KLZE or BPT? KLZE-T? Which is capable of being the fastest?

A place for the MX-3 Community in Europe to gather.
daryl

Post by daryl »

Does anyone know which route is capable of building the fastest MX-3?

Without getting into silly money and drag racing..

A KLZE puts out around 145-160 WHP in an MX-3, has anyone on this forum got a KLZE-T?(turbo)
garfy1981
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by garfy1981 »

The genaral rule for turbo charging a ze is 14bhp per 1 psi and the recommended safe psi on a Ze is 6 psi. A properly tuned ZE without turbo should put down 170-180bhp before turbo, so add on the 6x14 and that gives you 264bhp at the wheels, change all the internals for stronger parts, get rid of the heat and you could push 20psi, you do the math !!.
I think a B6T can be tuned to atleast 225bhp.
Of course all turbos need a lot of tlc.
Now if you could work out the cost of turbo ze versus B6t, the b6t would probably win !!
Depends how much dollar dollar you have!!!
Sounds to me as your a bit unsure of what engine to go for in your mx-3 ???
Hope this helps
2.5 Ze straight neck, blitz intake, mazdaspeed engine mounts, fidenza flywheel, CM II Clutch, KL-36 ecu, Magnecor 8mm Leads, Battery Relocation. Hotshot headers, 2.5 mandrel bent stainless exhaust, hi-flow cat, Speed hut dials, custom coilover set up. Custom willwood big brake conversion.
verzutiko
Supporting Member

Post by verzutiko »

If you have an MX-3 RS = BPT
If you have an MX-3 GS = KLZE
'92 GS
My worklog
garfy1981

Post by garfy1981 »

of course if its a 6cyl ( V6) then another V6 is the only way to go.
if you have a 4cyl ( 1.6 ) then a B6T is the way to go.
You cant put a v6 in a 4 cyl and vica versa.

But if you are planning on buying and then modifying the car, which way would you go
V6 or 4cyl ??
2.5 Ze straight neck, blitz intake, mazdaspeed engine mounts, fidenza flywheel, CM II Clutch, KL-36 ecu, Magnecor 8mm Leads, Battery Relocation. Hotshot headers, 2.5 mandrel bent stainless exhaust, hi-flow cat, Speed hut dials, custom coilover set up. Custom willwood big brake conversion.
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

a friend of mine has a Miata with a 1.8l swap.
Custom turbokit, forged internals and all the works (bigger brakes, all suspension mods etc etc).

He`s planning on running about 17psi this year, and that`ll give him about 300-350 whp.

Can`t wait to get a ride in that :D

-nope
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
garfy1981

Post by garfy1981 »

nice, thats what its all about!! :driver:
loads of power slide/drift action !!
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

this is not setup for drifting :)

Semi-slicks and suspension setup for trackdays with cornerhandling as first priority :)
Sideways is slow :D

-nope
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
garfy1981

Post by garfy1981 »

still leaves the question if you were going to buy a mx-3 with the intention of changing the engine , what would you get a 4cyl or a 6cyl ??
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

IMO 6 turboed will be faster but will cost more
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
garfy1981

Post by garfy1981 »

I would say 6 too, but stick with KLZE NA first, then get it tuned up to the nuts,
180bhp is great fun anyhow, if your still not happy then you can turbo it at a later date.

Oh Babyblue was my turbo theory on a ZE acurate, i.e 6 psi and 14bhp per psi ??? thought id ask a man of experience.
daryl

Roughly how much does it cost?

Post by daryl »

Roughly how much does it cost? to convert a KLZE to KLZE-Turbo?

I asked the question originally thinking that the 4, would end up producing more power. I thought it might be stronger by design and be able to take a bigger turbo.

Say I wanted to build a 250BHP MX3, which would be the cheapest way of acheiving it?

Heard of a BPD before???

BPT

The BPT is a turbocharged and intercooled variant of the BP. It produced 179 hp (134 kW) and 174 ft·lbf (237 N·m) of torque. A detuned variant of the BPT with considerably less power (due to fuel standards) was sold in Australia.

