1992 1.6 lack of power

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
92mazdaman

1992 1.6 lack of power

Post by 92mazdaman »

my sohc has 14000 miles and i have about 50 hp from the stock 88hp its compression is way off if you floor it once it hit 5000 rpms its like you hit a rev limiter. is it expensive to have it rebuilt ? and if i do a swap is there an engine that i dont have to change motor mounts tranmisson ? cant i just plug and play i dont mind changing ecu but i dint wanna throw like3000 at a 500 dollar car know what i mean ??? any advise would be appreciated
im yergie
azazel95

Re: 1992 1.6 lack of power

Post by azazel95 »

is it expensive to have it rebuilt ?
Well it ain't cheap...
and if i do a swap is there an engine that i dont have to change motor mounts tranmisson ? cant i just plug and play i dont mind changing ecu but i dint wanna throw like3000 at a 500 dollar car know what i mean ???
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=24
or
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/search.php
TREVO123

Post by TREVO123 »

I belive just the Stock BP not turboed is almost a plug and play, Yes its a direct bolt up,u can use the same tranny,just upgrade the clutch if you do.
TREVO-Under major construction, Bp coming soon! TO a mx3 near you
1993 MX-3 RS,FULL BLITZ KIT(PROTOTYPE)17"10 SPOKE RIMS,SOHC 1.6L.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2189811
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

U can use a n/a BP from a protege lx u'll need the ecu and wiring harness plug & play. u can use ur tranny bolts right up make sure u bolt ur flywheel and clutch to the bp and bolt the trans to ur bp. there not much diffoculty to do easy swap done it many times to my mx-3 and other mx-3 too. ur stock clutch will hold up as long as u don't go beating up ur mx-3 up. AM still using the bp with the f-series tanny going on a year no problems with the tans, holding up so far..
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
92mazdaman

how hoard is it

Post by 92mazdaman »

you say wiring harness and ecu do i have to re wire the whole car ? how hard is it if i have too?
im yergie
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

dude its not ahrd if your mechanically inclined meaning you learn as you go cause I have done honda swaps with some buddies. I am actually thinking of doing an early 90s protege BP dual over head cam swap from going to the junkyard. This way I have the motor I want. Than I can save up for GTR stuff turbo, manifold, internals, the works. It's a pretty smart move. Plus I am digging the turbo intake mani from the BP turbo. ^.^
Limegreen mx-3

Re: how hoard is it

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

92mazdaman wrote:you say wiring harness and ecu do i have to re wire the whole car ? how hard is it if i have too?
Plug ang play means unplug old wiring harness and ecu and plug in new harness and ecu and play. nothing mention about rewiring.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
92mazdaman

i didnt know

Post by 92mazdaman »

usually thats why people post questions how do i know that the bp wiring in car is the same as my sohc usually when you swap ecus you have to rewire the car!!! i appreciate the feedback!!!!! now can the bp be from any protege or does it have to be certain years??? once again i appreciate all help :lol:
im yergie
Limegreen mx-3

Re: i didnt know

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

92mazdaman wrote:usually thats why people post questions
True, but frequently asked questions like yours can be found using the SEARCH feature. There are topics that have been discussed in depth and many times that can be found by searching. Most others wont be so nice in pointing this out.
92mazdaman wrote:how do i know that the bp wiring in car is the same as my sohc
You won't know until you see for yourself or get an answer from someone who has a reputable status for not being wrong. But you have to start somewhere.
92mazdaman wrote:usually when you swap ecus you have to rewire the car!!!
That depends on quite a few factors. But in your case, you just happened to have it easy. Luckily Mazda made several ecu's that are interchangeable that do not require and wire splicing of any sort. And if anybody has every done a BP swap and had to cut wires here and there using the factory SOHC wiring harness, they are wasting time and effort as the only difference is the extra wires to incorporate the VCIS. If your going to have the engine out, then removing the SOHC wring harness through the firewall wil be very easy. Not to mention that when you put the BP harness in all you'll have to do is run it through the firewall and connect everything back up. Hence Plug and Play. Nothing will be missing and everything will go together like bread and butter. No offense, but if you can plug in an appliance to an outlet, then you can definaltey plug in a factory Mazda ECU to a factory Mazda harness.

Hope this helps out. :D
92mazdaman

thanks

Post by 92mazdaman »

i appreciate the help!!!!!!!! have you ever done a swap yourself? and does anyone know a cheap place to get a bp? i found oone in a locall salvage yard with 70000 miles for $250 but i was kinda hoping for like40000 or 50000 miles thanks again
im yergie
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Yes i have, many times i work as a mechainic at a mazda shop better known as RM(speedfreaks) and 250 is a cheap price i paid 450 for 80,000 miles on my BP powered MX-3.
92mazdaman

need a year

Post by 92mazdaman »

i wanna do the protege bp sway what years will work for me i found an engine with 45000miles for 500 thats been tested and inspectes please help
im yergie

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”