KLZE engine/trans mounts info 5SPD

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
placham

KLZE engine/trans mounts info 5SPD

Post by placham »

I need pictures of how the mounts should look like for instaling a KLZE 5spd in a MX-3

Car---> Mazda MX-3 V6 GS (it was auto)

I'm swaping in a (J-spec) Straight Neck KLZE 5spd into a V6 MX-3 auto.

I will be doing some work to the brake master cylinder but I need the engine to sit it the engien bay the way it has to, before I can start work on BMC.

I need some pictures (I would appreciate pictures or info of car mounts that I can use for "SN" KLZE.

Can I use any of the mounts from the K8 Auto??

Here i have PIC of my engine with numbers I put on for the mounts, please refare to these numbers for the mounts you are talking about:

No.1= Passanger motor mount under coolant hose neck
No.2= Front transaxle (radiator side) mount
No.3= Transaxle top mount (underneath battery)
No.4= Transaxle back (firewall/bulkhead) mount

I have the engine mount on the No.1 mount and bracket, I tried No.2 mount but makes the engine sit too much foreward(engine looks kind of crocked when looking from side). I dont have the No.3 mount, and the auto No.4 mount does not fit on the MTX.

Off of what car can I get these mount so they work, pictures of the No.3 mount would be appreciated as I have never seen what that mount with the bracket that bolts up to the frame looks like.

When I get the engine place correctly in the engine bay, I will do some work to the BMC as that is the only thing that seems to be in the way of the KLZE clearing the engine bay, it seems simple to go by, but need engine in first.

THANKS
kiwi_MX3

Re: KLZE engine/trans mounts info 5SPD

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

placham wrote: No.1= Passanger motor mount under coolant hose neck
No.2= Front transaxle (radiator side) mount
No.3= Transaxle top mount (underneath battery)
No.4= Transaxle back (firewall/bulkhead) mount

No.1 = EAY3-39-060
No.2 = EAY3-39-040 ( wide bolt legs )
No.3 = EAY3-39-070 ( thought you still need the bracket from the MTX )
No.4 = EAY3-39-050 ( Narrow mount though chunky in the rubber )

thats No.3 the bracket is not supplied with the mount.
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
twoie

Post by twoie »

placham,

Start a worklog! I'm in the same boat with auto gs and would like to convert over in the future. A good worklog with pics and info in one place would be invaluable.

twoie
placham

Post by placham »

kiwi_MX3----> That No.3 mount it's from an Automatic trans correct, because that's what my auto trans mount looks like. Its not for a 5spd V6 or is it????

If so do I keep that bracket that bolts to the frame, and just get the mount that goes between the bracket and trans right.???

Mount No.2 5spd is also different than the auto V6 right.???

kiwi_MX3 you wouldnt happen to have pictures of the other mounts that I have to get or use?????

I got most of the issues worked out but need some info on the mount so I get the correct ones

I need to get this worked out first before I address the Brake master cylinder issue for the straight neck KZLE fitment

twoie----> I wouldnt mind doing a "How to" auto 2 manual conversion, as I had a hard time finding a good "How to" with pictures. I just did it by posting lots of questions on the forum.

*****THIS IS JUST TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF WHAT YOU NEED, I WOULD HAVE TO WRITE ONE MORE DETAILED TO BE A "HOW TO" AND INCLUDE MORE PICTURES***********

I have more pictures but they are on my camera at the time

I dont have lots of time, because during the week I have to drive a semi truck with my dad, hopefully dont have to do it for long. I try to squeeze my work in on the weekends, and thats the time I sometimes have to get parts during also.

