turbo for 1.6L DOHC

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
WingleBeast

turbo for 1.6L DOHC

Post by WingleBeast »

hey guys i was doing some reaserch, and i figured that if i just buy a miata type turbocharger kit, i should be able to use the manifold and the turbo. but i am wondering if i will have enough room in the engine compartment to do all the piping, also where can i get custom pipes done?

basically if anyone has turbocharged a B6 engine in a MX-3 could i get a pic?
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

You can NOT use the miata manifold!!!! It will be upsidedown and the turbo will hit the hood..also the downpipe will be going up!! What you need is the 323 gtx manifold and a vj11-vj14 turbo form a probe/mx-6!!
Cy

Post by Cy »

Joey's mx wrote:You can NOT use the miata manifold!!!! It will be upsidedown and the turbo will hit the hood..also the downpipe will be going up!! What you need is the 323 gtx manifold and a vj11-vj14 turbo form a probe/mx-6!!
if he has the money he would do what i plan todo if i have to keep my 1.6..

buy the miata manifold in mild unpainted steel and have it cut and flipped at a tig welding muffler shop (or machine shop)... they usually run 500CDN+tax..like on http://www.ETDRacing.com..

that's gota t3/4 output and but you'll have to make a downpipe... (which shouldn't be a huge problem)
exdream_mx3

Post by exdream_mx3 »

got both for sale already in a thread. Let me know.

http://mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=49695
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

cutting the miata manifold sounds better to me, cause that way i cna get a stainless steel one, the 323 dosent seem to have any new manifolds aorund.
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

you will also have to cut the turbo flange and have it re-angled because the turbo will hit or be really close to the rad!!! So basically it would be easier to just make a custom manifold!!
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

WingleBeast wrote:cutting the miata manifold sounds better to me, cause that way i cna get a stainless steel one, the 323 dosent seem to have any new manifolds aorund.
Dont bother. not worth the hassle...
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Cy

Post by Cy »

cjthor wrote:
WingleBeast wrote:cutting the miata manifold sounds better to me, cause that way i cna get a stainless steel one, the 323 dosent seem to have any new manifolds aorund.
what hassle... it's maybe 2 hours labor @ a machine/welding shop...

you run a bandsaw blade along the flange then dremel the welds down to the original thickness of the pipe.. (before you take it to the machine shop...)

then @ the shop with your mx.. or @ your house .. measure the angle required to get the turbo to fit allow for clearances from engine movement(and definetly fill your motor-mounts with polyurathane, engine shock would be good too..)

Then the machinist/you has to cut the proper angle out of the pipe that's left over(which will require another measurement on clearances & angle) then Tig it...

i'm cheap and i have a mig so i'ma do it myself...(i welded and exhaust up for a guy and at the MVI the tech noted that if he hadn't inspected the car before he'd never known it was a home-made exhaust)
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Cy wrote:
cjthor wrote:
what hassle... it's maybe 2 hours labor @ a machine/welding shop...

you run a bandsaw blade along the flange then dremel the welds down to the original thickness of the pipe.. (before you take it to the machine shop...)

then @ the shop with your mx.. or @ your house .. measure the angle required to get the turbo to fit allow for clearances from engine movement(and definetly fill your motor-mounts with polyurathane, engine shock would be good too..)

Then the machinist/you has to cut the proper angle out of the pipe that's left over(which will require another measurement on clearances & angle) then Tig it...

i'm cheap and i have a mig so i'ma do it myself...(i welded and exhaust up for a guy and at the MVI the tech noted that if he hadn't inspected the car before he'd never known it was a home-made exhaust)
A shop will prolly charge you 200 bucks or so to do. Id just call etdracing.com and see if they can custom make you the right header the first time. I called them in the past and I think they said 400USD for a 1.6 manifold.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

well my main issue is i want a nice stainless steel manifold that will never crack or break. im i better off sticking with a 323 manifold, or getting a t3/t4 custom made?

or any other soultions?
facko

Post by facko »

well if you dont want somethin that will crack dont get a 323 one, all the ones i found when i was lookin for one had the same crack down the middle that they are notorious for. its not a big deal, but a crack none the less
BP swap -- Pacesetter Header -- Custom CAI -- Custom 2.5 Exhaust w/ a Thrush Glasspack and 40 Series Flowmaster -- SPEC Stage 2 Clutch Kit
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

YEP, 323 mani's crack like mother fos. the only way to help prevent them from cracking is to mount the downpipe to the block like it is stock and add a flex pipe rite after the downpipe before your Cat. a custom mani would be way better. mine cracked several times and i had it welded twice. just doesent cut it. custom mani all the way
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Josh wrote:YEP, 323 mani's crack like mother fos. the only way to help prevent them from cracking is to mount the downpipe to the block like it is stock and add a flex pipe rite after the downpipe before your Cat. a custom mani would be way better. mine cracked several times and i had it welded twice. just doesent cut it. custom mani all the way
Custom baby!!!
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

cjthor... talk to me

thats sweet, who made that for you. i would definately be interested in that type of work.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

WingleBeast wrote:cjthor... talk to me

thats sweet, who made that for you. i would definately be interested in that type of work.
A member of the board made it. JWMotorsports....Jeremy Miller.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)

Return to “Forced Induction”