Basic Acceleration Tips

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
breenmachine

Basic Acceleration Tips

Post by breenmachine »

Hey, I'm just learning to drive standard (well its been a few months) I'm really competant now, got all my up and down shifts smooth and theres no problems but I was wondering what are the basics on getting your car going faster?

I know you shift at higher RPM but how high? How do you start out fast in first? That's my main problem? Anything else you can add for a newb? Thanks.

(I have a stock 96 4 cylinder DOHC if that matters for anything)
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

hey whatsup, i got a 93 mx3 sohc 4 cyl. i would say when you wanna take off bring it up to like 2.5 let of try not to squeel the tires, as you are letting off the clutch hit the gas more and more, bring it up to 5.5 then shift(thats what i bring it to in my sohc sometimes) you could probably easily redline it at 6 and shift.
Rick Johnson

Re: Basic Acceleration Tips

Post by Rick Johnson »

breenmachine wrote:Hey, I'm just learning to drive standard (well its been a few months) I'm really competant now, got all my up and down shifts smooth and theres no problems but I was wondering what are the basics on getting your car going faster?

I know you shift at higher RPM but how high? How do you start out fast in first? That's my main problem? Anything else you can add for a newb? Thanks.

(I have a stock 96 4 cylinder DOHC if that matters for anything)
Unless your racing I wouldn't bother revving it up hard off the line, just release and gas at the same time when the clutch is fully out punch it and take it right to the redline then shift.

For advanced techniques try shifting really fast without out taking your foot off the gas. And also when you down shift, you should try to rev match and make it as smooth as possible. After you get that stuff down try downshifting while braking+revving+clutching it all at the same time thats the "heel toe" driving style.

And after you master all those, you can try shifting without using the clutch. If you do it just right it slides into gear like butter.
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

what he mean by rev matching for down shifting, just to learn this go for a drive and when you are quite a ways from a red light say you are in 4th, shift it to 3rd, SLOWLY(until you get the hang of it) while in third slowly let off the clutch as you let off the clutch it will match the rev. if you just downshift and dont rev match you will end up getting your neck broken off.
rich-k
BANNED Member

Post by rich-k »

every car is different. just get her going with the most rpm (power) you can give it without breaking th tires loose
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

whats ttt?
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

to the top and he's been doing that for almost all the threads today :roll:
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

oh ok, hey i saw your car alot they use it on ebay for the eyelids.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

mazdamx3sohc wrote:oh ok, hey i saw your car alot they use it on ebay for the eyelids.
lol yeah I know they've been doing that for some time now
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

lucky a--, nice mx3
Boris

Post by Boris »

mazdamx3sohc wrote:what he mean by rev matching for down shifting, just to learn this go for a drive and when you are quite a ways from a red light say you are in 4th, shift it to 3rd, SLOWLY(until you get the hang of it) while in third slowly let off the clutch as you let off the clutch it will match the rev. if you just downshift and dont rev match you will end up getting your neck broken off.
I don't think that's what Rick Johnson meant when he said rev matching. I believe he was refering to double clutching, or even giving it some gas while downshifting and the clutch is in. I doubt he meant letting the clutch out really slowly. I've had just a bit too much to drink to try and explain double clutching... but type in double clutching on google or something and find out how to do it there. Double clutching is better for your tranny, and in my opinion makes everyday driving more fun. It also makes your downshifts smoother if you do it right.
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

Ok well because of the sycnros now adays, you don't need to double clutch.

double clutching goes as follows

- clutch in - shift to neutral - clutch out-
- rev match - clutch in - shift into next gear -

it really won't make much of a difference, especially if your racing..it'll slow you down..

BUT

when downshifting, you shoudl probably do something liek this

- clutch in - shift into lower gear - rev match - release clutch slowely - let of gas until you've reached desired speed...

ah the art of standard. Oh, and for the hills, just keep your foot on the break, let of the clutch abit and then give it gas, and you wont' roll at all...eventually you'll do it quick enough that you can go from break to gas without letting the clutch out first.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
Boris

Post by Boris »

Yeah you pretty much said what I said and put it into clear words lol.

Double clutching isn't necessary, it's just a little easier on your tranny.

If you wanna learn how to rev match like the real racers do watch some best motoring videos...you can find em on google video and the good thing about these videos is there's a camera focused on the drivers' feet.

Check out the link... or just type in best motoring on google video and browse yourself: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... t+motoring

These drivers are awesome
Jacbs2007

Post by Jacbs2007 »

Rick Johnson wrote: And after you master all those, you can try shifting without using the clutch. If you do it just right it slides into gear like butter.
Uhm...were you joking? I mean if it shifted into gear like butter without the clutch, then why even have a clutch in the first place? I've never tried it myself, but I'm sure if you don't use your clutch it 1. will probably not shift into gear easily and 2. will blow your transmission up after about a day.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

-Curt-
1993 GS
-MS front -functional molded hood scoop
-MS molded sides-shaved antenna
-Civic projectors -New black paintjob
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

Jacbs2007 wrote:
Rick Johnson wrote: And after you master all those, you can try shifting without using the clutch. If you do it just right it slides into gear like butter.
Uhm...were you joking? I mean if it shifted into gear like butter without the clutch, then why even have a clutch in the first place? I've never tried it myself, but I'm sure if you don't use your clutch it 1. will probably not shift into gear easily and 2. will blow your transmission up after about a day.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

-Curt-
Ya you can do it, i used to do it all the time in my Chevette right through every gear...all 4...lol, in the MX-3 its a bit harder...you need to rev it a bit and just lightly put pressure on the shifter and the gear almost sucks it in as the revs drop, if you miss it, feather the gas and get the revs back up and try it again. With a bit of practise you can feel when its the right time, its when the engine and the tranny are spinning at the rame RPM.

Prob not the best thing to do for your tranny, but its fun when you get it. I havent tried it in a while, well c today at lunch :wink:

If your going to try it second is for future fun, the window is much smaller....try going into 3rd or 4th. And dont push the shifter hard.

g/l

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”