Rattle/ tick from rear half of motor? whiny noise?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
2.5mazda

Rattle/ tick from rear half of motor? whiny noise?

Post by 2.5mazda »

So this is normal correct? I have searched and read so many different things about it.... Is it in the valve lash or somthing alse? I just changed my oil to semi synthrtic valvoline today. It hasnt gotten any better. My engine has just over 100,000 miles on it. I know in my hondas it was normal, but I wasnt sure about this?

I also noticed a whiney noise comming from the power steering/ waterpump/ timing belt side of the car. All belts are new and tight. It increases in loudness as you get into it. You can barely hear it on the inside of the car, but at idle outside it is noticable. It has a new powersteering pump.

thanks for any and all help! :wink:
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Make sure your fluids are all topped off. Other than that the whine might be a pulley bearing going bad. A repair shop should be able to locate the problem pretty quickly if you are having trouble finding it. The best way to look for it is to take the passanger wheel off and then the wheel well. This will expose most of the pullies and you should be able to tell exactly which one is the noisy one.

As for the ticking, it is normal and doesn't really effect the car. You can fix it though by doing a few things. First you can modify the cam friction gear and it will help or quit, or you can use full synthetic oil and it will help, or you can go to Mazda and tell them about the noise and they have an oil additive that will also help.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
gsr-se

Post by gsr-se »

That honestly sounds like the water pump is on its way out..... One day youll notice a large puddle under the car...the bearing in the water pumps gonna let go.... Its the the same noise mine made till it went....whinnyish sound...got louder with more throttle..Then I had a gusher of green fluid all over when i got home one day, complete w/green puddle...It'll only leak/gush bad when running...then somewhat slowly trickle down less and less with loss of pressure...So keep an eye on your temp. gauge if u plan on driving around....Keep some water in the trunk, to cool the engine if needed, to atleast get u home, or to a garage....Look at it as a bonus though... you'll get a new timing belt also when you get the new water-pump...So if your engine has about 100k on it, you would be changing the timing belt anyways....And the timing belt is right there before you get to the water-pump....

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”