Here is a parts list of the parts that I got. (I'm swaping to a 2.5L KLZE during this time also, but that should not make a differance as long as you have a V6 K8 or similar)

KLZE
KL36 ECM
VAF with full wiring

Japanese 5SPD trany that came stock with KLZE (I dont know the model off of top of my head but its something like M25G or something, Its a 5SPD trany for a V6 K family MAZDA engines I guess)
Ok it's called G25M-R I just checked, you could get it from a 1993+ Ford Probe (GT I guess), 1993+ Mazda MX-6 V6, 1993+ Mazda 626 I think they were 5spd models also, Mazda MX-3 not sure exactly what year it came out, MX-3 trany is the same but the (final drive gear ratio is different than FPGT,MX-6,626 have taller gears, which I was told should help out on top end speed and such)

If your buing trany from junkyard, or some other source you will need these parts that go between trany and engine. (They can be replaced with new ones, as they have to be over time during service maintance if worn out (just like brake pads they wear out over time) I wouldnt get them from a junkyard if they wouldnt look good or if I was to upgrade in a near future it will save you some money and time.

Flywheel bolted to engine, with starter ring gear on it, automatic cars have flex plate it bolts up to the crank and torque converter and has starter ring gear on it.
Clutch friction disc
Clutch pressure plate
Throwout bearing
Throwout bearing fork (its a must) between throwout bearing and slave cylinder
Pilot bearing (sits in the crankshaft, supports the transmission input shaft, there are several different types I dont know how the one on this MAZDA trans is because I never had it appart, here is a picture of a clutch kit for a Probe .ps. its a ebay auction so picture might not be available when it ends.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PROBE-MA ... 8697QQrdZ1
From left top: friction disc ,top right: pressure plate, left bottom: throwout bearing, middle: pilot bearing, right bottom: alignment tool needed to align the clucth friction disc when fightning the pressure plate so the input shaft goes in ok.
Clutch slave cylinder bolted to the front side of the trans.
Hydraulic clutch hard lines ( they look like brake lines) I bought a line for a 1993 MX-6, I straightend it out and bent it back to shape to fit in the MX-3 chassis it extends to the front of the car, there is another line between slave cylinder and car body they are connected with a rubber hose to compensate for any flexing/movement of an engine ( I will try to get picture somtime today if my camera works, old batteries)

I have a Master clutch cylinder from a 4cyl MX-3 (MX-6 looks the same but where the hard line connects to it its more to the side as where MX-3s connects from bottom, this could be fixed by bending your own clucth hard line to shape into the engine bay.

I used a MX-3 4cyl pedals bracket with clutch pedal, brake pedal, I tried to use the old auto bracket but the pedal came up too high because it does not have a stopper for pedal.

MX-3 shifter with rods

I guess the starter is different also(mounting and teeth on gear) auto trany starter sits in the back, manual trany starter sits in the front.

I think that's it, the wiring I'm not sure about as i'm using my new wiring that came with KLZE, you could modify your K8 auto trany wiring harness you just ahve to look it up on the forum it was done before for swaping tranys in the past.

here is a picture of some of the parts I got it's not all of them do: MX-6 shifter is similar but the rods are about 1 inch longer than MX-3, get the clutch master cylinder withthe hose that connects to the brake master cylinder

You will also need to replace axles
Driver side axle has to be replaced
Pasanger side axle can be reused but the "jack shaft" that extends from the trans has to be replaced as the output from trans is larger than the auto trany.

I used the on from "Jack shaft" MX-6 it seems to fit nice connects to passanger side MX-3 axle.

MX-6 axles are similar correct lenght, correct size with splines fro trans mission, but the side that is splined that goes into the wheel hub is larger than the MX-3 from MX-6 so they will not fit because of that
twoie

Post by twoie »

placham,

wow! thanks for the info and pics. I had to swap out my k8 for another just a couple of months ago, so now I'm familiar with removal and install. I had bought the car with a blown motor for $150 dollars and was solid in all other areas. Now that I've driven it for 2,000 miles (and know everything esle seems to work) I want to do the atx to mtx and klze swap. All the info is on this site but your write up has the much needed pics. Thank you for the time you put into your response. Keep posting pics so I can follow the progress.

thanks,

twoie
placham

Post by placham »

150 USD for a car that's dirt cheap.

This is my brothers car actualy, he got it recently as my dad was going to junk the car or sell it, because it did not pass emissions. So we decided to swap in a KLZE, manual was a must just because (oh and auto trany was on its last leg also, it was fixed by the dealer when the car was bought about 5 years ago for 7500USD with warranty, trany lasted about 4 years).

