Sry for bringing up old topic, but.... (KJ)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

PATDIESEL wrote:Guess that is my KJ inexperience showing.
What the heck is dash mounted auto shift? Never heard of that before.

Where is the ECU in a KJ Millinea?
Down somwhere u8nder the passagner seat in the RHD car, as for the
dash mounted autoshift, a mini shifter actully on the dash board!
as the center consol is just a massive storage area .
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
ADathomir

Post by ADathomir »

Simply put: I don't know how to drive a manual

I've tried before (on a honda accord I'd bought), and I was declared hopeless by two people. i ended up giving the honda back and Dallas tried to teach me on his 300ZX buy I don't like drving a manual.

I get distracted enough when driving, and I think if I add a cluth and stick I have to shift in the mix, it will be bad times.
FlyingMXer

Post by FlyingMXer »

jacked up post sry
Last edited by FlyingMXer on March 13th, 2006, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Later, D
92 4-banger (totaled unfortunately. Current ride is 2001 Mustang GT)
FlyingMXer

Post by FlyingMXer »

PATDIESEL wrote:Doing a ZE would be the easiest thing. If your stock MX-3 auto tranny is ok it will bolt up and work. The ZE does not have enough power to wear out the stock tranny from a MX-3, but it will cause it to heat up more. Thus you'll need to install a tranny cooler to keep the temps down. (heat is the major killer of trannies)
If your MX-3 auto tranny is not in good shape (like most I've ever seen and at our car's age and milage) I would suggest that you convert to manual. It is a good bit more work, but in the end is the most reliable solution. I do not think that the auto ZE tranny will fit, but since some ZE engines come with the auto tranny for free (find one that does have a tranny for free) you could always try and fit it in the engine bay and see for yourself. They are a bit longer and the stock MX-3 trannies already come close to the engine cradle.
So I need to get a ZE and bolt it up to an auto K8 tranny and that will supposedly fit? I would rather do a ZE install because there is more information and I know it has been done. The reason I was inquiring about the KJ was that it came with an auto and supposedly uses same mounts as ZE. I just want to find out if a ZE + auto will fit or if I need to look farther in to the KJ possibility. I'm willing to do the work just want to get the show on the road. Thanks for all the info everbody.

Dallas
Later, D
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

A couple of thoughts regarding the KJZE....., if we're assuming the KLZE + KL auto won't fit in an MX3, then why would the KJZE + KJ auto fit? does someone have access to the KJ auto tranny for some measurements?
also to answer a previous question, the last major KJ thread came to the conclusion that the MX3 5spd wouldn't be able to handle the amount of low-down torque the KJZE produces (without alterations)
as for ecu/harnesses etc....., i figured it would be easiest to go with a standalone system

FlyingMXer....., if you're gonna put the KLZE into your auto MX3, you'll need to use the K8 ecu to control the auto computer/transmission, and an Airflow Controller to ensure you don't run rich (ecu just dumps the fuel)
when mine was auto i used an intercept link (search on here for more info..., it was one of our irritating, unrelated discussions :D )

ADathomir....., seriously, have a real good go at learning a manual transmission (perhaps get Dallas to take one for a test drive!), cos with the amount of torque the KL produces, it would be a piece-of-piss to drive
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

Aston Wards wrote:if we're assuming the KLZE + KL auto won't fit in an MX3, then why would the KJZE + KJ auto fit? does someone have access to the KJ auto tranny for some measurements?
I don't know about the auto trannys that came with the KLZEs...I have never seen one. But they came in a j-spec millenia and Mx-6. The LSD manual transmission form the J-spec Mx-6 fits in an mx-3 so by that logic the automatic tranny from a Millenia or Mx-6 should fit in an mx-3. Has it been proven that it won't? I have never read this anywhere so I don't know for certain. Also, We know for sure that the mx-3's Auto tranny will bolt up to the ZE.

I think that this whole mess has gotten out of hand? Why are we talking about other motor combonations at all. Is your K8 completely shot? You will not get much better gas mileage out of a ZE in City Driving. 200-220 miles to a tank with lots of reving. 250-280 miles if you are on the highway under 4,000 RPM. Would it not be cheaper and easier to go find another Auto tranny from an Mx-3 to bolt on to your K8? I am not trying to be critical, but why are you talking about getting a ZE?

