burning mad oil

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
neverender

burning mad oil

Post by neverender »

Heres the situation. I have limited knowledge of mehcanics, and my car is burning oil. I've determined through the wonders of the search feature that my valves are shot. Now heres comes the part that i dont understand. I need to get to my valves, and im not sure how to take the head off. Thats the one step i was unable to reveal in the search. Just incase: i have limited knowledge, not no knowlegde, and am willing and able to competently do this. thanks.
95 MX-3 RS 12"TypeR, RockfordP4002bridged so far.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

If it is burning mad amounts of oil it may be your piston rings not your valves, maybe even a combination of both, take it from someone who has had all but crappy K series motors :(
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

If you car is buring oil it is because of one of two things. Either bad valve seals, or bad piston rings. Neither of which are an easy nor cheap fix. If your car runs good but burns oil is it most likely your valve seals. This is a very common problem with the K8. If this is the case i would just bit the bullet and always keep an eye on your oil level. My mx-3 has the same problem. I burn about a half a quart a week. But if you burn mad oil as you said in your post you might want to take some drastic measures and try and fix it, and in the process learn a hell of a lot about the car you love. To answer your question about removing the heads. Read the online manual section B-2 engine K8 dohc. It will give you detailed steps on removing your timing belt, intake manifold, valve covers, cam caps, cams and finally your head bolts. I hope this helps.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

If your Mx is a v6 and its got High mileage thats normalfor it to burn massive amounts of oil. My k8 burns like 2 liters a week. I can't wait to put my klze in
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”