UK/N.Ireland .. new mx3 owner seeks lots of help !

A place for the MX-3 Community in Europe to gather.
ilovemazdas

UK/N.Ireland .. new mx3 owner seeks lots of help !

Post by ilovemazdas »

hey yall .............

ive just joined up, and this is an excellent site !

about me:

well i live in N.Ireland , and in the past ive been an avid Mazda 323f (1989 - 1994) fan , infact ive owned 7 of them !
91 - 323 1.6 hatchback
91 - 323f 1.6 fastback
92 - 323f 1.6 fastback
92 - 323f 1.6 fastback
92 - 323f 1.6i fastback
93 - 323f 1.6i fastback
94 - 323 1.6i fastback

with this i can pretty much list about 15 common probs that about 80% of them have had , for example , the drivers door handles have gone on all 6 323f fastbacks i have owned ! ( to cure this i just got a load of later model 98 323 handles and changed them over)

now i have fallen for the MX-3 !!!

what i would love you guys n gals to help me out with is a UK/Ireland owners / buyers guide .

i have a budget of approx £1200

i need to know :

which model and year should i go for ? ( the 1994 1.8V6 looks to be popular)
what should i look for when buying ?
what are the common problems ?
what should i avoid like the plague ?
is it expensive to run ?
ive never worked on a V6 before , are they hard to work on / get parts for ?

and any other info would be great ! ....... im itching to buy one ASAP, as i have just sold me other car and need one soon .

thanks in advance

Tim :D
daryl

Are you planning any serious mods? like a KLZE engine swap?

Post by daryl »

Welcome to the MX-3 community :)

Are you planning any serious mods? like a KLZE/BPT engine swap?

Just asking as this will help determine whith model you should go for.

(sorry I wrote the question in the subject and forgot to repeat it in the message)
Last edited by daryl on May 6th, 2006, 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ilovemazdas

Re: Are you planning any serious mods? like a KLZE engine sw

Post by ilovemazdas »

daryl wrote:Welcome to the MX-3 community :)

Just asking as this will help determine whith model you should go for.
just asking what mate ??
garfy1981
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by garfy1981 »

hello mate, welcome to the board,
As for a buying guide lets see.........
Not sure how much £1200 will get as the prices of mx-3 varies quite alot.
But i rekon a 1994 1.8 V6 will do fine, at least with a 1994 your get a obd1 car which is good if you want to do a engine swap at a later date.
any pre 1994 mx-3 is obd1 after 1995 they are obd2.
You could get a pre 1992 model in decent condition and use the extra cash to do the exhaust, with pre 1992 you could loose the cat which would free up some power.
As for faults, check all the suspension for leaks ( i didnt check mine and 2 months later had to replace all the suspension :( )
Check the brakes are in good condition or recently serviced as the calipers are prone to ceizing, and rear discs also rust like hell after a few years.
Check the rear wiper and spray works as the motor and reservior are in the boot and again a pain to repair.
Check rear window heater works, as a new screen wont be cheap.
Check a/c works if fitted, ( was optional when new at extra cost ) i didnt get a/c because its just extra weight, and more to go wrong :)
Definately check the sunroof, these are prone to failing or not operating correctly, they usually need striping down, re greasing, and aligning after a few years.
The engines are very strong and will go to 130,000 with no problems. But check it has had a cambelt change as these are not cheap mazda charge somewhere between £300-£500.
Check the rear gasket on the rocker cover as if its leaking its a pain in the arse to replace because you have to take all the inlet manifold off.
In general any oil leaks are not good so have a good look underneath.
The main signs of failure on the engines are headgaskets and HLA tapping, the engines do tap slightly but should not sound like a ford fiesta tap tap tap !!.
Take the car for a spin and floor it, make sure it doesnt hesitate or buck.
Another thing they are prone to fail on is distributers, they will run then suddenly cut out, then will start back up again once they have had time to cool, but saying that my distributer is on 122k and hasnt missed a beat.
Oh check for rust around arches, if you can see behind the front arch liner see how much crap is behind there.
Put the car on full lock and make sure there is no tapping.

Well cant think of anything else, but as your the mazda man i expect you know how to tell a goodn from a rotton egg.

Oh, have you checked insurance as i thought it was a bit pricy in ireland?

Enjoy !!
2.5 Ze straight neck, blitz intake, mazdaspeed engine mounts, fidenza flywheel, CM II Clutch, KL-36 ecu, Magnecor 8mm Leads, Battery Relocation. Hotshot headers, 2.5 mandrel bent stainless exhaust, hi-flow cat, Speed hut dials, custom coilover set up. Custom willwood big brake conversion.
ilovemazdas

Post by ilovemazdas »

hey garfy,

thanks for the info mate , that helps a lot . yeah , over here in the north of ireland we have the highest insurance rates in the world ! , all to do with terrorist threat etc etc and even tho there has been a ceasefire for many years , even tho i live in a small village on the coast were there has been no terrorism in about 10 years , insurance is still v high . i paid around £800 fully comp for my last mazda, and have been quoted around £1100 for an mx3, which i expected.

i had probs with the CV joints / boots on every mazda i owned , and im told that the hydro clutch on the mx3 can also be a prob ?

also what is odb1 and odb2 ??

thanks
garfy1981

Post by garfy1981 »

well £800 raising to just over a grand isnt bad considering your going from what 95bhp to 134bhp.

