 35mpg (more or less) on mixed city/hiway driving. CAI, no AC, proper inflated tires, 91 octane fuel, new thermostat, manual tranny and well turned up engine. I keep my windows up and sunroof down when driving on highway.
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 5 speed
Reverse glow gauge, Custom CAI, Cross drilled rotors. Toucan front strut tower bar, Custom circular ground wires, Custom exhaust w/ stainless oval dual tip muffler, Custom blue turn indicator lights on gauge panel and switches, performance steering wheel, Pacesetter short shifter
Geeman

Post by Geeman »

32 here with a k8 and a cai... thats with around 60% town driving
It only does what to the gallon?!
rebel2k4

Post by rebel2k4 »

30-31 mpg interstate.

70-90 mph, megasquirt, built KL :D
94 Mazda MX3 GS - 395 whp 397 ft lbs untuned on pump gas and stock KLDE 15 psi boost. now running 16 psi and E85.. numbers=? 425ish whp
04 GSXR 600- full exh, power commander 3, int turn signals, etc
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
01 YZ250- most fun vehicle Ive ever owned.
95 Eclipse- built 420a, 60-1, megasquirt, 371 whp @ 17 psi, dsm-broken-car-curse
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I now get 30 mpg :) weee

it was bad front o2 sensor and a clogged fuel filter :)
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”