Who has more HorsePower?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
PatMX3

Who has more HorsePower?

Post by PatMX3 »

Which ride would be faster? A 01' mitzu eclipse 2.1L 4cyl.16V .. Or my baby a 93' MX-3 1.8L 6cyl.24V ?. The size of the cylinders in this case the bigger 2.1L engine would put out more HP ?
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

Eclipse most likely because I dont think any eclipses came with low HP and Tq from the factory. Unfortunately, he'd kill you on top end as well unless you have modded drive train.
1993 MX-3 GS-SE -> Leather Interior, HEI Mod, Blaster 2 coil, NGK spark wires, Cold Air Intake, Underbody kit, Strut bar, Iridium plugs, Phoenix Gold amp 400w, Bazooka 12" sub-> 62,000 miles and still going ? Amazing lol..
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

MX3s are slow as hell
Unless you go for a engine swap
Seriously, I dont know why Mazda made the MX3s so slow, espically the V6 versions. I could see why with the 4cyl version, but why with the V6 versions?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

no kidding, they are dog slow. I had to swap in a 2.5 KLDE and a 50 shot of nitrous to even be somewhat satisfied. 8)
http://www.streetpsi.net

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS ZE
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

IMO, they may not be fast, but they aren't slow either (1.8L V6). Now a 1.3L I4 with 63 break horsepower Ford Aspire, that is slow :lol: . What's even more funny is that my friend who drives an Aspire got a ticket for doing 87 in a 70 (It took a while to get there and it was maxed out) LMAO.
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

Custom_V6_Limited_SE wrote:IMO, they may not be fast, but they aren't slow either (1.8L V6). Now a 1.3L I4 with 63 break horsepower Ford Aspire, that is slow :lol: . What's even more funny is that my friend who drives an Aspire got a ticket for doing 87 in a 70 (It took a while to get there and it was maxed out) LMAO.
What you talking about man thats big pimpin speed right there.
1993 MX-3 GS-SE -> Leather Interior, HEI Mod, Blaster 2 coil, NGK spark wires, Cold Air Intake, Underbody kit, Strut bar, Iridium plugs, Phoenix Gold amp 400w, Bazooka 12" sub-> 62,000 miles and still going ? Amazing lol..
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Did anyone consider the fact that an 01 Eclipse weighs like 3000 lbs+? I'd bet the V6 MX3.
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

I can only find the mitsu with a 2.4 I4 engine cylinder not a 2.1. at any rate here are the specs of both cars:

2001 Mitsubishi eclipse
Engine: 2.4 I4 16-valve
Horsepower: 147 hp @ 5500 rpm
Torque: 158 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm
Curb weight: 2904 lbs

1993 Mazda MX-3
Engine: 1.8 V6 24-valve
Horsepower: 128 hp @ 6500 rpm
Torque: 115 lb-ft @ 4500 rpm
Curb weight: 2443 lbs

I think the eclipse would win simply because the torque rating is much higher on it so it offsets the weight disadvantage of it.
PatMX3

Post by PatMX3 »

:(( well, i believe that you guys are right.. The eclipse would put some Whoop a--* on ma MX-3, but it wouldnt be a embarrasment! lmao*

I think i'll put the best engine i can find, perhaps the 2.5 klze that was mentioned*. SHe def wont go down with a wimper!! ... thats 4 sure
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

i'm afraid to say it but my buddy's neon is slightly faster then mine with only 130hp and 120tq i think if i had a really good start we'd probably be dead even but thats pushing it
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

You guys need to learn how to drive a bit better. No offence your bretheren and all, but ....

I never (and I truely mean never) lost a race in my 1.8L. I chose by battels carefully, but I'd take a 4 banger Mitsu all day. Especially since I study and practice driving skill.

