Digital Clock. Green to blue or red ?

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Micv

Digital Clock. Green to blue or red ?

Post by Micv »

I am changing my instrument cluster lights from green to red. I just can't find a way to change colour of the clock. I've seen posts sugesting removing a coloured film and changing it to a blue or red one. I disasembled the instrument cluster today, and found a green coloured piece of plastic infront of the clock, but even with this piece of plastic removed the clock was still green. Is there a film even closer to the display ? Is there a better soloution ?
shawno

Post by shawno »

Hey yea im pretty sure theres something that makes is green. did u take apart the clock houseing and inspected it. and if all fails try get red plastic like the lenses that u put over strobe light to change the color.
92 GS KL-ZE, millenia intake, 5 Speed, Custom eyelids, custom molded 98 Toyota supra tail lights, Lowered, lambo doors. Still under construction, And more to come
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I don't believe it's a film at all, it's a set of green LED lights like the large majority of LED clocks
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Micv

Post by Micv »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:I don't believe it's a film at all, it's a set of green LED lights like the large majority of LED clocks
Hmm, it looks like it. But there must be someone who has attempted this before. People with indiglo gauges must have the same problem...

@shawno. I didn't take the clock housing appart, I just tried it without the obvious green plastic lens.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Micv wrote:
Nd4SpdSe wrote:I don't believe it's a film at all, it's a set of green LED lights like the large majority of LED clocks
Hmm, it looks like it. But there must be someone who has attempted this before. People with indiglo gauges must have the same problem...
It's not a problem, and my guages are blue, so it doesn't bother me. The only thing that I've done is that I've played with the LED read-out on an old broken cable box when i was a kid, I applied different voltages to the LED's they went from red(default) to yellow to green, but after a dozen seconds, they'd burn out and make this horrible smell. A regular LED light, chaning the voltage just changes the brightness.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Micv

Post by Micv »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
Micv wrote:
It's not a problem, and my guages are blue, so it doesn't bother me. The only thing that I've done is that I've played with the LED read-out on an old broken cable box when i was a kid, I applied different voltages to the LED's they went from red(default) to yellow to green, but after a dozen seconds, they'd burn out and make this horrible smell. A regular LED light, chaning the voltage just changes the brightness.
It doesn't bother you that your gauges are blue and your clock is green ?
It bothers me like h.... :D
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

You need to take the clock out and solder in some new led displays like the ones from this catalog -
http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T061/1754.pdf
They come in all color, size, shapes and what not...

I dont know the specific schematics of the the leds used in our clock - but it should be easy to find out once you get the clock out - it might be plug n play (because the led displays were standardized long time ago) - but if mazda used some non standard japanese version you still might be able to rewire it.

Overall, its possible and fairly easy to do if you have some basic electrical/electronics knowledge - after you get the clock out of the panel of course.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

DONT order LED displays like ariesdude suggested...

The clock in the MX uses a FL display and theyre not interchangable with LED displays..

If youre going to use LED displays in the clock, get a clock LED controller for it of off ebay or something and then completely eliminate the original clock and controller.
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies
den

Post by den »

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 5 speed
Reverse glow gauge, Custom CAI, Cross drilled rotors. Toucan front strut tower bar, Custom circular ground wires, Custom exhaust w/ stainless oval dual tip muffler, Custom blue turn indicator lights on gauge panel and switches, performance steering wheel, Pacesetter short shifter

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”