Jack Stands VS Wood Blocks

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
breenmachine

Jack Stands VS Wood Blocks

Post by breenmachine »

I had no idea where to put this but I was wondering is it a big deal to use wood blocks instead of jackstands. Everyone around here I asked said they just use wood blocks and I cant find proper jackstands anywhere.

Also if I'm using a floor jack, what are the jacking points on the MX3 I looked in the manual but it just showed those 4 corners where you would put the little emergency jack, or a jackstand not a real jack.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

make sure not to use rotten wood. I also use cinder blocks, work just fine
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

jack stands are cheep, like 20 bucks canadian for a pair of 2 tonne ones.

go get some. it will save you and your car.

Not that wood blocks wont hold up the car. but it can bend over the pinch welds.

the 2 points to jack are at the front of the X member just to the drivers side of center in the very front, the peice of metal sorta like bubles down a little?

and in the back jack the whole rear up by the subframe. right in the center of the vehicle, right by where the sway bar runs.

Bochek
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

Ya go to walmart they are cheap.
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
twoie

Post by twoie »

I used both. Put it up on jack stands and then put 6x6 chunks stacked up. This way when I pulled my engine and was lying under the car I was sure I wouldn't be smashed like a bug!

twoie
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

mmm pancakes... =)
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
Cy

Post by Cy »

If your planning on keeping the car jacked up for any prolonged length of time.. and plan on working in,on and around the car.....

IT IS STUPID not to use jackstands.. and 4 jackstands at that...

If you're not planning on removing the front control arms then the control arm bushing mounts are the best, widest and still out of the way places to put the jackstands...

In the rear if your jacksand yokes are U or Y shaped with tabbs on either side then the "Performance rods" that are going front-to-back on the car have a plate over them that is the actual jack point for changing a flat... All you have todo is put your jack under the rear crossmember and jack up the entire rear end..then place your stands..

ALWAYS LEAVE THE JACK A LITTLE LOOSE UNDER THE POINT YOU JACKED IT FROM THEN BUMP, PUSH THE CAR AROUND TO MAKE SURE THAT IT'S STABLE....

An uncle of mine was crushed to death when his late-60's camaro fell off it's jackstands...

Take heed...
neumann

Jacks

Post by neumann »

I bought a set of 2 ton jack stands and a 2 ton jack for $37 CDN at Walmart. I see similar deals at CDN tire all the time. usually about $20 for just a pair of stands.

I always use the jack as a safety just in case one of the jack stands fails. I will usually move it off to the side in a less than ideal place, but still better than nothing.
My Summer car is a Porsche.
My Winter car is a 1994 Mazda MX-3 GS. 1.8L V6, K&N intake, Pacesetter Short Shift, Corksports SS Clutch line, Suspension Techniques lowered, Toyo Garit HTs for Winter Grip.
kmvmx3

Post by kmvmx3 »

Use your wood with a pair of jack please. I've seen two cases where a person got kill because of carelessness and when cheap. I have 3 set of jacks and usually uses both pair when I have to be under for something major or banging in there. Be safe so you can live to drive another day.....
93 Purple X3 GS SE ... More Mod to come...
Caymen

Post by Caymen »

Like others, I use Jackstand but I also put my jack under it as a secondary safety method.

Tom

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”