Burning oil

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Marts

Burning oil

Post by Marts »

Hello Everyone

Im maybe a little old to do this but here goes I have an 18 son that drives my wife mx3 now him being a typical tennager he drives it rought but ey it is a sporty little car. Anyways since he been driving the car its now falling apart.

First question im burning oil its realy bad in the morning when my wife first starts it to a point where shes ytelling me to get rid of it and get me the new rx8 now i dont want to spend the money on an rx8 so do i need to change the valve seals and how hard can it be ? If its easy anough where can i get a manual?

second question The engine light stays on when shes stoped at a light the engine rpm goes up and down as soon as she touches the break. we did a computer test nothing came up mazda told me its the exaust sensor and another mazda told me the o2 so I though i would ask the expert u kids with ur hats on backwards :).

ty for the help
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

a few things 1st..

SOHC or DOHC?

we have an online manual for the DOHC and V6, link is on the front page of this site.
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

not to hijack the thread, but why dont we have a online manual for the sohc?

BOchek
Marts

Post by Marts »

ty for reply

its dohc 1.6l 4 cyl

ty
Marts
Marts

Post by Marts »

where can i find the online manual ?

ty
alex3ohio

Post by alex3ohio »

your pcv valve might be bad. That will cause you to burn oil. Alot easier to fix then valve seals. And check your compression first because if your rings are shot that will cause you to burn oil as well.
Marts

Post by Marts »

ok will do I did check my compression it was down in one but not to bad

where can I get the online manual ?
Cy

Post by Cy »

http://www.mx-3.com

On the sidebar... Online Shop Manual
Marts

Post by Marts »

ty :oops:
ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005)

Post by ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005) »

Your compression schould not vary more than 10% in all 4/6 cylinders. If one of your cylinders is much lower then all the others you most likley have either a leaking head gasket a leaking valve stem seal or pistonringsucancheck to see if you have a blown/ leaking head gasket by checking you coolent wich sould be either red or green. if its milky / brown or smells like gas you know its your head gasket. if all cylinders read low and one of them is much lower then youll know its your piston rings. you can uselly tell by how long the car smokes. If it only dose it when you first start the car then you know its not the head gasket or the piston rings. Usully if its your valve stem seals it will do most of the smoking when you first start the car then very little after that. When i did a compression on my mx (4 cly) they all read around 175 psi if all of your cylinders are less then 130 psi somthing isnt right. its most likly your the valve stem seals which isnt too hard of a job to do as long as you are fimilar with engine work. you can do it without taking the head off and will only take a few hours. good luck!
Apexi Safc 2 ,Timex Boost-Temp-Oil Gauges, Stage 1 Performance clutch, 8.5 mm Magnacore plug Wires,2.5 inch exhaust, Cold Air Intake , Short Shifter , High temp rotors & Ceramic pads to slow it all down !
Marts

Post by Marts »

ok ty now tomorrow i start

what parts and tools should i get
I need valve seal valve stem seals cover gasket
anything else i should do while im in there getting dirty?

do i need a valve lifter? or anything else ?

ty for the help

Marts

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”