havent known anything about the hydro clutch thing?? but if you floor it to check the engine and it slips nicely into gear then cant see a problem

someone told me a clutch test once, cant remember exactely but it was something along the lines rev the nuts out of it go to 50 in 2nd gear foot to floor and make note of the rpm now drive half foot to floor in 2nd to 50 and make note again of rpm, they should be the same if not there is too much clutch slip. something like that anyhow ???

well on obd1 cars you can pull the ecu engine fault codes yourself by linking out 2 connections and observing readouts by a series of blinks which mean codes..
on obd2 cars you need to plug in a diagnosis machine/palm tool to pull off codes. like VW do etc. it doesnt really make a difference. But if you think you might want to pull out the 1.8 v6 and slot in a 2.5 v6 from a mx6 then get a obd1 car. But i wouldnt want to think what the insurance would be like over there for this !!!
come to the uk, you can slot in a 2.5 and pay £370 fully comp for a 2.5 v6 mx-3 :P

oh usually cv joints are usually only a problem if someone decides to keep repairing them with cheap crap or recon crap !!, and split cv boots well that cant be helped :D
2.5 Ze straight neck, blitz intake, mazdaspeed engine mounts, fidenza flywheel, CM II Clutch, KL-36 ecu, Magnecor 8mm Leads, Battery Relocation. Hotshot headers, 2.5 mandrel bent stainless exhaust, hi-flow cat, Speed hut dials, custom coilover set up. Custom willwood big brake conversion.
ilovemazdas

Post by ilovemazdas »

hey mate , thanks for that , im just off the phone and have been offered a 92 1.6i mx3 , with 96000miles , for £1400 . . should i avoid this , and wait for the 1,8 V6 ??

heres what it looks like

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/ca ... ull=SEARCH

let me know what you think mate

thanks
ilovemazdas

Post by ilovemazdas »

i just checked elephant.co.uk , and its cheaper for me to insure a 1992 1.8V6 , than a 1992 1.6 ????

how do they work that out !
garfy1981

Post by garfy1981 »

lol, the 1.6 is prob classed more as a first time driver car.
Apparantely the 1.8 mx-3 is cheaper to ensure than a saxo vtr/vts where ever you live !!
garfy1981

Post by garfy1981 »

oh on the autotrader front, i think slightly over priced being so close to the milestone ( 100,000 ), even tho its got alloys, private plate and a tasty rear spoiler. I think for a 1992 it should be be less unless its imaculate and got good history. Im not too sure what to look out for on the 4 cyl 1.6 engines, or how fast they indeed are??. rsroadkilla has a 1.6 dohc maybe he can shed some info on what he thinks ???
BADMX3

Post by BADMX3 »

you've gotta get the 1.8 v6 much better car.

i work at a dealership and our cars book at less than 1K. So for 1500 i would expect a low mileage v6! as said before if your going to do an engine swap at a later date then you want pre 94. but if you want the best car for the money you can get a 98 r reg. it's the kind of car worth taking a gamble on ebay for.
ilovemazdas

Post by ilovemazdas »

yeah , i think i might hold out for the V6 , ive looked at a few on ebay , but most are in england , and i would need to be pretty sure about the car before heading over there to get one, as id need to pay flight / ferry over to there and for ferry cost back , and re-reg etc ... does anybody know what it costs to transport a car and 1 passanger from england to ireland ? i recon about £80 .

i told the dealer id drive up and take a look at that 92 , 1.6 tomorrow , but after looking on ebay and the autotrader , i think hes about £500 over priced , and the MOT on it runs out next month , and no TAX either , and its about 160 mile round trip from my house to the dealership , and im using a 2L Turbo Audi 80 , at the minute which does about 50miles to a tenner of fuel !

but you know what its like when you want something , ya think with your heart and not with your head ! , and to make it worse , its in the colour i want !

here are the details he gave me :

late 92. 1.6i mx3 , DOHC
17in alloys
155,000 k (klm not miles on the clock , would this mean its an import ??)
5 owners
MOT to june
daryl

sounds like an import

Post by daryl »

Yeah, sounds like an import to me.

My advice would be to go for the newest 1.8 v6, with the lowest milage you can afford.

If you do go for a 1.6, make sure it is a manual. They were all automatic before 1996.

performance:
Post 1996 1.6
1996 1.6i 1598cc 109-BHP 112MPH 0-60 in 10.2 MPG 37

1.8 V6
1991 1.8i 1845cc 130-BHP 126MPH 0-60 in 8.2 MPG 34

1.8 V6 SE (Special Edition)
1993 1.8i 1845cc 134-BHP ???MPH 0-60 in ???? MPG ??

1.8 V6 Equipe
1994 1.8i 1845cc 134-BHP ???MPH 0-60 in ???? MPG ??

Model changes:

1993 = Side Impact bars were added

1994 = a mild update to seats and trim - 1.8 recieved drivers airbag as standard - 1.8 recieved new alloy wheels - 1.6 engine upgraded from 88bhp to 109bhp

1996 = 1.6 manual introduced

Summary:
Get a post 94 1.8 (newest you can afford), listen to the engine before you buy as some have been ragged, as with any car look for decent amount of history.
ilovemazdas

Post by ilovemazdas »

i just spoke to the dealer today , before i drive up to see this car and he tells me that :

no service history
3 weeks MOT left
no TAX
import

so i think i will avoid it !!! , he is looking £1480 for it, and wasnt too pleased when i told him it was worth half that !
daryl

Cant find any mx-3's in Ireland within your budget

Post by daryl »

Cant find any mx-3's in Ireland within your budget, where would be the best place for you to get one in the uk.

I mean where do the car ferrys cross from?

Return to “European MX-3 Community”