shift points please help

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
SBmx3

Post by SBmx3 »

so uh? does that make me and old man for shifting at 2.5?

..i just bought the car like two days ago, and just learned (taught myself)to drive manual on the ride home...

so far everyone who has driven with me is surprised at how smooth the ride is. I just figure its easier for me to learn rev matching with lower RPM

:)
88 WHP~~~ WOOT!
Danny

Post by Danny »

Hi guys, just wanna let yall know I'm a long time listener, first time caller.... :freak:

Ok, well I got a 93 1.6 SOHC and I typically shift at no higher than 3 if I'm just goin somewhere. If I'm in traffic, I'll shift at like 2~2.25, seeing how theres no need to go higher since you can't move fast in bad traffic >.<
If I'm gettin on the highway I usually shift at 3.5~, but one thing that really gets me is why the freak I'm going 60 MPH and sittin at 3K, if I get to speedin, up round 100, it sounds like my engines about to jump out my car and peeter out right there on the side of the road. It just sounds like its runnin the crap out of it, don't see how it can be good on my engine. Anyone else got the same thing going on? That's only bout the 60MPH=3K, cause I think it might just sound like that cause I got a big ol hole in my cat. Sounds like I got a crappy exhaust on my car.

On the same, but not same, note, I really want to replace my whole exhaust system (headers and all the way back), does anyone know a good place to get one at? And if it's possible for me to do it myself?

BTW, when I race, I usually shift at just over 6K, where redline starts, it feels like my car don't miss a beat. Like I'm just about to leave my powerband, then bam, I shift and there it starts again. :werd:
nicksmx3

Post by nicksmx3 »

anyone else in the sohc 4cyls or other engines having a hard time getting to 100mph cuz it take me like an hour just to get from 4 to 4.5rpms and i dont know if i should go past it wich its typically at like 90 mph.
projectmx316

Post by projectmx316 »

i have a 94 1.6 dohc and 60 mph is alittle above 2.5 its probably at 2.7 or 2.8 but have have and auto in it so im not sure if its the same. but at 3k im at 73 mph. also i shift it at 3k in first just to get it going good cause its slow off the line(damn auto). the fastest ive gone in it was 95mph. but no faster cause i dont want to push it hard untill i drop my bp in it. I still need it for now as a daily driver so i need to save this engine.
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

shifting at 4.5 when your racing? you must get smoked shifting short like that. i run my 94 1.6 dohc all the way to redline in 1rst thru 3rd when i'm racing. when i'm cruising i just shift by feel and sound, i really don't set a standard on when to shift. I know none of us here would do such a bad thing as to condone street racing but if your going to do it, give her hell.
Boris

Post by Boris »

When racing, or when I'm just trying to make my slow p.o.s sohc not drive slowly I shift at 6000+ Even then it still feels slow :x
Knightrider

Post by Knightrider »

I think I shift around 4k when I'm just cruisin, but when I need to pass someone or get somewhere quickly I'll shift around 5k - 5.5k
I'll try taking it higher, the more I get used to the car. Right now I just go by sound and feel, but it's a lot different from my B2200 pick-up!!!!LOL

Cheers...........
Steve

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”