Flywheels

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Boris

Flywheels

Post by Boris »

Anyone know of any good aluminum flywheels for mx3s? I found a centerforce one already but it's out of my price range (I think it's aroun $750). That's the only one I've found so far. I know fidanza makes good flywheels but they don't make them for the mx3...which leads me to my next question: Will a Miata flywheel work on an mx3??? Kind of a long shot i know...but SOMEONE out there must have a good flywheel in their mx3...

Thanks,
Boris
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

yes get a 1.6L miata flywheel!! It fits because i am running the fidanza one right now!!
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

the flywheel from the miata 1.6 and mx-3 are the same wheater they are the 1.6 sohc or dohc and the 1.8 maita flywheel are the same for the protege LX BP
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Boris

Post by Boris »

Awesome, I'll start looking for a good price then :) If anyone has any suggestions, feel free. i'm prolly just gonna try ebay, and maybe jrp.
Boris

Post by Boris »

Well I just bought a miata flywheel. Got a fidanza off ebay for what I think was a really good deal.

Shipping cost is only $5 to Canada and FREE anywhere in the states.

The actual flywheel was $319 US...so in total with shipping I paid like $360CAN. Aluminum clutch, weighs only 8lbs :) Can't wait to put it in!

Here's the link if anyone's interested:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/FIDANZA-ALUMINUM-FLY ... dZViewItem
Last edited by Boris on April 28th, 2006, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

try nipponpower.com that is where i got my clutch and flywheel..it was the best prices i could find for the fidanza flywheel!!
Boris

Post by Boris »

lol one minute too late. Oh well I think they're around the same prices...I dunno how much nippon would charge for shipping.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

If it is shipping ground from the US unless you have your own customs broker expect to pay a lot of hidden fees. I know of parts that were worth $200 US costing almost as much in hidden fees to clear it across the border but at least the shop knew was a NAFTA declaration was so at least it was duty free and it went to an address outside of Quebec so only the GST was add not like people in Quebec that get hosed with both the GST+PST
SpikeDerailed

Post by SpikeDerailed »

What is the weight of the stock flywheel? As far as im concerned the engine takes to long to rev up(from idle to 6k in neutral).
ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005)

Post by ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005) »

Just to add, the weight of the stock flywheel has a purpose, to smooth out the idle on thease small motors.
Apexi Safc 2 ,Timex Boost-Temp-Oil Gauges, Stage 1 Performance clutch, 8.5 mm Magnacore plug Wires,2.5 inch exhaust, Cold Air Intake , Short Shifter , High temp rotors & Ceramic pads to slow it all down !
mx3dude
Supporting Member

weights

Post by mx3dude »

As far as I've read, our stock flywheels are approximately 16-17lbs. What I would like to see is an all titanium flywheel. I have a feeling that would last the life of the car, no matter what. It would be incredibly light and strong.
95' MX-3 RS, front and rear stabilizer bars, B&M short shifter, homemade ground kit, all power options just installed, passport 8500 X50 radar detector (+15HP, -8mpg, +20mi/hr top end on the highway)
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

do you know how much titanium cost per cubic inch? not to mention the tools to machine it. and in fact it owuld probably be worse then steel.

tatanium dosent do well with heat or friction. which is why they dont make gun barrels out of them, and last time i checked your clutch puts alot of friction on the flywheel
mx3dude
Supporting Member

Post by mx3dude »

WingleBeast

PostPosted: 05 May 2006, 00:57 Post subject:
do you know how much titanium cost per cubic inch? not to mention the tools to machine it. and in fact it owuld probably be worse then steel.

tatanium dosent do well with heat or friction. which is why they dont make gun barrels out of them, and last time i checked your clutch puts alot of friction on the flywheel
After doing some research, I found that the tensile strength of titanium can reach as far as 200,000psi, it is about 56% the density of steel (so almost half the weight of steel), and it's melting point is appr. 3135 deg F. This is 400 F above steel and 2000 F above aluminum. It probably handles heat well and as for friction, I can't see it causeing much more frictional heat than other metals, especially with the chromoly coating they get. But on this last point, I'm not sure. Just some info I've found.
95' MX-3 RS, front and rear stabilizer bars, B&M short shifter, homemade ground kit, all power options just installed, passport 8500 X50 radar detector (+15HP, -8mpg, +20mi/hr top end on the highway)
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

tensile strength dosent matter. titanium can only be hardened to 42 on the rockwell scale before going extreamly brittle, so in most high friction applications, titanium will technically be softer then steel, so it will wear faster. and if it is as hard as the steel it will be significantly less safe
Boris

Post by Boris »

Got the flywheel today! Looks awesome... COD was $12.06 or something like that so total cost of the flywheel ended up being about $375 shipped. That's in Canadian dollars btw..

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”