Fuel stabilizer?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Ruben MX-3

Fuel stabilizer?

Post by Ruben MX-3 »

I need some opinions..
I stored my car in November last year with a little more then a half tank of ultra 94.. Would you suggest adding a fuel stabilizer or do you think it would damage my motor? perhaps I'm just better off draining the fuel and refuelling?
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

not sure al i know is u should park it with a full tank of fresh gas and fuel stabilizer in it
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
Ruben MX-3

Post by Ruben MX-3 »

hmmm.. so mixing it now would screw up my motor im assuming?
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Adding a stablizer now is a little late. I would drain it all out, replace the fuel filter and be sure I bleed out the old gas at the fuel rail to allow the new fuel to get to the injectors before trying to start the car.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
neumann

Fuel Stabilizer

Post by neumann »

Adding the fuel stabilizer now would probably do nothing. Always store with a fuel stabilizer and a full tank (reduces condensation adding water to your tank).

At this point if there is only a half tank of gas you might want to try draining it and use it in some olfd lawnmower or something. Don't just dump it.

I would then change the fuel filter if you can (my recollection was that it was fairly accessible on my K8) and run a tank of gas like the Sunoco (doesn't have to be the 94) that has some ethanol content which should help remove water. Normally I avoid ethanol gas but it is good for this.

After that I would try to run a fuel system cleaner. Chevron Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner is one of the only over the counter ones that really does much, and I have never seen it in Eastern Canada.

I use a product called FuelPower FP60 from a compny in Texas, lubecontrol.com both as a stabilizer and as a regular additive. You have to order it from them.

I added it to a full tank of gas in my Porsche on November 5 and stored it until I brought her out yesterday. Ran like a charm.
My Summer car is a Porsche.
My Winter car is a 1994 Mazda MX-3 GS. 1.8L V6, K&N intake, Pacesetter Short Shift, Corksports SS Clutch line, Suspension Techniques lowered, Toyo Garit HTs for Winter Grip.
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

when you start it up just let it get warmed up for like 15 20 min's and next time you fill gas put some engine cleaner and fuel stabiizer in and you should be fine.
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
Ruben MX-3

Post by Ruben MX-3 »

Sounds good.. I think I'll play it safe, empty out the fuel and change the filter..

Thanks,
Ruben.
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

you dont need to worry about that dont wast it. My car was in my shop for 5 months. miata was in there for 6 started up fine let it warm up and put the stabilizer in it your fine. The engine and fuel cleaner will get the bad stuff out.
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

Ruben MX-3

Post by Ruben MX-3 »

Alrite then.. engine & fuel cleaner it is. :)
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

Make sure you can add them togeather I beleave its STS that I use. They make like fuel injecter cleaner fuel system clean octane boost and engine cleaner. You can get them all and they are safe to add togeather. When you fill your take fill it 5 gl. then put the system cleaner stuff in the fill the tank. You do this so it can evenly mix around. This will clean the engine better.
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

Caymen

Post by Caymen »

We have an RV and sometimes it will sit for 9 months. We never add fuel stabilizer and have never had any fuel problems.

Tom

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”