CAI from Exhaust Pipe

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Bochek

CAI from Exhaust Pipe

Post by Bochek »

I want to make a CAI CHEEP but i dont want it to be pvc, ugh RICE.

I was thinking 3" exhaust pipe. Welded.

I can buy the Pieces Prebent and stuff like that and make a system.

The welding / Fabercating part isn't a problem, been doing it all my life.

Just wondering all of your opinions

AND what do i need to connect it to the MAF sensor and what would be a good filter?

Bochek
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

oh and of course i would paint or pollish it.

Bochek
azazel95

Post by azazel95 »

If you can weld and all then go for it. Just make sure to measure everything and get all the right connector things (sorry can't think of what they're called).
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

bends.

bends is the word your looking for.

Also, does anyone have any pics of where the cai ends, like where do you locate the air filter?

Bochek
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

Bochek wrote:bends.

bends is the word your looking for.

Also, does anyone have any pics of where the cai ends, like where do you locate the air filter?

Bochek
no, i think he meant couplers, you wont be welding it to your maf :?

that would be a bit heavy, why not just get the pre bent aluminum pieces.... aluminum is alot nicer cai material then steel exhaust pipe IMO
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

where can i get these aluminum pieces cheep?

and how do i join them?

Bochek
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

http://www.teamdelsol.com/technical/how ... efault.asp

That has to be one of the better write ups on doing a home brew style CAI. You just have to alter it a bit for the applicatoin :)
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

oh god, im worried, its on a honduh website :roll:

Bochek
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

Sounds alright to me...., you'd probably be better off using a metal that doesn't heat up like aluminium does...., people have disagreed with this theory before :shrug:

Me, i've just got a K&N panel filter in the stock intake, found it to work better than any CAI i tried (on the V6 of course)
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
azazel95

Post by azazel95 »

I know the local Advance Auto here sells prefab aluminum pipes...maybe check there or Napa. Or just call a shop and buy from them. And yes couplers was the word I was looking for.
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Aston Wards wrote:Sounds alright to me...., you'd probably be better off using a metal that doesn't heat up like aluminium does...., people have disagreed with this theory before :shrug:

Me, i've just got a K&N panel filter in the stock intake, found it to work better than any CAI i tried (on the V6 of course)
Aluminum trasnmists heat rather well, I always presumed people used it because it was light even though it conducts heat very well.

If anything put some form of thermal wrap aroung it, even then its still likely to weigh less than one made from steel.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

Yup, that's what i was meaning, aluminium heats up

Grab yourself some silicone couplers, and a cone filter (last i heard, Apexi was the best), and you're good to go! :driver:
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

if your still wondering where to locate your air filter, i located mine underneath the antifreeze resevoir tank. there is a small air box and some plastic pieces that direct air up around the air filter box and up toward the battery that you need to take out. it has a small funnel that stick down underneath the car to gather more air ( i guess, it's not very big). you can keep that in place if you want or if your worried about water getting to it. i took that piece out and haven't had any problems with water, so it's your call. also you may have an a/c line in the way (i don't know what year yours is or if that even matter). you can cut the lines if you want, i just bent mine out of the way by hand, but again thats your call. i then cut a little piece to slide over top the filter to keep the air in that general area longer instead of it just blowing by the filter and into the engine bay. if you want i can send pics.
Juggalomastaxx

Post by Juggalomastaxx »

well....guess and check always works. lol
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

torpedan wrote:
Aston Wards wrote:Sounds alright to me...., you'd probably be better off using a metal that doesn't heat up like aluminium does...., people have disagreed with this theory before :shrug:

Aluminum trasnmists heat rather well, I always presumed people used it because it was light even though it conducts heat very well.

If anything put some form of thermal wrap aroung it, even then its still likely to weigh less than one made from steel.
Aluminum DOES conduct heat well, but only if the heat source is touching it, it is one of the best reflectors of heat out there.

As long as the heat source isnt touching it, then it would be the metal of choice.

But i dont have the budget for aluminum exct so yea.

Bochek

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”