92 MX-3 not running Updated with good news

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Bucking Bronco

92 MX-3 not running Updated with good news

Post by Bucking Bronco »

Hello everyone :D

I just bought my first MX-3 for $200. not running :( but I knew what it was and jumped on it :twisted:

So its a 92 V6 5spd all stock as far as I can tell. It's been sitting since Jan 1 05 I think with a 1/4 tank maybe. Talking to the owner he told me that 2 days before it came off the road it started to tick and 2 days later it wouldn't even start. I would like to verify the problem without pulling the motor if at all possible.

I'v drained the tank and have 1/4 tank of good gas and tested for

1. Spark - yes
2. Fuel - yes - verified by pulling all 3 front plugs and can hear pump
3. Dist - Rotor is spinning
4. Intake boot - ok

Can't pull codes because it was stored without the battery.

So what's next? I'm still searching threw this site
:shock: there tons of info but I'm kind of lost - brain overload -

I do all my own work and am willing to learn :D I want this car on the road so be warned your not waisting your time :D

Thanks for the help

Derek
Last edited by Bucking Bronco on April 9th, 2006, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Addicted to the Speed
92 MX-3 GS K8 - CAI
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

first off.. Welcome to the board and congrats on a sweet deal :)

Now to the problem at hand.. you dont mention how many miles are on the car.. but if you have fuel and if you have spark.. then its likely going to be timing.. possible that your timing belt has stretched and jumped time. You can put the car in diagnostic mode by jumping pins TEN and GND on your diagnostic box located near the master cylinder close to the firewall on the drivers side. A paperclip will work just fine.. then hook up a timing light and verify that your ignition on #1 cylinder is firing at 10 degrees BTC.

That should get you started.. if your timing is good.. we start looking at other possibilities.. but this is a good place to start. Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Bucking Bronco

Post by Bucking Bronco »

Out of all the tools I own I dont have a timing light :roll: and I dont have the money for one :( I'll look in to borrowing one. Is there anything else maybe if I can adjust the distributor while cranking? 248042 km's

I pulled the air filter box and hoses and noticed the throttle body and intake are covered in oil. I cleaned out what I could reach, but dont know what caused this? I asked the owner if it sounded like rod knock he said yes but who know what he knows about motors. I am going to do a compression test Saturday if possible. Is it possible to use a push on compression tester?

Thanks Tunes I'v read alot of your posts

I'll post some pics up tonight but I'm dial up so It'll be a while :lol:
Addicted to the Speed
92 MX-3 GS K8 - CAI
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

A compression test is a excellent idea as well. If you have oil in the intake and TB... Thats usually a fair indicator that the engine is fairly worn. As for the Compression tester.. most of the push on type testers I have seen wont work due to the depth of the spark plug wells on our V6's. You might be able to find one.. but a screw in type will work best and give you the most accurate results. They are cheap too.. a friend just bought one for $13 at his local auto parts store. Post back and let us know what you find out this weekend.. and if you find that the engine is toast.. dont despair... it might end up being more work.. but you can likely source a replacement engine easily for under $400.. under $1000 could get you a KLZE (though there are additional parts you would need besides the engine to get this running well)

Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Bucking Bronco

Post by Bucking Bronco »

I'll see what I can do this weekend & hope I can get it to fire up :D

I'v been reading in to the engine swap stuff and would be all over it if I didn't have other projects like 302 in my Bronco II.

A friend has/had an MX-3 he never let me drive it but he showed me what it capable of :twisted: we lost contact now I live 900km away :( I will be trying to find him here :lol:

Thanks again Tunes I look forward to hearing from you and the rest of the wise ones I'v been reading up on.

Derek
Addicted to the Speed
92 MX-3 GS K8 - CAI
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

The TB oil is common and can be taken care of by putting a gas filter in the PCV line.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Bucking Bronco

Pictures

Post by Bucking Bronco »

Pictures

How much if any of the online shop manual might help with my ride?
I'll take a look in to that fowljesse

Thanks
Addicted to the Speed
92 MX-3 GS K8 - CAI
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

car is in rough shape but good luck with the repairs.
!vetc-this!

Post by !vetc-this! »

good luck my friend.
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

bah...just makes it more fun 8)
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE
Bucking Bronco

Walk in the park

Post by Bucking Bronco »

This isnt bad at all by my standards. Most of the interior is there in the back seat, PO had a Stereo and subs and was a little lazy when it came time to remove it :roll:

About 7 years ago I bought a 79 Rabbit GTi shell with rolling suspension and thats it, no windows, wiring, motor, doors & fenders completely stripped :lol:
1 year later & alot of work I had a sweet GTi with a high comp motor and close ratio tranny, lowered, poly bushings and some other goodies :D I could go on but this isnt a VW site :lol:

Time to get back to work on the car

Derek
Addicted to the Speed
92 MX-3 GS K8 - CAI
Bucking Bronco

A little update

Post by Bucking Bronco »

I pulled it apart to do the timing belt & went to find all the marks. Guess what ? Nothing lines up I rotated it like 6 time just to be sure :lol: I'm so happy
and the knocking had to be the tensioner.

So once I pickup the rest of the parts I'll try and fire it up 8)

Also after hours of searching, I found a link with all the timing picture. I think this should go with the faq :D http://home.comcast.net/~mmunoz70/z/leskatimingbelt.doc

Thanks for reading and will update when I know more
Addicted to the Speed
92 MX-3 GS K8 - CAI
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

Eh..crappy so basically the timing is off..do these motors have interference heads ? meaning : if the timing belt slips, breaks or whtever, the pistons will smack the valves ?

I was thinking of changing my timing belt and tensioner once I hit 70,000 miles and i called the dealer, stupid tensioner is like 200 dollars..so look to spend a bit of money and good luck on the restore :)
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

they are NON interference heads, lucky us : )

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
Bucking Bronco

Yes lucky us

Post by Bucking Bronco »

Well with nothing to do but wait for call backs on parts costs I threw in the tensioner and retimed it. I figured the worst thing that could happen is that the timing jumps again.... It started without hesitation, without smoke, without me even having a chance to let go of the key :twisted: It was like my first virgin :lol: Thank you Mazda

On the parts note I called Lordco for the timing kit they wanted $410. cad
for the tensioner and 2 idlers I dont even know if it included the timing belt :shock: I asked about the probe stuff same price :roll: So monday I'll call Bowwow and see what they can do.

Thanks for the help Everyone

Should I start a work log so I dont bore you all? I dont know if I should post this here :?:
Addicted to the Speed
92 MX-3 GS K8 - CAI

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”