Lame problem, need help!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Thassodar

Lame problem, need help!

Post by Thassodar »

Ok you know the spare key that came with the car thats only supposed to be used in emergencies? Well I used it and it BROKE OFF INSIDE THE IGNITION.

I haven't tried to get tweezers to pull it out yet, but I was hoping someone would have suggestion. I was thinking perhaps getting a vaccum with high suction and holding it up to the ignition hole and hoping that would get it, but I don't want to screw something up.

This is really lame. I NEVER expected this to happen. If anyone would help me out, that'd be great.

*EDIT*

It was the plastic key that could be used in emergencies, FYI. Those tools suggested by neutral MAY work though. Thanks for taking the time to look.
Last edited by Thassodar on April 1st, 2006, 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hey-yo chicken on a raft.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

The vac idea might work and shouldn't hurt to try it. I've used this tool from Napa Auto parts with some success in removing the broken key tip enough to get a pair of tweezers or hemostats on it to fully extract.

Probably available at most autoparts stores. Here's the Napa link for more info. http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/N ... +Pick+Tool

Gotta be careful not to damage the lock. btw, If you have triple AAA svc. coverage, I think that type of svc. call is free or just a nominal fee.
Image -Jim
breenmachine

Post by breenmachine »

Use a strong magnet maybe?
Boris

Post by Boris »

it's a plastic key, a magnet wouldn't work. Seems like tweezers would be the best bet... or you could just put your mouth on the ignition and suck reeeal hard :lol:
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

If i'm not mistaken, those keys can only unlock the doors, they can't turn the car on. And it should say that on the key.
Juggalomastaxx

Post by Juggalomastaxx »

suck it out...haha that's funny. get like a plastic spoon and break it off and put like a little amount of super glue (not oozing off) and let it sit for a min and bam there you go. worked for me.
alex3ohio

Post by alex3ohio »

a magnet?????????? Whoever put that is rediculous. Needle nose pliers. Specialty ones for computers are SUPER thin
kyla92

Post by kyla92 »

just use small tweezers that would be ur best bet i would think. superglue prob not the best for that especially if u like ur paint. mx3 keys are so easy to break ive gone through 4 allready from frozen locks. i dont have one of those plastic ones i would prob disregard that idea
Danny

Post by Danny »

Yeah, I've almost broken my keys in my ignition before(gone through like 3 of em in 5 months)...my metal ones. They break so easily. Luckily I just shaved my doors, so thats one less thing that can break the key T_T

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”