Are you the original owner of your MX-3 that you still own?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions

Do you still own your MX-3, that you bought brand new?

I bought my MX-3 brand new, and still own it.
9%
I bought my original MX-3 brand new, but am now on a second/third, etc.
1%
I bought my MX-3 brand new, but no longer own an MX-3.
No votes
I bought my MX-3 second hand.
91%

Total votes: 162

MX-3.com
Site Administrator
antispam: No

Are you the original owner of your MX-3 that you still own?

Post by MX-3.com »

Are you the original owner of your MX-3, or did you buy second hand.
(Original owner means that you bought the MX-3 brand new from a certified Mazda dealer, and it was not previously owned by anyone else.)

Personally, I bought my MX-3 brand new back in August 1994, and have loved driving it ever since. I hope to drive it for many years to come.

It is approaching 200,000km's, and I should hit that mark sometime in April or May.
Last edited by MX-3.com on March 24th, 2006, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageJeff Aycan - Site & Forum Owner/Administrator
2003 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro Sedan (Brilliant Black)
2004 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T (Light Silver Metallic)
2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R (Lime Green/Ebony)
SOLD - 1995 MX-3 Precidia RS (Blaze Red)
SOLD - 2000 Honda Civic Si (Vogue Silver Metallic)
SOLD - 2005 Honda CR-V LX AWD (Redondo Red Pearl)

Please Help Support MX-3.com - (Contact me for MX-3.com Decal Purchases)
precidian

Post by precidian »

good Poll question... come April 26th, it will be 12 years since I picked up my car from the dealer. The car was the only green one they had and was the dealer's show room car.
Tom S. - '94 MX-3 GS-X Sparkle Green

I say, Ahmed. What is that thing you do when you're about to assassinate an infidel?
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Mine was not new, but close at 30,000 miles some years ago. I wouldn't buy a new car due to immediate depreciation...
I consider it new in my eyes since that is as new as I will ever buy a car.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

According to carfax, i'm the third owner, bought with 100K km (60K mi).
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I am second owner. I bought it in a private sale from the original owner almost 4 years ago.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

as far as I know, im second owner
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

2nd owner of one, 3rd owner of the other........i was only 6 years old when my cars were made :lol:
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

I'm second owner of mine - bought 4 yrs ago. I always wanted one since they came out in 92 but had to wait til I could afford it, and that turned out to be = to the depreciated value of a 7 yr. old 1995 model. :wink:
Image -Jim
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I'm the 2nd owner. It was traded in to a Ford dealer by an employee. I talked the sales guy down to $280 more than they gave for it. The finance people could not believe it! It has 130,xxx miles, and everything is absolutely perfect except the seatbelt [Knock on wood]. BTW knocking on wood is suposed to scare the mischievious faeries, so they don't play tricks on you.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

PATDIESEL wrote:I wouldn't buy a new car due to immediate depreciation...
Yes but that immediate depreciation balances itself out after a few years.
MX-3.com
Site Administrator
antispam: No

Post by MX-3.com »

mxmaz wrote:
I would tend to agree, good point mxmaz.
ImageJeff Aycan - Site & Forum Owner/Administrator
2003 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro Sedan (Brilliant Black)
2004 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T (Light Silver Metallic)
2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R (Lime Green/Ebony)
SOLD - 1995 MX-3 Precidia RS (Blaze Red)
SOLD - 2000 Honda Civic Si (Vogue Silver Metallic)
SOLD - 2005 Honda CR-V LX AWD (Redondo Red Pearl)

Please Help Support MX-3.com - (Contact me for MX-3.com Decal Purchases)
exdream_mx3

Post by exdream_mx3 »

2nd owner bought my 95 back in 98 with 56k on it.
fieval79
Supporting Member

Post by fieval79 »

I'm on my 3rd mx3......two gs's....and one Rs. Bought my first one, the rs, in Jan of 98 and it was a 94. I was the second owner. It's been the only car I've ever driven that has made me love the road!

Hell, I'm one of the originals on this board :) lol
Balhirath

Post by Balhirath »

MX-3.com wrote:
mxmaz wrote:
And I have to disagree :D

The normal reason that it balances itself out, is that repairs on an old car equals the payments on a new car and in my experience thats simply not the case with the MX3. Apart from the parts that always needs replacements from time to time (Breakes ect), the car is simply too well build to cost that much in additional repairs.

I have also noticed that because it's a relatively rare and goodlooking car, it loose value rather slowly.
If I wanted a car equal to the one i bought 3 years ago, i would have to pay almost the same since they only lost about 10% in those 3 years.

The reason for this is IMO that the MX3 1.8 V6 (I can never remember what you call them over there) was really a well equiped car when it came out. Electric windows/mirrors/sunroof, disc-brakes on all wheels and all the rest, is simply not normally found in 15 year old cars at the same price-level.

So you got car that looks good, drives really good, is well equiped, have a V6 engine that runs like a dream (and is easy to swarp with a 2.5L), got a lot of bodykits and is put together so well, that the reason that people use money on them is not to repair the car, but to make it look better and go faster.

(And in case of the 1.6, it can be swarped or turbo'ed :)

:bump:
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Balhirath wrote:
MX-3.com wrote:
mxmaz wrote: Yes but that immediate depreciation balances itself out after a few years.
And I have to disagree :D
And I'll have to disagree with you. (meaning I agree with mxmaz.) :wink:
The normal reason that it balances itself out, is that repairs on an old car equals the payments on a new car and in my experience thats simply not the case with the MX3.
How so. After a car has reached the 100kmi+ zone you have to start rethinking your suspension, new clutch, new belts, etc. It probly wouldn't work its way up to the total origional price of the car, but you essentially are buying the car over again.
I have also noticed that because it's a relatively rare and goodlooking car, it loose value rather slowly. If I wanted a car equal to the one i bought 3 years ago, i would have to pay almost the same since they only lost about 10% in those 3 years.
Thats because, if i'm not mistaken, the curve is (roughly) an exponential decay, meaning, depreciation over time levels out. I bought my car for $2500. Chances are, in a few years it will still be worth that much.
The reason for this is IMO that the MX3 1.8 V6 (I can never remember what you call them over there) was really a well equiped car when it came out. Electric windows/mirrors/sunroof, disc-brakes on all wheels and all the rest, is simply not normally found in 15 year old cars at the same price-level.
This part of your arguement became invalid when I smote your last paragraph
So you got car that looks good, drives really good, is well equiped, have a V6 engine that runs like a dream (and is easy to swarp with a 2.5L), got a lot of bodykits and is put together so well, that the reason that people use money on them is not to repair the car, but to make it look better and go faster.
Most people buy cars to get them places, not so they can become pimps.

Conclusion:
If you buy a new car there is a high price up front, but if you keep that car for the next 15 years, you wont pay much in repairs.
If you buy it used, small price up front, lot of repairs over those next 10 years.

It's all the same and it's all gravy.
or more likely different strokes for different paychecks.

but we all digress :wink:

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”