Oh I think I'm screwed...

A Forum For Ontario MX-3 Club Related Topics.
ExperimentX

Oh I think I'm screwed...

Post by ExperimentX »

Well, just after dropping my gf off tonight my little beast stalled out on me. Right out of the blue, sitting there idling and then bam, dead.

Two things occurred to me:

#1. I'm screwed.
#2. How badly am I screwed?

My first reaction was: its the distributor... or my spark plugs (best scenario). Then upon further thought another thought occurred... could it be the blasted fuel pump? At this point those are my options, and between the distributor and the fuel pump I think I'm screwed... and screwed badly since I just quit my job at the dealership :( .

The question to any and all who can answer this is..

How much is a distributor (new, used, rebuilt etc.) and the time involved in putting one in.

The second being, how much is a fuel pump and the time involved with that (hell, I'm not even sure if its in the gas tank or not :( ).

Thanks for any answers and maybe an uplifting comment or two!

Cheers!
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

this might b better answered in the V6 tech forum.

i know when mine needed a new disty, i was out in Sarnia area, and with no other options to get home i had to fork out over $300, plus wires, plus plugs, plus labour......friggin bill came to just over $700

if i break down....i wanna b within towing distance of Toronto
so u see....it could b worse
kp2t

Post by kp2t »

my disty went but it gives u signs!!! check for spark!

no spark? check the ignitor, or the coil...

my coil and ignitor were screwed but a good friend help a brother out LOL.... Mike gave me a almost dead disty, but I did a HEI conversion!!!

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread. ... conversion

check that for the HEI Conversion!!!

CIAO
ImageImageImageImageImage
ExperimentX

Post by ExperimentX »

Hrmmm... I really have no clue wtf they're talking about there :/ And I'm going to Vancouver on Tuesday so I have no desire to be messing around with that stuff in the mean time... with my luck I'll stab something in a fuel rail while I have a cigarette burning in my hand... I'll be back next week Monday so I'll think about doing that stuff then :/
Jettblackcat

Post by Jettblackcat »

I'd check for spark first before getting all excited. If no spark, do the HEI conversion. Don't waste your time and money on a rebuilt / used disty. I just did mine, and it's the best money spent so far!
92 MX-3 GS, RED, custom short ram intake, headers (not installed yet), HEI conversion, external coil, Need more $$ for a ZE (donations graciously accepted).
kp2t

Post by kp2t »

thats what I said LOL
ImageImageImageImageImage
ExperimentX

Post by ExperimentX »

New development, was gonna go grab some McDonald's with my brother and decided for shits and giggles to try and start the car, and lo behold, on the second attempt it fired up... so I'm guessing its not the fuel pump, but most likely the plugs and/or the disty which may be on its way out. Any voulunteers to help me with the HEI mod (beer and pizza on me for the project)? I'd rather not tackle something like that by myself, I'm paranoid I'll blow something up.
bushidosword

Post by bushidosword »

Hve you checked your air intake for cracks?
Unmetered air can cause stalling, rough idle hard starts and improper air to fuel mix.

I only mention it because:

1) Its easy to check/fix and...
2) Its a good excuse to do a Cold Air Intake setup!

keep us posted :D

Post by ExperimentX »

Yah, that was actually the first thing I checked cause my friend had a similar problem with his mass air flow sensor causing stall outs on a 240SX.

But this is what I got accomplished today, picked up some OEM replacement spark plugs ( 6 x $3.05 ) a new distributor cap and rotor ($34 for the cap, $6 for the rotor) and dropped the parts off at the shop. Should be done just after 3pm, seeing as I'm really lazy and managed to tenderize a lower back muscle (Tylenol 3's are my best friend right now!)
MX3 GSR for dummies

Post by MX3 GSR for dummies »

ExperimentX wrote:Yah, that was actually the first thing I checked cause my friend had a similar problem with his mass air flow sensor causing stall outs on a 240SX.

But this is what I got accomplished today, picked up some OEM replacement spark plugs ( 6 x $3.05 ) a new distributor cap and rotor ($34 for the cap, $6 for the rotor) and dropped the parts off at the shop. Should be done just after 3pm, seeing as I'm really lazy and managed to tenderize a lower back muscle (Tylenol 3's are my best friend right now!)
Hey whats up, we met at meadovale meet on the 11th, anyways, I hate to say it but you have the exact symptoms of a module failure so don't go driving too far and if you do, have CAA. That module will get warm and then voila, down again. Like Kp2t said "HEI conversion" about a half hour at Canadian trash and a half hour to understand the process and another half hour to hour install. I think you shouold fit a couple hours in on making your car reliable cause I know personally, and I am sure I'm not the only one, how much of a b$%ch it is when the car just suddenly gives out. If you need advise, you can always swimg by meadowvale and I can show you my conversion in person and give my info.
If at first you don't succeed....it never happened

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress
ExperimentX

Post by ExperimentX »

MX3 GSR for dummies wrote:
Hey whats up, we met at meadovale meet on the 11th, anyways, I hate to say it but you have the exact symptoms of a module failure so don't go driving too far and if you do, have CAA. That module will get warm and then voila, down again. Like Kp2t said "HEI conversion" about a half hour at Canadian trash and a half hour to understand the process and another half hour to hour install. I think you shouold fit a couple hours in on making your car reliable cause I know personally, and I am sure I'm not the only one, how much of a b$%ch it is when the car just suddenly gives out. If you need advise, you can always swimg by meadowvale and I can show you my conversion in person and give my info.

Just an update, it did indeed stall out again after the distributor cap/rotors and sparks were changed, and yes, only when it was hot. I most definitely would appreciate any help in doing the HEI mod, as it seems to be my only choice at this point, aside from trying to find distributor. I'm leaving for Vancouver at 11pm tonight, will be back next week Tuesday or Wednesday.

I live only about a two minutes away from Meadowvale Mall, so even doing it in my garage is an option. Like I mentioned in one of my other posts, pizza/beer is on me! :D
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

When it stalls is it at low-idle usually? Maybe there is a vaccum leak in the intake.
ExperimentX

Post by ExperimentX »

Andrew_Pakula wrote:When it stalls is it at low-idle usually? Maybe there is a vaccum leak in the intake.
It usually is at low idle, but then it refuses to start up again for quite some time usually, the first time it happened I couldn't get it started for over 2 hours, then had it towed home, the following night I tried to start it and it did indeed start, then it happened again Monday night, but about 5 minutes later started up again.
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

I don't know if you have done the HEI mod yet or not, but, if you haven't and you are planning to, DO NOT use those cheap quick splicers. Solder the wires together. I used the splicers and it ran pretty well, but, it was a little rough every once in a while at low RPMs. So, I got rid of the splicers and soldered it and it seems to have ridded me of that problem (I guess it was more of an annoyance than a problem knowing that your car isn't running perfectly).
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
ExperimentX

Post by ExperimentX »

Well, the HEI was attempted, until it was found that I have a '95 style disty in there, so after some creative thinking on my and Steve's (MX3GSR for dummies sp?) part we decided I needed a new disty, seeing as the coil was mangled beyond repair, major rust and corrosion around the main metallic pieces. So now, finally I'm going to go get my new distributor. A professional rebuild = cheaper than the wreckers for those who may run into the problem.

Return to “Ontario MX-3 Club”