Easy Speaker Question

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
breenmachine

Easy Speaker Question

Post by breenmachine »

I have a set of JL Audio 12W3V2's running off a Directed 600D in the trunk. I think it runs at around 600W RMS. They blow my unamplified sony xplod speakers away and I want to upgrade the speakers.

I understand how wiring for something easy like a sub works and did mine myself but noones ever explained to me how amplified speakers work. What kind of amp would I be looking at getting if for example I wanted to replace my 4 factory speakers with some quality ones and maybe a set of tweeters. Would I need a 4 channel amp? Also all the speakers I was looking at, even the quality ones only run at like 50W or 80W or something that I found surprisingly low.

Pretty much my question is could someone just show me an example of a good speaker system (not something completly foolish, just enough to about match my subs) and it's amp so I can check out the specs on everything and get a good feel for this stuff before I start looking to buy.

THanks
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

-The higher the frequency, the less power you need. 50W RMS is a perfect amount.

-You don't NEED a four channel amp. If you get a 2ohm stable amp you can drive four 4ohm speakers. But you will only have a ballance. No fading.

-I have an alpine 4channel running 40W into 4ohm (with 50W at 2ohm) with Polk 6.5's (50W rms)

-If you don't know what your doing, talk to a professional and have them do the work.
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

mr1in6billion is right you don't need a hole lot of power to amp your speakers you also don't really have to amp all 4 i've got mine set up with only the font door speakers being amped and two soft dome tweeters runing in seires and paralleled between the left and right channel to create a center channel i just run the rears off the deck as a fill channel you don't even really hear them with the system going. so i wouldn't worroy to much about the rear speakers.

but if your looking for a good set of speakers look for componets they tend to handel a lot more power (my rockfords are rated at 180w rms , and you cAN GET A SET OF JBL'S/ INFINITY that are rated around 200w rms)

Reaper
Greg
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”