whats wrong with my tranny ?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
JWMX3

whats wrong with my tranny ?

Post by JWMX3 »

Well i'll start off by saying my axles, suspension components are all new.

whenever i move the steering wheel to the right i get horrible grinding if im going at least 40, as its gotten worse it sometimes does the same thing in a straight line..... it must be trans. internal because if i step on the clutch while its grinding i get silence

i dont know about tranny internals, never had one apart...... could it be the differential gear or diff. gear bearing ? and why when i turn right but its fine to the left ?
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Try repalcing hte axles first. Some times they mess up when rebuilding them and use a bad part to start with. They don't check the axles before they sell them. We are having a similar problem with one of the MOCA members cars and he has yet to replace the axle to see if that is the problem. I'll try and remember to repost after he replaces it. It is not a ticking sound that comes from a busted CV joint, but a grinding noise as if the axle or tranny is loose.
Also check and make sure that the axle nuts are on tight. You'll need to take the nut off first so that the pinch in the nut is removed. Otherwise you cannot tell if it is tight or the pinch is holding it from tightening anymore.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

ive been through all that....... my pass side axle is a reman, there have been 2 others and it did the same thing, my drivers side is brand new --- ive had this prob for a long time, -i think ive been thru every possibility except tranny.... i just didnt post until now because now i have the tranny pulled out of the car

since i can hold the clutch in and there is no noise, it must be tranny because its silent when disconnected from the engine

thats the way i see it, i just dont know what because i dont know transmissions very well
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

If it happens with clutch engaged and not when unengaged, it may be a load transfer stress issue on your clutch setup.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Just a thought.. while your axles are out.. measure their length and see if you can get a measurement from Mazda as to what they are supposed to be.. I saw on a Civic once where one of the axles was 9 mm shorter than what it should be and it ended up grinding on the tips of the splines of the axle whenever he went around a right hand corner. Dunno if your having the same problem.. but its worth checking out.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Mazda won't tell you anything. I tried that when I need a custom axle built. You could still try them though. Who knows, the person who answers your call might feel pitty on you and find the answer.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
MX3 GSR for dummies

Post by MX3 GSR for dummies »

It may be an inner tie rod end. Hoist car up and shake the wheel violently. If it moves than it just may be. :wink:
If at first you don't succeed....it never happened

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

MX3 GSR for dummies wrote:It may be an inner tie rod end. Hoist car up and shake the wheel violently. If it moves than it just may be. :wink:
yes I heard that if thats the problem the "inner tirrod" will bang against the steering gear or something and theres my noise............ but why is it then, haynes, chiltons, and my shop manual says nothing about an inner tie rod end ? even when i got my trw tie rods the parts place asked me if i want inner or outer... and of course i just bought outer

so that raises my next Q.... has anyone actually replaced an inner tie rod end ?

for some reason according to every manual i look at it dosent exist
MX3 GSR for dummies

It does exist. Just look under your car and follow the tie rod accross and you'll see the tie rod boot. I have to replace mine soon. I am getting that same grinding too.

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

ok your talking about the steering gear boot.... i pulled the boot back on my drivers side and there is like a ball joint type thing must be the inner tie rod ...... the boot on that side is torn to s---

but it dosent explain why my grinding stops instantly when i step on the clutch, it shouldnt make any difference if the prob is that inner joint
MX3 GSR for dummies

Power Strain??? That happens with the transaxles.

JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

Im bringing this back from the dead... unfortunatly

i made this post with my K8, while the engine was out I replaced both Inner tie rod ends with new ones. Now my DE is in and the same damn thing is happening, onyl its actually worse to the point i can even drive the car, except at very low speeds

ive tried to eliminate certain things, all i have left at this point is trans related, maybe intermediate shaft bearing, steering gear bushing ?

in the haynes manual under manual trans trouble shooting it says :

noise most pronounced when turning - differential gear noise

clunk on accel or decel - worn diff pinion shaft in case

i dont know, ive reached desperation mode, this same problem has been plagueing me for a long time and its to the point now the car isnt road worthy :shock:
Bucking Bronco

Post by Bucking Bronco »

Not driving your car should be a crime :)

Have you had it on a hoist/jack stands and replicated the problem? maybe use a mechanics stethoscope or your hands where its Safe

When the tranny was out how did it look/feel? Have you checked the mtx oil for shinny bits? I think your right on the tranny.

Sorry if this is obvious stuff you checked already, I'm new here :oops:
Addicted to the Speed
92 MX-3 GS K8 - CAI
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

I cant really replicate it on jack stands since i need to be going a fair speed before anything is felt/heard

there are no bits in my trans fluid, however I yanked 2 BIG chunks of metal sitting right by the drain plug just this morning, after the fluid was all out - thats a good sign

the stethoscope is a good idea

btw you are the first person on 2 forums to agree with me on this, lol :lol:

i need some support before i go pulling my tranny... needless to say I dont trust myself if no one is going to agree
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Don't know what to say Joe. Noise from there when at low speed is always something related to outer CV joint - usually. Since your's (axles)are replaced, It's hard to figure out. Is this an MX3 tranny that's mated to the DE? I hope you didn't get a lunched tranny and spend all that cash on other items needlessly. That would hurt.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”