Sunroof issues

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
mrnhmx3

Sunroof issues

Post by mrnhmx3 »

I'm rebuildig my 1992 GS and I'm havin issues with my sunroof. It opens fine, but when it goes to close, it won't close all the way, like its not being guided in right. Went to several junkyards around here and couldn't find a MX3 with a sunroof intact to compare the 2 to see if something is broken or mising. Mazda dealer wants to charge me $35 an hour to look at it, and my mechanic doesn't know too much on sunroofs. The crazy thing-most of the time it works, but sometimes it doesn't.

Also, the weather stripping around the sunroof doesn't reach all the way around-has like a good 1"-2" gap between ends. On my junkyard travels i picked up a new strip and that one doesn't reach either-is it supposed too? Im afraid of me not getting home in time to throw the tarp over it so it doesn't leak again-crazy new england weather
Jacbs2007

Post by Jacbs2007 »

the weatherstripping on my sunroof has a gap in the middle where the two peices meet. it's about 1/2-1" I'd say. Mine doesn't leak but I have had the problem once before where it would not close all the way, it would close to the point where it just had to drop down but then would just sit there. I Believe there is a belt in there and I'm pretty sure that when it didn't close entirely it was due to the belt slipping. Perhaps your belt is worn and loose, if there even is 1. Check the Online Shop manual. the link is on the front page.

-Curt-
1993 GS
-MS front -functional molded hood scoop
-MS molded sides-shaved antenna
-Civic projectors -New black paintjob
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

is there any part coming out of the guiders? If its just sticking, it may just need to be cleaned up and greased
and the weather stripping on both my cars also has a half inch gap where the ends meet
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

just lubricate it real good, mine would get stuck on hot days sometimes but after i cleaned track/lubed it, it operates like new
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Bolverk

Post by Bolverk »

Mine had trouble closing for a while, then it opened and wouldnt close at all, so I had to close it manually, which was a pain. It is still broken, the motor makes noise when I press the button. I tried checking the online shop manual, but the sunroof pages either arent uploaded yet or they just wont load for me.
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

Bolverk wrote:Mine had trouble closing for a while, then it opened and wouldnt close at all, so I had to close it manually, which was a pain. It is still broken, the motor makes noise when I press the button. I tried checking the online shop manual, but the sunroof pages either arent uploaded yet or they just wont load for me.

probably the motor.....have to pop off the headliner to get to it
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Just clean the hell out of the rails. Don't worry about lubricating them, I had the same problem and cleaning them ONCE has worked for the last 2 years.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
mrnhmx3

Post by mrnhmx3 »

I'll clean it and hope it keeps workin. If it leaks, I still have the old weaherstriping, so I'll just a cut a piece to fill the gap.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”