Car alarms off of eBay

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
im2bad4ya

Car alarms off of eBay

Post by im2bad4ya »

So I want to invest a good amount of money towards the alarm, (after I get the rest of my car fixed). I'm not really up to date on alarms. So what is the difference between, lets say, a Viper alarm, and this Option Group alarm from Racing House? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CAR-ALAR ... 8050031894

What am I paying for with the Viper as opposed to the above mentioned alarm?
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Um.. the difference is one is $38 and Vipers are like $380.

With a Viper you will have control over your car within 1000ft (line of sight) as opposed to 100ft. Viper has code hopping, to make stealing your key fob signal harder. The viper also has 30-40 different options you can change, so it probly has more options than the generic one.
im2bad4ya

Post by im2bad4ya »

ok, so far 21 views for this post, yet only one reply. Is there no more insight? if mr1in6billion is basically telling me that I'm paying $340 extra just to get 900ft more range on the alarm, then HELL YEAH I'll pay $40 for an alarm. But don't get me wrong, I can also understand about Viper having the 'code hopping' but it's not like I'm driving 2006 Audi A4 or some other nice car, where such a system would almost be a must. Around where I live, people steal cars primarily to chop/gut them for parts. I just can't see someone stealing my MX-3, I've only seen maybe the same 2 MX-3's within a 10 mile radius of where I live. Now if I were investing, in lets say a Civic or Integra, then I can see the justification of getting a Viper or Clifford alarm, seeing as every other car parked on the street is either a Civic or an Integra, and they get stolen quite often.

Any more thoughts on these alarms??
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

If you just want a simple alarm to lock/unlock the doors and make noise when bumped, the cheap one probly would work. If you want remote start then go for the viper. It's the small things (such as rev protection and tach sensing) and the million other options that add up in price.

As a side note, there is nothing better than getting out of class at night walking through the freezing cold to my already nice toasty car. The 1000 ft range and remote start make it possible. I don't know if that applies for you, but it's something to consider.
im2bad4ya

Post by im2bad4ya »

:oops: AARRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......ONE STEP FOWARD AND TWO STEPS BACK!!!!!.......so this morning, I lend my car to my friend, long story short, the right wheel (passenger side) came off I can't explain it, I think it came off the spindle...I'll probably post about this and how to get it fixed in the appropriate forum. now I have to get THAT repaired, plus I need a new hood and bumper from a PREVIOUS accident!!

So you're right mr1in6billion, I just basically want something to lock and unlock my doors and make noise when it opens and the alarm is still engaged. And also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the remote start only works on Auto Trans cars. I have a 5-spd. Regardless, I think I made my decision.....
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

alarms effectiveness = quality of unit (20%) + pro install (80%)
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

First off, I hope you'll get your car fixed soon. As far as alarms are concerned, if you plan on down the road, adding rims, a kit, Mazda after markert parts for appearance..... or, any other thing in regards to hooking up your car..... I highly recommend that you go with a good alarm system.... Alpine, Viper, Cliffford, etc. Our cars are a rarity on the road as it is..... so, just imagine how much attention will be drawn to it if down the road, you start hooking your ride up. Serious piece of advice.
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared
Pumas_kitten

Post by Pumas_kitten »

I'd say go for a more expensive alarm system do to the fact the cheaper ones have more of a chance of malfunctioning.
My boyfriend bought me a compu star alarm system and I never have problems with it. I would highly recommend it. It did cost a bit less then 500 bux though.
Also, you can get remote start for manul transmission cars.
dtfbrad

Post by dtfbrad »

I got mine on ebay and have never had a problem with it
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Code hopping is a BS gimmick that the alarm people got worked up over 10 years ago. Have you ever heard of anyone having their car stolen with a code stealing machine? No. Because most car thieves are methheads, not computer engineers.

But you do at least want a QUALITY system that's going to at least give you 5 yeas of trouble free service. Find a brand name and start there. Prestige, Avital, and Crimestopper are the cheapest I'd go personally.
freakyalien

Post by freakyalien »

lakersfan1 wrote:Code hopping is a BS gimmick that the alarm people got worked up over 10 years ago. Have you ever heard of anyone having their car stolen with a code stealing machine? No. Because most car thieves are methheads, not computer engineers.

But you do at least want a QUALITY system that's going to at least give you 5 yeas of trouble free service. Find a brand name and start there. Prestige, Avital, and Crimestopper are the cheapest I'd go personally.
They did on Gone in 60 Seconds :D

I have a real cheap alarm on mine...doesn't unlock the doors or anything, just makes noise when they are opened. I don't like it much...the remote doesn't work from very far away, and the buttons on the remote aren't all that great. I'd say...if you have the cash, get the better one...but the cheap one will probably serve the purpose.

By the way...how do you get a remote start on manual cars?
Vroooom
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

you get what you pay for when i comes to alarms thing to look for

range

ajustable shock sensor

upgradeabltiy

type of remote eg two way paging

viper alarms ar owned by directed electronics which also owns clifford alarms both come with a lifetime warrenty on the brain of the alarm which is a good thing consirding all the electrical problem we all have with our cars !!

the $38 one will work but i can't say how well the shock sensor is

remote start on manual car is a pain in the a-- to install and i can't stand doing them but its all set up as a sequence

stop car
place car in netural
engage parking brake
press remote start button on remote
car will flash lights/or honk
open door
remove key
close door
car engine will shut down
lights will flash to comfirm

if for any reason a door or hatch is opened starter brain will reset and have to be run through sequence again
if for some reason you leave your windows downs and someone reaches in and places your car in gear the starter brain is to stupid to realize and when you go to remote start kiss your transmission and starter good bye the car will keep on trying to start the car even while its stalling out and ever so happily moving foward or in reverse depens on what gear they put it in

Reaper
Greg
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”