I recently got the KZLE(I probably have been working 3 weekends on it so far, that would be 3 saturdays and some times sundays as well) the project is moving slowely. As because I get one thing going and it seems that there has to be another thing done as well before I can move on, but its fun thats what I like to do on my spare time.

Hope fully this thing will be back on the road before or during April, because I have to go in and take another emission test as it was postponed.

I will probably make a web page at CARDOMAIN of all the things I have done so far, I will not be able to do it this week, unless my brother will do it, but I will let you know when I made some progress on this subject.
placham

Post by placham »

kiwi_MX3 the picture of the mount you posted is it the one I'm suposed to use, because I have one just like that but its from auto trany

twoie I just want to show you couple of picturs of the parts I have, I will be making a page soon.

clutch pedal with breake pedal bracket VS. brake pedal bracket, they are similar, but the one from auto does not have a stopper for clutch pedal and the pedal comes up too much it could be easily modified but i did not want to mess with it.

Pedal are in (just the way it was ment to be from factory)

Shifter in
Shifter rods in engine bay, they are tied up with a wire for time being, they are to the left of crossmember underneath Power Stearing

I dont have a picture but I cleaned up the shift rods and spray painted them with rubberized paint, something like a paint on bed liner for pickups to prevent more rust.

Clucth master cylinder mounted in, MX-6 are similar but where the hydraulic hard line comes out its not towards the bottom but towards the driver fender, if thats the only one you can find I guess it could work fine just bend the lines to fit engine bay.
Here you can see the CMC with MX-6 hard line runing along the frame rail ( I used the MX-6 line and bent it to shape as that was the one i had available, from this one there is a rubber hose that connects to the transmission hard line, you can kind of see it in the picture the rubber hose its hanging down infront of the trans.

This is the cable you will have to remove as it is for the P(Park) position on the gear selector so you dont remove the keys while in any other position except P, You just take about 3 little screws from top of the ignition key cylinder lock and remove a small metal plate which blocks the key from turning down when not in P, than you just but it back the way it was with out the metal plate, there is also a small spring I just put it back in.

Some more misc pictures
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

I can comfirm that is a mannual 5sp mount.
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
twoie

Post by twoie »

placham
so far so good. Pics are a huge help!

thanks

twoie
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Great idea on the master cylinder :wink:

Completely out of the way and no issues with the ZE hitting it when under load. 8)
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
placham

Post by placham »

PATDIESEL----> You helped me out with the axles for the KLZE trany, I would need your help again.

This one is about the mounts

Which mounts do I need to get for the KLZE with manual trany, I had a auto before but the auto mounts seem not to fit the KLZE the one on the radiator and firewall side, and I'm SOL on the transmission mount underneath the battery I have never seen it in actuality and dont know what shape mount to look for, for the G25M-R trany. Have you ever seen pictures on the net of all the mounts needed for MX-3 when swaping KLZE manual. Pictures would help, so I could easily indentify the mounts I need from junkyard.

About the Brake master cylinder. Well I know that you have installed a straight neck KLZE in MX-3 and you did some modifications to the chassis mounting points if I'm correct. And I know that you dont want everybody else doing what you thought up as a solution, and I can respect that, it's your way of solving that issue.

I'm trying to instal the straight neck KLZE also but I need the engine to sit in the bay the way it was supposted to be, at this time the BMC is off, that should give you an idea of what I'm trying to do. My solution will have something to do with the brake master cylinder.

Thanks
Oh and by the way I will not be moving the BMC over from its factory place, as that might be dangerous to do as it's the way this was designed by the engeneers at MAZDA.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”