As for the KJ Auto tranny...I will take lots of pictures of it laying next to a manual K8 tranny on Thursday if all goes well. Then we will test fit the manual tranny on the KJ motor.
93 GS KLZE Straight Neck (Parked)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
ADathomir

Post by ADathomir »

The tranny is shot for sure...

Dallas is my car guy, but we know the car is burning oil and not getting the power nor the gas milage it should at all, which is I guess why we were talking engine swap...and he said both engines whether it be the KLZE or the KJ have more power...
ADathomir

Re: Sry for bringing up old topic, but.... (KJ)

Post by ADathomir »

FlyingMXer wrote:We started looking at an engine swap because the current one just doesn't run like it should. I mean it goes through 3/4 of a tank in 148 miles. I thought for $400 a JDM K8 would probably be cheaper than trying to fix the old one ( I would do the work myself but time is a factor and I dont have enough spare time to tinker and figure out what is wrong with it whereas an engine swap could be done in a shorter time frame). In my research I found the KJ. Has the KJ swap ever been done and does anyone think it would be worth it? For my own research, where can I find the size specs for the KL-ZE?
This should explain the need for an engine swap (Dallas told me to point back to that in case it was missed, since the question was posed as to why we were even talking engine swap.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Fieromx-3 has his rebuilt auto on his KLDE and fried it on the test run.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Fieromx-3 has his rebuilt auto on his KLDE and fried it on the test run.
This was my concern with putting an auto tranny on any other engine with more power. It would break down fast. To be honest with you. If you are dead against a manual transmission your most reliable option would be to just get another working K8. Maybe someone on here is doing a swap and you can get it for cheep. Heck, I was going to give mine to anyone who wanted it but there were no takers so it went to the J-yard. If you do a swap at all I would suggest pairing a KLDE with an Auto Tranny...again...assuming that it would fit. I don't know how well this would work though. Plugs might not match up. You might need the entire wiring harnes and ECU to do it. Has anyone had any experience with the Auto trannys from KLDEs?
93 GS KLZE Straight Neck (Parked)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
FlyingMXer

Post by FlyingMXer »

Thanks again for the info. I wasnt talking about pairing a ZE and a KJ tranny i was inquiring as to the entire KJ swap. I was afraid a ZE would kill a K8 tranny. I wanted to do the ZE swap but she doesnt want a manual and I had read that ZE auto would not fit. That is the reason the whole KJ issue came about. As ccreech asked why would it not fit if the manual does? Is it that much bigger? Does anyone know definitively if it will or not?

As to why the engine swap... I don't know what is wrong with the K8. I am so busy with class and work that I dont have time to try and root out the problems myself, and honestly I am tired of trying to figure out engines that wont run right (I have an 86 300zx that has wore me out and is for sale if anyone is interested :2thumbsup: ). It would probably cost just as much as a jdm engine for the labor costs of the mechanic fixing it and I would still have a tranny to go. A new K8 would work fine, but why do that when you could upgrade? :twisted: The old one is coming out anyway.

ccreech, thanks for doing test fitting with the KJ. Even if we dont use it I am sure it will be valueable to the MX-3 community. Once again thanks to all.

Dallas
Later, D
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

ccreech wrote: Has anyone had any experience with the Auto trannys from KLDEs?
Mason Holmes tried a few years ago to put an Automatic from an MX-6 or a Probe onto his ZE or DE... in his MX-3. I cant remember.

Anyway- I dont believe he ever got the wiring figured out and ended up using the rebuilt parts that he bought for the DE tranny on his k8 auto tranny.

He researched for months and months and went thru every wiring diagram in history for every car with the automatic trannies he was messing with. He tried all kinds of variations and never got it working if I remember correctly.

If I were you I would contact Mason Holmes and see what he ended up doing for sure.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Fieromx-3 has his rebuilt auto on his KLDE and fried it on the test run.
That's odd...., i abused the hell out of my auto tranny with the KFZE. Once i installed the intercept link, had no codes, no problems whatsoever (till the horsefloat incident :oops: )

ccreech/flying MXer...., the MX6 manual gearbox is the same as the MX3 manual, which is why it fits. The MX6 auto gearbox is ALOT different to the MX3 auto (i don't see why Mazda would tool-up to build a smaller, weaker gearbox if they didn't need to)
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”