There's a noise coming from my Powersteering pulley

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Jonnyboy7002

There's a noise coming from my Powersteering pulley

Post by Jonnyboy7002 »

Whenever I start up my car and have the defrost or any other accesory on, the belt/pulley? Also whenever I turn my steering wheel the whole way left or right a noise will come from the powesteering? And whenever i took a look under the hood whenever i had the wheel turned I notice the pulley stopped? How could i fix this?
twoie

Post by twoie »

pull the belt off the power steering pump and check the pulley for side to side play. Also try to spin it by hand. Sounds like your power steering is about to take a crap.

twoie
Jonnyboy7002

Post by Jonnyboy7002 »

I talked to a mechanic about it, and he said that i should just replace the belt, and he said it should be alright?
92mazdaman

Post by 92mazdaman »

usually when it sqeaks it means the bearings inside are not lubed and its about to crap out on you
im yergie
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

welcome to my world i think mine is just from the ac pump but i will most likely be changing my steering pumpo as well
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

its just an evil demon, get an exorsist.
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

i've had a priet trip on ice in front of my car before and spilled his coffee on the hood could that count as being splashed with holy water

if so i think the demon is still in it
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

My 93 RS makes sounds also whenever I turn the wheels left or right and also when I start the car up in the moring, I hear some type of churning sound as well. However, I noticed, once she gets warmed up, it stops. If it's the power steering pump, then I'll just replace it when she does crap out.
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

My previous car had a leaky PS system - so if i hear a noise while turning i know its time to put more fluid in there.

So some of the simple things i would check/do maybe
-Check Fluid Level (Low fluid level is one of the easiest things to fix)
-Fill it with the right fluid (if you use the wrong viscosity then the pump might struggle until the fluid gets warmed up and flows freely)
-PS Flush (There might be rust,clogs, degraded oil chunks etc blocking the passages - the system might still have the 11-15 year old fluid hanging in there)
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”