Racing style shifting opinions and facts.

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mazdamx3sohc

Racing style shifting opinions and facts.

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

i wanna start a topic on shifting while racing how people get it to chirp into second and how to get a fast start in first without peeling out any suggestions? i also cant get it to shirp second.
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Oh dear. you might wanna look in the drag racing section though.

I think this has been talking about in various round about ways over time in there.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

know any links specificly?
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

Chirping the tires in second gear is more about Torque than shifting. If you are unable to do it, it is likely because your car doesn't have enough power to break them loose. Chirping the tires means that you are momentarily breaking traction. Judging from your title you have a 1.6L 4 banger. The stock 4 banger guys might be able to tell you the best rpm to launch at, but you could find it by dropping the clutch at a certain RPM and if the tire spin...drop the RPMs. Its a pretty simple concept. You want all of the power of the car pushing on the pavement, not spinning across it. I have never driven a 1.6, but I doubt that you will chirp the tires in second unless the pavement is wet...and honestly why would you want to?

Hope that helps.
93 GS KLZE Straight Neck (Parked)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

my friend(kinda) has a p.o.s. tercel 4spd manual. he can chirp them in 2nd easily. that thing is only like 72-77 hp.
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

tourqe does not equal horsepower

get a new clutch. MX-3 stock ones are natoriously bad
DJ

Post by DJ »

I would have to say it depends on the tires also. It's going to be alot easier to break loose some generic $40 tire than a set of Falken's or Yokohama's.
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

Again I say, why would you want to break them loose? Go round up 4 spare tire/doughnuts and rip on those bad boys. You will chirp em for sure and you will probably slide right off the road in a turn. Good rubber keeps you planted to the ground so that you have traction. Traction is good for Acceleration, Braking and Cornering. Lack of traction can be a great natural laxative usually accompanied by OH SHHHHHHH!
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

haha! lol. i have a new clutch when i bought the car like 6 months old. still good. and some toyo spectrums. not too stock, not too performance. although my clutch does grind when im racing(DISCLAIMER: keep in mind all stunts talked about or performed by me are on the track and not on the street cuz i would never promote anything illegal) Id bring it up to like 5.5 then shift into 2nd or third and it would grind and not go in. anybody else have the same problem?
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

mazdamx3sohc wrote:Although my clutch does grind when im racing
Grinding is caused by either bad shifting skills or possibly bad syncros/clutch settings... If it doesn't do it when your not racing, then it's probly just shifting incorrectly.

And DJ was right about the tires. I used to have a pos civic that was slow as hell, but it was fun (and unsafe) because it could pull 10+ second burnouts without using the brakes, simply because the tires were stale rocks. After some new tires I could barely chirp in first.
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

my toyos were new in my car and i could always peel in them, like the time i was showing this kid whos not realy a friend but kinda, i was showing him my new mx when i bought it and they were all like that car sucks a-- and i was like whatever peace and peeld allll the way across the lot (like 60 ft) going all the way through like 3rd.
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

im kinda confused on what you want here. you have a small engine (shoc) without much tourqe. and everything we reccomend to you is wrong in your eyes. in all honesty, the only way to get the little tourge you have to the pavement is to get a performance clutch. (i replaced my clutch with one with about 200% more pressure the first week i had the car) other than that, build a custom build supercharger setup. thats really the only way to get alot of low end tourqe.

there isnt going to be a magical cure.
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

i have a 94 dohc and chirp 2nd with no problem. i have goodyear assurance tripletred so they are not performance tires. there are only 2 roads that i have ever been able to grab 3rd on, but they are relatively new pavement so that helps. i don't know how you shift or anything but if i'm lookin to chirp tires, right before i dump the clutch for 2nd or 3rd gear, i get my foot in the gas before the clutch is dropped. althought you may have a blast burning your tires and squallin all over town, think about this. not only will you have to buy tires every time you turn around and maybe have to pay an ugly amount of money to the good ole' sheriff department, but you may have to buy a new tranny. trust me on this one, i was grabbing gears all over the place one night and shot the diff pin thru the TOP AND BOTTOM of it's casing. while some people may think this is an amazing feat, replacing the tranny is not worth the glory of burning out. (god i sounded like a parent)
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

well thank you that helped, everyone else was saying buy this or dont do this, but i was just looking for some one to say like, before you shift bring it up to this rpm or whatever. alright can someone close this thread.
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

Bla Bla Bla...Quit spinning the tires. :)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”