92 mx3 gs trans problems any help?

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
92mx3v6

92 mx3 gs trans problems any help?

Post by 92mx3v6 »

I recently picked up a 92 mx3 1.8 v6. When I started driving it I noticed the tranny having trouble shifting from 2nd to 3rd when shifting the rpm's jump from 3 to 4.5 and then back down to 3 before it shifts hard into 3rd. I checked the fluid and it was pitch black. I had it flushed and the filter changed. Tonight I went to get on it to pass someone and it felt like I had shifted to nuetral but the shifter was still in drive. I coasted to the side of the road where nothing happened no matter what gear I was in. I noticed that when in any gear but park my hold light was blinking. I played with the shift lock button for a few minutes and still nothing so I called my friend to come get me. I decided to give it one last try and it shifted into reverse no problem. I drove home without a problem and now it seems to work okay and no flashing light. I've also noticed that when turning onto a new road it doesn't downshift and takes forever to accelerate. Is there a sensor or something causing this or is it time to retire my tranny? I'd love to swap it to a manual but with the mileage on it I'm not sure if it would be worth it. It has 164,000 miles. I love the way the car handles and the acceleration it has. Would it be rediculous to swap for a 2.5 and a manual tranny? Keep in mind I'm useless mechanically. If I could get a 2.5 and the manual and keep my cost below $5,000 I would do it. I'm also not oppossed to puting another AT in if someone has one cheap enough. I know I asked a lot of questions but if anyone out there could help it would be appreciated big time. Thanks again.
DoctorP

Post by DoctorP »

Check the fluid level. Start simple
Damn cars!!!
92mx3v6

really?

Post by 92mx3v6 »

If you read the post I just had the tranny flushed the fluid is fine.
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

If you got it "Power" flushed - then its time for rebuild/replacement.
If you just got a simple flush then its possible they didnt install something right and the fluid leaked out - it happened to me and i had the same symptoms you describe. For me the car ran ok when its cold and once the engine warmed up or i did some hard acceleration - it would feel like the car is in neutral. I had to shut-off the engine and wait for it to cool and then it would move ok. There is a procedure for checking tranny fluid level somewhere in the manual - you wont get an accurate reading unless you follow the procedure. Also since the hold light was blinking it might be a good idea to pull codes from the tranny controller - if there are any codes it will tell you exactly what is wrong. And generally its a good idea to install an extra transmission cooler because our trannies run hot and that leads to breakdown.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

My tranny did pretty much the same thing yours did. The next day, mines died on me. I hope it is something minor, but, chances are, your tranny is about to go out.
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared

Return to “Transmissions”