How to modify the cam friction gear

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
bluemx3

How to modify the cam friction gear

Post by bluemx3 »

Can anyone explain to me how to modify the cam friction gear to quite the engine noise. I've done several searches and only come up with, that you can quite the engine with a modification of the cam engine gear. If you can explain "How to do it" or the site I can go to, to find the information, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Owner of 7 different cars, 5 being convertibles. 1990 Miata is one of my summer fun cars. I enjoy that car so much, I thought owning a MX3 would be fun also. Drive with your top open or top down. See my car web site at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/816145
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

bluemx3

Post by bluemx3 »

I appreciate the response and this site and I did find that during my search, but I remember reading months ago about a fairly easy modification that can be done to the cam friction gear to quite it down. I don't want to replace the gear, I just want an easy mod. to make the engine quiter.
Owner of 7 different cars, 5 being convertibles. 1990 Miata is one of my summer fun cars. I enjoy that car so much, I thought owning a MX3 would be fun also. Drive with your top open or top down. See my car web site at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/816145
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

add some atf fluif to your oil and drive a few miles.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

whats atf fluff...
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

Vanished wrote:whats atf fluff...
Automatic Transmission Fluid.
1993 MX-3 GS-SE -> Leather Interior, HEI Mod, Blaster 2 coil, NGK spark wires, Cold Air Intake, Underbody kit, Strut bar, Iridium plugs, Phoenix Gold amp 400w, Bazooka 12" sub-> 62,000 miles and still going ? Amazing lol..
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

what on earth would make you add AFT to engine oil, you wanna
blow you motor? hgallegos915 have you got any ideas? and a car
that runs right?

the cam gears are noisy full stop! the only way to "quiet" them down
is to replace the tension spring, going to a lighter grade of oil will
quire the noisy HLA's .
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

ATF has detergents in it that free some of the gunk in your motor and help lubricate the parts that get gunked up over time, your run it for abit then you change it, it should not harm ur motor
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

ATF is one of the the oldest tricks in the book for hydraulic lifters. They are right it has high detergent value. Its been done fore a long time and done in moderation will not harm the motor.
PS marvel mystery oil does the same thing.
92 MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, OBX headers, 2-1/2" exhaust, XL Performance muffler, AASCO Aluminum flywheel,Pheno spacers,APEXi Airflow computer,Eibach springs,Tockico struts, Toyo RA1 205/50ZR15s, B&M short shifter. MS control arm Bushings, SS clutch line, SS brake hoses
mab

Post by mab »

i agree add thiner oil to clean and run hot and change quick. tranny fluid is no good

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”