transmission cooler

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
PeaCheZ

transmission cooler

Post by PeaCheZ »

ive looked everywhere can anyone help me??
jrors
Supporting Member

HI....

Post by jrors »

Have you tried Autozone yet? I got mines there for about $50. Any major auto parts store should carry them. Update us to let us know when you get one please.
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared
PeaCheZ

Post by PeaCheZ »

i will, but one question my tranny is great, but it seems that everyone passes me on the road, like i dont floor my car at all, i baby it so much , i was just wondering is there any cheap way of modifying my auto tranny to make it faster or its jus the engine??
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

sorry but the auto's are hopeless, a cooler will help it last longer, but if you wanna go faster you need a manual transmission
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

He's right. The auto tranny in our MX's suck.....so, there is really nothing you can do to the tranny to make your ride faster. However, you could always install a cold air intake to the engine. It'll give you a few more horses under the hood..... but, that about it.
If you want more power, you'll have to switch to manual........ and a
BP-T engine...... you'll be happy then with that juice under the hood!
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

If you are buying a tranny cooler just so you be more rough with it and race it then you are a complete idiot, it will still die if you abuse it like that. Adding a tranny cooler will just extend the life of the transmission under normal driving conditions.
PatMX3

BP-T engine?

Post by PatMX3 »

How does the V6 in the MX3 compare to this BP-T engine????
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

PeaCheZ wrote:i will, but one question my tranny is great, but it seems that everyone passes me on the road, like i dont floor my car at all, i baby it so much , i was just wondering is there any cheap way of modifying my auto tranny to make it faster or its jus the engine??

what engine do you have? 4cyl or V6?

our engines are not suited to auto transmissions, the 4cyl is too wimpy, and the V6 needs revs before it produces a meaningful amount of torque.

if you're not keen on flooring your car, then you need a big, lazy engine
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
glow

Post by glow »

If you are buying a tranny cooler just so you be more rough with it and race it then you are a complete idiot, it will still die if you abuse it like that. Adding a tranny cooler will just extend the life of the transmission under normal driving conditions.
hate to change the subject, but i think i drive my mx3 reasonably, i accelerate at about 2.5-3k RPM's, but sometimes go accelerate at 3-4k RPM's....

what is considered being rough with an auto tranny, over 4 or 5k RPM's?

I'm just curious b/c I dont want to put my car through hell without knowing it. If 3-3.5K RPM's is no good, i'll be sure to keep it under 3K RPMs

Thanks
94 GS

Return to “Transmissions”