Front Suspension Coil Spring Broke -- Help!!

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
soccerchick84

Front Suspension Coil Spring Broke -- Help!!

Post by soccerchick84 »

Hey all,

So here's my issue.... I have a 96 mx-3 and my front suspension coil spring has snapped. (Didn't get the tire tho, which is about the only upside cause they're brand new!) I see that there's a recall and a lifetime warranty for cars registered in eastern Canada with this spring issue -- I live in the west (BC), but as far as I know my car came from OOP.

Does anyone know if Mazda dealerships will honour the recall for this issue outside of the specified areas?? Love my car and will glady pay to fix all this, but doing so means not going to Hawaii in April like I'd planned!!! If there's a way around paying for all of it, please let me know!

Thank you :)

~Megs
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

hmmm its hard to say because the car is a old car. Plus your better off just getting a set of KYB's with some lowering springs.
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
Mazda_Powered

Post by Mazda_Powered »

they should honour the replacement, i know in the US for a certain year the mx3's power seat belts were lifetime guaranteed, same with another years rear struts from what i've heard.

JACK

hope this helps. let us know how it goes :)
.::Mazda::speeD::.

working on the 2nd part ;)
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

If not, then get a spring from a junkyard or part-out MX3 and have someone put it on. Can't cost more than labor for a single strut replacement since the proceedure for strut replacement would be the same for spring replacement.
JapesMooney

Post by JapesMooney »

While my springs haven't YET sprung into my tires, I did just try to get Mazda to honour the recall and install the guards/hoods for it. When I called my local dealer here in Guelph ON, [an area definitely covered by the recall] they asked for my VIN, and after a quick computer search told me that my car had no applicable recalls. Fine, I thought, this is probably just a typical instance of the dealer being cheap, so I didn't argue the point. I thought that I'd be clever and just call the head office for Canada and talk to them about it. This I did, and received the same answer [after what was admittedly very nice treatment]. So I have to tell you that I wouldn't hold out to much hope for them honouring it at this point, especially out in B.C. I've since just bought the guards myself [$35 or so] and I'll install them come Spring.
On a related note, HOW THE HELL CAN THEY NOT HONOUR A GENERAL RECALL!!!! Am I under some misunderstanding in believing that they apply to the year in toto, and not just specific vehicles, or what?
Anyway, good luck with it
Japes
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Not sure if the term recall may be appropriate here. But there was a service bulliten for I believe all MX's in Canada wrt to springs. They, the springs were prown to cracking/braking. Mazda's solution was to place some spacers between the coils near the top of the springs I believe. I had it done when I was unknowing advised by the local shop when it was in for some annual maintenance. This was a few years ago. Your VIN# will be identified with Mazda as to whether it had been done or not by the previous owner, that's assuming that you're not the original owner. If it has been done, I'm not sure if there would still be any liability with Mazda on this if the previous correction had already been done. Sorry it may pooch the vacation.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

lakersfan1 wrote:If not, then get a spring from a junkyard or part-out MX3 and have someone put it on. Can't cost more than labor for a single strut replacement since the proceedure for strut replacement would be the same for spring replacement.
LOL, i did that cause I found out my drivers side spring was broke not long after i got my car. I got some used from another Mx-3'er who upgraded his springs. When i did my B+G/Koni upgrade, i found out my drivers side was broken at the top and passenger side broken at the bottom of the coil
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
MazdaManiacMx3
Supporting Member

Post by MazdaManiacMx3 »

Both of mine broke in storage over the winter , 1 went through the tire , car dropped enough to break my bumper :cry:
93 Kandy Tangerine Mx3 GS-DE
05 Saab 9-2x (Wrx power plant)
02 Subaru Impreza OBS
05 Subaru forester Xt - sti mods
04 dodge ram - toy hauler -FOR SALE
& Lots of Toys to haul :D
soccerchick84

Post by soccerchick84 »

Wow--didn't realize this was such a prevalant problem. I called the Mazda dealership here, and they ran my VIN and said nope to any recalls -- too bad. I work at an Acura dealership tho, so I got my baby brought in there on a flat deck today, and they're in the process of deciding how much it's gonna cost me (luckily I can get cheap parts and labour). I've got about 180k on it -- should I do the axles and CVs while they're in there?? They're gonna price me out some used parts but I think I'd rather use new ones...

And I haven't given up on Hawaii yet, though a broken car hasn't been my only obstacle so far... :roll:

~Megan
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Don't do anything with the axles unless a boot is torn. Usually, that's all that'll ruin your stock axles is a broken boot.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I might still have a set of "slightly used" springs and struts for a GS. We were saving them for one of the MOCA members, but he ended up not using them. The shipping might not make it worth it since I live in the US though.
If you are interested EMAIL me and I'll get a shipping quote with your zip code.
I'll let the springs go for 40.00 for the pair of springs and struts. I think they has about 50,000 miles or less on them, but cannot remember exactly. The tag that sais the miles might still be on there.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
JapesMooney

Post by JapesMooney »

SoccerChick/Meagan

It would be great if you could post what the final cost ends up being. I've been waiting for the weather here in the Great White North to get warm enough to do this myself, but if it is cheap enough I'll just take it in.
I'd also appreciated it anyone following this post could volunteer the names of some reasonably priced replacements. I'm not particularly interested in lowering it, just in getting it to a point where I don't have to worry about it while driving. Thanks.
Cheers all
soccerchick84

Post by soccerchick84 »

Hi guys :)

I FINALLY got my car back today!! I just ended up doing springs and struts to try and keep the cost down, but it looks like it's gonna be CV time before too long... ew. I also almost needed to replace the top plates, and sway bar links, but ehh, that's all gonna have to wait. My front passenger spring was broken into 4 pieces, and the driver side in 2....amazing cause I was still driving on it. :o (I was gonna take pics, but the tech forgot to give me the old springs... no biggie, but I just thought it was kinda cool to see, so hopefully he still has them.)

Japes -- here's the cost breakdown. Keep in mind that I got these parts at cost cause I work at a dealership...

Front Struts (new)-- $106.52 each (From Lordco they're supposed to be very decent)
Front Springs (new)-- $105.15 each (Mazda and had to come from Toronto)

The job took 2.9 and labour cost me $159.50 -- not bad considering our shop rate is $110.hr.

Other than that, i got hosed on the alignment ($126!) and the total bill came to $820 and change (gotta love BC tax). No fun, but a lot better than it coulda been. ..right?? :)

Thanks everyone for your input, and good luck to the rest of you who are still dealing with this problem!

~Megan
JapesMooney

Post by JapesMooney »

Thanks for the information Maegan. Even at that price it now gets pushed into the 'wait until spring' column. Hopefully the springs won't blow apart in the meantime.
Cheers!
JP

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”