shifting problem

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
wuzup1376

shifting problem

Post by wuzup1376 »

i have a 93 mx-3 1.6l sohc and when im racing my second gear bogs after i shift why is this?? and is my fifth gear sapposed to be over that far??
jacob hebert
azazel95

Post by azazel95 »

So when you're not racing it is fine? What rpm do you shift?

And how far over is your fifth gear? Above reverse or further over?
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

its just the gearing, trust me. it took a long time for me to adjust from my zx2, that had a super short 2nd gear and the MX-3 is very different. if you get an exhaust and intake, you will get a bit more tourqe, and it will help out
alex3ohio

Post by alex3ohio »

Simple my friend. The 1.6 liter motor makes about 88 horsepower. The pour little car wants to go so bad but is so slow it can't get out of it's own way. Not a problem just a reality.
wuzup1376

Post by wuzup1376 »

yea it always does that when i shift to second and sometimes when i shift to third!!! i shift when im racing at 6500 rpm. normally i shift about 3500rpms. my fifth gear is the same as reverse but its just really fare over, farther over then most cars!! i was told from a friend of mine that he thinks it my clucth but im not sure. whould it be the clucth!!
jacob hebert
DJGypsy

Post by DJGypsy »

if the shifter throws are too wide/far, it's more than likely that the bushings in the shifter linkage are shot. mazda will charge you $400+ to fix this. or you can go to a local shop, and have them change out the bushings for new ones for about $7 a piece. there are 3-4 of them.

as far as your 2nd gear bog, the previous posts are right on the money. MX3s with the 1.6L sohc are rediculously underpowered. forget merging with traffic. i personally want to pimp slap the engineer who decided to put such an uninspiring engine in such a sharp looking car with great handing potential. the DOHC has a fighting chance, but still falls short too. the V6 is just begging to be swapped, it's a direct bolt job.
-Dan
(SOLD) '94 RS, rebuilt B6 DOHC engine & cyl head, ACT clutch, e-bay CAI, 2 1/4" exhaust, wide open resonator w/ stock muffler, H&R springs, Tokico HPs, front strut tower brace, KVR drilled rotors w/ carbon fiber pads, Falken tires, Impostor lightweight wheels, Kenwood & MTX sound.

straights are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.
wuzup1376

Post by wuzup1376 »

does anyone know where i could get an engine swap for my car?? cause ive been looking for one!! or maybe anything that i could put on the 1.6l to make it a lil faster cause im not really looking for something super fast just want a lil more out of the 1.6!! and would putting a short shifter on the 1.6 make it any faster??
jacob hebert
DJGypsy

Post by DJGypsy »

there is a HUGE amount of info about swaps on this site. you can find it all here:

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/search.php
-Dan
(SOLD) '94 RS, rebuilt B6 DOHC engine & cyl head, ACT clutch, e-bay CAI, 2 1/4" exhaust, wide open resonator w/ stock muffler, H&R springs, Tokico HPs, front strut tower brace, KVR drilled rotors w/ carbon fiber pads, Falken tires, Impostor lightweight wheels, Kenwood & MTX sound.

straights are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”