If you are going to own a car that you think is cool and fast (or want it to be fast) then the best thing you can do is learn how to make sure any short comings are all on the car and not you loosing. Learn how to shift properlyand at what RPM. Learn how to launch and keep the suspension in good shape. Make sure to reasearch tires and buy the best you can afford. Keep the motor in top condition and whenever you buy a part get a upgraded one. Always do research on what parts you can buy and which one gives you the most bang for your buck.

I took Civic SIs with 160 HP and less weight all day, I could take a AWD turbo Talon until about 1/4 mile. (enough for me to get a car legnth ahead and then quit), Mustangs with V8s, 280Zs (turbo or non), Miatas (well old guys just cannot change gears that fast over their bellies, but hey) and tons of other crap.

I don't race the short stuff anymore, but what I'm saying is that you can beat alot of cars just b/c you can drive better. Power will only help when you are laying on the gas, there are tons of other points to improve that will make you alot quicker.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

PATDIESEL wrote:You guys need to learn how to drive a bit better. No offence your bretheren and all, but ....

I never (and I truely mean never) lost a race in my 1.8L. I chose by battels carefully, but I'd take a 4 banger Mitsu all day. Especially since I study and practice driving skill.

If you are going to own a car that you think is cool and fast (or want it to be fast) then the best thing you can do is learn how to make sure any short comings are all on the car and not you loosing. Learn how to shift properlyand at what RPM. Learn how to launch and keep the suspension in good shape. Make sure to reasearch tires and buy the best you can afford. Keep the motor in top condition and whenever you buy a part get a upgraded one. Always do research on what parts you can buy and which one gives you the most bang for your buck.

I took Civic SIs with 160 HP and less weight all day, I could take a AWD turbo Talon until about 1/4 mile. (enough for me to get a car legnth ahead and then quit), Mustangs with V8s, 280Zs (turbo or non), Miatas (well old guys just cannot change gears that fast over their bellies, but hey) and tons of other crap.

I don't race the short stuff anymore, but what I'm saying is that you can beat alot of cars just b/c you can drive better. Power will only help when you are laying on the gas, there are tons of other points to improve that will make you alot quicker.
well i know my car aint fast so i dont really care... its all about the looks for this sexy car... still gotta get rid of the tires i have with the car.. had cheap crap oil in it cuz it just got out of storage... and he's a fierce driver just pwns the crap out of that thing ahaha
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

yea i doubt you beat those cars with a k8.. like an awd talon like i can beat kl-ze mx'3 off the line and hold it until the end of the 1/4 they probly just didnt know how to drive or wasnt trying LOL unless u have proof of those cars i dont beleive it even if u did teach urself to be that good a k8 is still just to slow
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
slimmyslim1420

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

fieromx3 wrote:yea i doubt you beat those cars with a k8.. like an awd talon like i can beat kl-ze mx'3 off the line and hold it until the end of the 1/4 they probly just didnt know how to drive or wasnt trying LOL unless u have proof of those cars i dont beleive it even if u did teach urself to be that good a k8 is still just to slow
I believe Pat 100%. I have had a lot of similar races with my 1.8 where I was the underdog but came out on top from being a better driver. Just to make it clear though the other engine option on the eclipse is the 2.0 not a 2.1. Generally the only one with the 2.4 was the convertable.
1992 GS ZE swap 94 dash swap drilled and slotted rotors full ceramic pads CS SS clutch and brake lines KL-36 ecu zx-2 tokico struts eibach springs short shifter Tenzo exhaust Hi flow cat 2.5 in piping
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

[quote="PATDIESEL"]I took Civic SIs with 160 HP and less weight all day, I could take a AWD turbo Talon until about 1/4 mile. (enough for me to get a car legnth ahead and then quit), Mustangs with V8s, 280Zs (turbo or non), Miatas (well old guys just cannot change gears that fast over their bellies, but hey) and tons of other crap.
quote]

BS!!! Stock turbo talons should keep up with ze mx-3's driver skill being equal. Civic si's stock are very capable of low 15's which is a hell of a lot faster then a k8 mx-3. Onley way you are beating those guys is if they werent really racing you, or they missed a shift of something.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”