optima battery question

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
CarMan1

optima battery question

Post by CarMan1 »

i have a 1.6L MT 92 mx-3, the optima site says they dont make a battery for that car... is this right? i really need to buy one for my system...

gunna be a bummer if they dont...
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

I went to a local shop and bought one. Had to make my own battery bracket to hold it in - but it fits a works great

I've heard if you get the smaller optima battery that fits the civic and integra's it would be easier to relocate it to the trunk, or give u more room under the hood
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

I got the $130 red top and used the stock bracket and mine works great to!
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Typhoonk wrote:I've heard if you get the smaller optima battery that fits the civic and integra's it would be easier to relocate it to the trunk, or give u more room under the hood
Yup, at least that's what I did. Installed the Optima Yellowtop D51R in my 95 RS. Works great. Rated for 500 CCA at 0* F and 625 CA at 32* F, which is very close to the specs of my old lead acid batt. BUT the D51R only measures 9.25"L x 5.0"W x 9.0"H & weighs 26 lbs. That's 11 lbs lighter than the old battery for a nice wt. savings + ~40% smaller so the extra space under the hood allowed for straighter routing of the CAI. Will be relocating the batt to the passenger rear footwell this Spring for better wt. distro. Best price I found was $118 USD shipped from ebay seller remy_battery last summer. Don't see the D51R listed by that seller currently - only the D51, which wouldn't have the top post positions reversed, if that's needed for the RS SOHC set-up. My '95 needed the reversed-post position. Hope that helps... g/l
Image -Jim
CarMan1

Post by CarMan1 »

ok ,ill go see if i cant order/find a d51r, thats cool, i need one bad b/c of my system... i know itll make a huge difference...

atleast over my regular battery, thats not made for anything but starting ur car lol...
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

I should add that I'm not running any big sound sys. so I only need basic decent starting power from a battery. Sound is a Mazda factory CD/AM/FM deck and upgraded 6.5 spkrs. My MX also has zero power accessories except for the sunroof & mirrors. If you're running some kind of amped sys. you might need a bigger Optima than the D51R.
Image -Jim

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”