The most powerful version was named the BPD. It is commonly known as the 'big turbo' variant as it utilised a much larger IHI RHF6CB turbocharger. The BPT was used as the basis for the engine, with changes such as sodium filled exhaust valves, larger (and front mounted) intercooler, bigger fuel injectors and stronger engine internals helping to up the performance of the engine to produce 206 hp (154 kW) and 184 ft·lbf (250 N·m). This engine was designed to power Mazda to a world rally championship win, and was thus used in the limited production Mazda Familia GT-R (2200 built) and GTAe (300 built).

Applications:

* 1989-1994 Mazda Familia GT-X (Japan)
* 1992-1993 (BPD) Mazda Familia GT-R / GTAe (Japan)
* 1989-1994 Ford Laser TX3 turbo (Australia)
* Ford Laser GT-X

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_B_engine

What about the KJ-ZEM???

I have heard that its too big to fit in the mx3, anyone know where I can find out some tech info on this engine?

KJ-ZEM

The 2.3 L KJ-ZEM is one of Mazda's most technologically advanced engines. It employs the "Miller cycle" which uses a supercharger to decrease compression losses and increase power. It was used in the T-platform cars. The supercharger used is the twin-screw type with electronic boost control. Power output was 217 hp (162 kW) and 210 ft.lbf. The KJ-ZEM was on the Ward's 10 Best Engines list for 1995 through 1998.

Applications:

* Mazda Millenia
* Eunos 800
* Mazda Xedos 9

SUMMARY
BPT 179 hp (134 kW) and 174 ft·lbf (237 N·m)
KLZE 196 hp (149 kW) and 165 ft.lbf (224 Nm).
BPD 206 hp (154 kW) and 184 ft·lbf (250 N·m).
KJ-ZEM 217 hp (162 kW) and 210 ft.lbf.

KLZE-T What does a ZE turbo put down
garfy1981

Post by garfy1981 »

using some figres from a turbo charged megasquirted klze in a mx6 the figres posted are
275bhp/242wtq @ 5.5bhp w NX @ 5.5psi
317bhp/287wtq @ 8.5 psi

With shipping from the U.S a turbo kit your be looking at 2K for the kit
Then you going to need a megasquirt engine management system to get the most out of it £400
Of corse your going to need a Ze in there £800
Then your possibly going to need stronger driveshafts from http://www.driveshaftshop.com a mazda mx-3 300bhp axle costs £376 + shipping.
Then your going to have to look at some decent brakes a big brake kit from the u.s is £850 inc. shipping.

So thats your basic parts, total £4426 :o
And then its going to have to be installed ( unless your clued up on mechanics ) its going to take a day on the dyno to set up and tune. I rekon you could easily run up a garage bill of 1K in labour.
Then your prob going to want to bolt on a few extras ( air filter, spark leads, clutch, engine mounts??) so allow £500 for this.

Umm thats just under £6000 please mr bank manager.
Oh and obviously you going to need a mx-3 I rekon a decent condition non engine runner will set you back £500, throw on some alloys £500

Better make that £7000 Mr Bank Manager. :evil:

Fancy a body kit lol..............
Pedro_mx3
Supporting Member

Post by Pedro_mx3 »

to be honest the problem with putting a BP-T in the MX-3 is trying to find the G-series box and shafts we require (my brother had the same problem with his 323F (Astina)he's now turboing his Z5) although he needed different drive shafts a good box was hard to come by, look hard enough tho an i dont think it would be a problem tho.

From a UK point of view the ZE is an easier option and tend to be cheaper in the UK aswell but its all down to personal preference... NA or Boost?
I'm not worried about the bullet with my name on, Im worried about the one that says 'To Whom it may Concern'....

Make a Donation, Keep Mx3.com Alive!!

1991 V6 K8 -- My baby, i miss her... On her way to car heaven... <3

Return to “European MX-3 Community”