new ast full adjusable suspension

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Macen

Post by Macen »

Any TÜV yet?
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

interesting deal
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

Just a reminder to everyone, I can get the K.A.W. fully adjustable coilovers (height and damping) from Germany as well - pricing on the coilovers is around $2,000 CDN.

K.A.W. also makes strut/spring packages with adjustable damping - these are cheaper (around $1,200 CDN), but don't offer height adjustment.

I have a friend who owns a VW tuning shop who agreed to bring these products in for me. If anyone is interested, PM me or e-mail me directly - I tried to set up a group buy for these, but got no response from the board...
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

If I remember correctly, the K.A.W uses Koni inserts, so I think they are somewhat alike the Ground Controls.

I`d definetely wait for the AST coilovers as they are made from scratch for the Mx3.

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

The K.A.W. ProfiKit is a full threaded-body coilover strut, not just a collar like the Ground Controls. I believe you are correct that their dampers are made by Koni, but they are not just the plain old inserts - they are made to K.A.W.'s specifications for each kit.

In my opinion, having the damper internals made by the leading manufacturer of adjustable dampers in the world is a GOOD thing... :)
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

I checked with Dave at Rallispec, the only North American distributor for AST, and they said they can special-order the MX-3 coilovers in (they only stock Subaru applications). Lead time for orders will be four weeks, and the price I was quoted was $1,495 US plus taxes and shipping from New Jersey.

If you are interested, you can e-mail Dave at rallispec@rallispec.com. Let him know JP passed on his info to you, along with the pricing.

I've also started inquiring with Koni directly about their own racing coilovers - I should hear back from them either way next week, and will pass on whatever info I get.
MEXTHREE

Post by MEXTHREE »

nice very nice i got to get me some of thos hahahahhahaa group buy? lol
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

I'm still waiting to hear back from Koni, but here's what I've been able to find out about their racing coilovers so far:

They may or may not have specs for MX-3 housings (that's what I'm waiting for info on), but if not, they offer the racing struts in two variants:

First, the 2817, which is a partially-complete, inverted, adjustable strut assembly, requiring only the fabrication of the lower mounting bracket to bolt the strut to the suspension uprights. The strut body is anodized aluminum, with a fully-threaded exterior and includes the spring seat. There is also a removable steel collar at the bottom to which you would weld the mounting brackets.

Second, the 2816, which is an inverted, adjustable damper assembly designed to go into a custom-fabricated coilover strut housing. This would require fabricating the entire strut body. The upside of this is that the strut body could be made of anything - stainless-steel, titanium - whatever you want.

Both are available in various lengths, and the valving and base compression/rebound settings can be specified by the end-user for either, so it is possible to have a "streetable" setup with these units.

The dampers can be re-valved, or fully rebuilt. Both compression and rebound are independently, externally adjustable by the use of hex keys at the bottom of the strut assembly. There are eight settings for each, giving a theoretical total of 64 adjustment levels!

Both are intended to be used with 2.5" diameter racing springs (E.G. Eibach ERS or ERD springs), which are available in a wide range of spring rates and lengths as well.

These will NOT be cheap, but they will ultimately be the best coilovers available!

If Koni already has a housing design and valving/damper settings on file for an MX-3, they should be able to give me a price for a complete set next week. Otherwise, this might be my next development project after the projector headlight conversion I'm working on!

FYI, Koni also says that they CAN do externally adjustable dampers in stock housings for any vehicle (even though the only ones they "officially" offer for the MX-3 are the Reds, which can not be adjusted on the car), but I imagine the cost for such a custom application would not be much less than the full coilovers anyway...
Macen

Post by Macen »

Any TÜV? :)
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

The AST set for the MX-3 is listed on their website as still having no TÜV certification...

My German is pretty minimal, but on KAW's page about their ProfiKit (their fully adjustable coilovers) they do mention "TÜV geprüften" a couple of times... Perhaps you may want to contact them?
Macen

Post by Macen »

I'm not sure if I must have Tüv or not.
But which will be the best, KAW or AST? KAW is adjustable in 20 steps and AST in 12.

Here's the Babelfish translation from the http://www.fahrwerke.de site:

"The absorbers can be adjusted in the inserted condition steplessly in the height and be adjusted depending upon motor vehicle type twenty-way in the hardness, this make possible a professional and individual Setup. K.A.W professional kits are combinations of setting lower feathers/springs and special shock absorbers, which guarantee a stepless setting lower with their external thread. In the shortened shock struts particularly made, shortened absorbers with appropriate tuning work. With the adjustable aluminum spring discs the setting lower feathers/springs and thus the vehicle can be adjusted and co-ordinated steplessly in the height. With the thread chassis a linking up feather/spring was blocked, which always holds the Hautpfeder for pre-loading and for a progressive total spring rate provides. Different equipments and vehicle remarks entail thus no surprises with setting lower. You can realize their desire setting simply and accurately within the TÜV approved switching position.

Which is to be considered:
1. Before the adjustment of the shock struts absolutely rough dirt must removed, which threads are cleaned cleanly and oiled possibly, otherwise exists the danger of the damage of the external thread.
2. Setting dimension of lower edge guard ring to end of external threads take up.
3. Guard ring by means of hook spanners loosen, afterwards the upper spring disc can be adjusted in the height steplessly. The measure of the adjustment of the upper spring disc corresponds almost to the high or setting those lower is hereby reached.
4. Examine after the adjustment setting dimension and guard ring again put on.
5. Trace and basic values examine and if necessary for the given values adjust again.
6. Consider the TÜV examined setting lower range during the adjustment."
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

hmm, if KAW`s are Tuv approved, I might be interested in selling my Koni + Groundcontrols (with helpersprings), and getting those.

If I get stopped now, I probably have to buy all new struts and springs to be allowed on the streets with it.

How much are the KAW`s?

nope-mx3
Macen

Post by Macen »

nope-mx3 wrote:How much are the KAW`s?
€1227
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

I saw it.. kinda expensive :)

Just had about €2000 in bills this month :)

I might try to sell a HTPC here, should be able to get some for that atleast.
Dont have much use for it anymore.

nope-mx3
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

nope-mx3 wrote:I might try to sell a HTPC here, should be able to get some for that atleast.
Dont have much use for it anymore.
Bah, sell it and get outside and drive :)
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”