Bolt-In, Plug-and-Play Projector Lights

New product ideas and status of new product development postings.
ovendenk
Supporting Member

Post by ovendenk »

hey tatsu. not to rush you or anything, but is there any update? you posted pics of the finished mouting bracket 3 months ago. i know a lot of personal stuff has happened since and i hope everything is back to normal with you, but just wondering how this is coming along. thanks.
kevin (aka The Oven)
93 mx-3 GS KL-ZE with KL31 cams and properly chipped ecu
All mods are on my website: http://ca.geocities.com/ovendenk
MX-3.com Worklog: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48462
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

Actually, the bracket in the pics didn't work out - one of the mounting tabs was too short, and the whole assembly was too flexible, making aiming very difficult.

I have gone through two other designs since, with the first one being not bad, but my plastics guys screwed up the prototype (a couple of bits were done incorrectly), and the most recent one I have in for prototyping right now.

You have to understand that I am funding this out of my own pocket (credit, actually), and with the level of interest shown so far I am not even expecting to break even, just recover a portion of my costs! As it is, I am working on it as time and budget permits, and expecting my set of housings to cost me at least three or four times as much as the ones I am selling to everyone else! If I had 20 solid "orders" it would be a different story - that said, I WILL finish this project, it is simply a matter of resources...
ovendenk
Supporting Member

Post by ovendenk »

tatsu wrote:Actually, the bracket in the pics didn't work out - one of the mounting tabs was too short, and the whole assembly was too flexible, making aiming very difficult.

I have gone through two other designs since, with the first one being not bad, but my plastics guys screwed up the prototype (a couple of bits were done incorrectly), and the most recent one I have in for prototyping right now.

You have to understand that I am funding this out of my own pocket (credit, actually), and with the level of interest shown so far I am not even expecting to break even, just recover a portion of my costs! As it is, I am working on it as time and budget permits, and expecting my set of housings to cost me at least three or four times as much as the ones I am selling to everyone else! If I had 20 solid "orders" it would be a different story - that said, I WILL finish this project, it is simply a matter of resources...
fair enough, i understand. i'm sorry if i came off in a rude way, i was just trying to see what the situation is. i really appreciate your effort in this project and it seems as though by the time it somes together, i'll be getting a set. thanks again.
kevin (aka The Oven)
93 mx-3 GS KL-ZE with KL31 cams and properly chipped ecu
All mods are on my website: http://ca.geocities.com/ovendenk
MX-3.com Worklog: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48462
chertel

Post by chertel »

You are funding this with your own credit! I wont speak for anyone else but here is an idea? It might sound dumb but if all the people interested in your projector headlights made a small donation would that help? ovendenk, you said that with the level of interest shown so far that you are not expecting to break even so I dont know if a donation from the small amount interested would help? Or if anyone else would be in to donate? I dont want to do the civic projector swap because when the hood is open they look ugly like they dont fit the car so I definately would be in for a set of yours. Anyway just an idea? Good or bad? :?
Later.
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

chertel wrote:... if all the people interested in your projector headlights made a small donation would that help?
I think it's a great idea. I'd be down to pitch some coin your way Tatsu, if it helped keep the ball rolling.
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

While it would be helpful, I wouldn't feel right about taking people's money before having a product to give them. Thanks for the offer though!
blindfendersk8r

Post by blindfendersk8r »

im new to this forum, and the MX-3, actually i just got mine saturday
its a 95 DOHC, and i have to say already i am very interested in there lights, mine are all oxidized, and i know nobody else makes um, and i dont wanna put in the civics, i would DEFENITLY buy some...so put me on the list
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

blindfendersk8r wrote:im new to this forum, and the MX-3, actually i just got mine saturday
its a 95 DOHC, and i have to say already i am very interested in there lights, mine are all oxidized, and i know nobody else makes um, and i dont wanna put in the civics, i would DEFENITLY buy some...so put me on the list
Read the appearance FAQ.
blindfendersk8r

Post by blindfendersk8r »

thanx that helps alot, im still interested in these lights tho
ur personal website has alot of stuff on it as well
i have a bunch of questions, seein how im new the the MX-3, my last car was a sunfire....i know. but i wont get off topic here
thanx again
chatterbox4507
Supporting Member

Post by chatterbox4507 »

I've read all the postings and im in for a set! They look great! Thanks
Car: 92 mx3 GS with an abused past
just bought a 95 rs with 75k on it for 200$!!!
chatterbox4507
Supporting Member

Post by chatterbox4507 »

Um just wondering how things are going with everything. or if this is dead in the water. not bugging just asking for a update is all. Thank you!
Car: 92 mx3 GS with an abused past
just bought a 95 rs with 75k on it for 200$!!!
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

Still going - the third mounting bracket design didn't work out, so I am going ahead with a slightly modified version of my second design. I will post here when there is another update.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

I am still not sure why you didnt just ask PatDiesel for his design... It fits two Hella 90mm and fits right into place. I am sure you two could have worked out a deal.

These were taken about 10 days ago....

Pic without the GTS cover:

Pic with the GTS cover:

The lights are fully aimable.

You could have had this thing done in a few weeks rather than drag this out and get the members hopes up for months on end with little to no progression on your part.

I seem to remember predicting this would happen with this project.... annnnd it did. I have seen it TOO many times.

:roll:
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

As I discussed with Pat back then, for what I wanted to do, his design would not work.

First, my goal with this was (and is) to require NO cutting or drilling of any kind, including modifications to the bulkhead behind the stock headlight housings. If I am not mistaken, his design required some trimming in that area.

Second, my design is intended to be used without any kind of exterior lens if the end user so desires (the so-called "Rally" look), and Pat's design will not work for that either, due to the square-ish profile. The only use for it would be as the mounting bracket for the moulded exterior cover, and the design would have to be so extensively modified for that purpose as to be the same as doing it from scratch.

Third, the snap-in mounting screws are concealed in my design. Just my personal preference, but I'd rather not see them from the front.

As for "getting members hopes up for months on end", I have been posting with what progress there has been at the request of people on this thread. If my mailbox were being flooded with buyers with cash in hand to buy these things it would be a different story, but the fact is that only about ten people have thus far demonstrated a serious interest in buying these, and then only at the prices I would be able to offer by spreading the development costs over twenty sets. Ask Pat how many sets of lights he sold...

I am, therefore, looking at the very real possibility of it actually costing me a few grand to sell these lights to others, or looked at another way, spending ten times as much on my set of lights as those I sell to others, so I am planning accordingly and not committing the funds until I can afford to do it without going further into debt. Seeing as I am just a regular, 9-5 job guy with a family, a mortgage, and other expenses to cover and responsibilities to fulfill, that time is understandably slow in coming.

Quite frankly, it will be done when MY time and MY funds allow - I don't see you making ANY effort to provide anything, so your negative comments are neither productive nor welcome.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

No interest? Lets see... 9 pages... 133 replies... and over 8600 topic views.... (BTW... I cant find a larger topic on the ENTIRE forum than this one, other than the v6 turbo kit topic) yep thats absolutely no interest.

Progress since July? Still waiting for even 1 picture of your design.

Sorry man. I know you are a busy guy with a job and family and stuff. But why would you even start this topic and keep it going for so long if you werent going to be able to produce a product.

Many have come before you and tried to do exactly what you are doing: Mass produce after-market headlights for the MX-3 that are (semi)affordable for the general MX-3 population.

All of them at some point in time have realized that unless you [the hypothetical you, not YOU specifically] are a major company or have lots of spare $$ to waste on this-- Then its simply not going to happen. And thats why it HASN'T happened yet.

:?
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com

Return to “New Product Development”