Erratic Idle

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
my13waysused

Erratic Idle

Post by my13waysused »

I've noticed that recently my car's idle has become a little unstable at times. For instance, when I come to a stop light and apply the brake, the idle will shoot up to 1 1/2 and down to around 500. It does this repeatedly until I release my foot from the brake. This also seems to happen alot at night for some reason. When going through the gears, there is no hesitation or other noticable problem. What could this be?
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

i have the same problem.....
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Pull codes.

Check for vaccume leaks, esp in the intake boot.

Clean your TB.

If it happens @ night, could be electrical, if it only happens when the lights are on.
Marts

Post by Marts »

man I ask that before same thing here rpms goes up and down at the lights and my engine light is on come you mechanic we need an anwser for this

ty
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

I had that problem on my 240sx and it turned out to be a vacume leak. Just check all the lines.
reprobation

Post by reprobation »

I had a pretty similar problem recently.. Actually found out it was the terminals on my battery.. the negative battery terminal wasn't completely tight and i think it was over-working the system because of the weak connection..

I also had problems with my lights dimming when i used the turn signals, and when I used the AC...

Just a thought!
hobbypete

Post by hobbypete »

I suggest you disconnect the Idle Speed Control Valve electrical connector, to see whether it has any effect. If it's faulty, the idle may stabilize at the default level for 68 deg F with it disconnected. If it's not faulty, your problem lies elsewhere. Does the problem persist if you put the car in neutral while stopped? Or only in gear with the brakes on? I assume it's automatic?

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”