VRIS question plus a couple others.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
DoctorP

VRIS question plus a couple others.

Post by DoctorP »

Ok here is the deal. I have installed the KLDE in my GS MX-3. I am running the K8 disty, original wiring harness, KL-01 ECU, KL-02 VAF. engine starts and runs sort of ok. The VRIS is not opening when you rev it up. There is a squealing coming from the back of the engine which is NOT a belt. When I plug in one of the VRIS solenoids, I believe the number 1, the actuator moves right away. When I plug in number two nothing happens. I am wondering which wires should be powered when the key is on and what should happen. I have been reading stuff about this all night and cannot figure it out. Also the engine idles at around 1500 RPM and sometimes surges. However I believe that is the TPS which is a pain in the arse to set properly. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Scott
Damn cars!!!
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

on a klde. at idle the #1 vris should remain open and #2 shut.
over 75% WOT, they should follow the vris point change.
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
DoctorP

Post by DoctorP »

Right now the #1 shutter opens when the key is turned on and remains open all the time. #2 never opens. I am at a loss. Any suggestions?
Damn cars!!!
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

hey um i tought that the vris has to be closed at idle and as u rev it it opens... am i wrong?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
DoctorP

Post by DoctorP »

that was my thought as well but i have been unable to find the info i need to verify this.
Damn cars!!!
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Well i followed the diagrasm, and my vcuums are correct when my car was runnign fine, yup vris 1 was opening around 3400. When its plugged in backwards the first one would be closed. Babyblue knows way more than me... check online manual.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

DoctorP wrote:Right now the #1 shutter opens when the key is turned on and remains open all the time. #2 never opens. I am at a loss. Any suggestions?
I just told you, #1 should be open at idle and #2 closed at idle. You say it's stays like that no matter what you do ? How did you verify this ?
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
DoctorP

Post by DoctorP »

by watching them as the engine revs up. #2 never moves. does the engine need to be under load or can I just watch them while revving the engine.
Damn cars!!!
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

You can watch them while reving. The motor does not have a destinction between load and neutral.

I don't know the points at which a KL-DE should open or close so I cannot help you there. However, I would take a VRIS siliniod off your K8 and try it in place of the #2 on your DE. This will tell you if it is the siliniod that is malfunctioning. (well, if the K8 one is good anyway)

Check the online manual for how to test the siliniods if you don't have a spare. If you have to do an electrical diagnosis good luck. The only person on here who could begin to tell you how to test them elecrically is Grants.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Macen

Post by Macen »

When the engine is running, disconnect the connector to #1 VRIS and connect it to #2. VRIS #2 shall now open. At idle #1 is open as default. If you want to check them when driving (more than 75% throttle), but some paper at the VRIS actuators. Both papers should be gone when you have done the test.

Here's a good thread at Probetalk: http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=42800

This vacuum diagram is helpful:
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
DoctorP

Post by DoctorP »

I have tested the solenoids as well as the diagphrams and the check valve. everything is as it shoud be. when i plug #1 into #2 it does open right away. however #2 doesn't open at all when hooked up correctly.
Damn cars!!!
Dom

Post by Dom »

vris number 2 is supposed to open at 4250rpms....both are suppose to close at 6250rpm just fyi
Macen

Post by Macen »

Check the #2 VRIS connector for +12V (red wire) whit the ignition in position ON.
Have you done the paper test with more than 75% throttle?
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

then mine are wrong... and its weird i do have the samne set up as in that diagram.. vris 1 and 2 are closed atr idle, as car gets to 3.5 k rpms it opens.. second opens at 5 k rpms... hmm odd
-hec

Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

OK, i guess no one listens..

If you are using the US KL ECU...the VRIS will NOT open while reving in nuetral. The car has to be under a load...i believe it was 75% or more.

#1 is open at idle...and then it will close as u drive and open again when it needs to.

I never undestand y people make it more complicated than it needs to be.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”