Couple Mx-3 Questions

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
92-Mx3

Couple Mx-3 Questions

Post by 92-Mx3 »

Hey guys i have a 92 mazda gs v6, and id really like to modify the engine, now i know most people would say "dont bother with the k8, just buy a KLZE" but i seriously dont have the money or else i definatly would, recently i have been putting minor mods on my engine and truly belive that the 1.8 has potential to be a fast engine. So anyways my question is, has anyone ever played around with Nitrus oxide with this car before?? I have been doing quite a bit of research and read somewhere that you can control the amount of nos that goes into the engine at anytime, so i could set it to spray in my power band ( 4,300 - 6,000 RPM) im just hoping some one has done it to give me some feed back, and another question is, are there any other significant modifcations besides, exaust,CAI, and spark plugs that would boost my performace (keep in mind im on a budget)?? Thanks guys

Cheers
1992 Mazda Mx-3 - I love my K8 :)
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

for the price it would take you to get decent numbers, you'll spend more on that k8 than you would on a KFZE or a KLZE.
Nd4SpdSe

Re: Couple Mx-3 Questions

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

92-Mx3 wrote:Hey guys i have a 92 mazda gs v6, and id really like to modify the engine, now i know most people would say "dont bother with the k8, just buy a KLZE" but i seriously dont have the money or else i definatly would, recently i have been putting minor mods on my engine and truly belive that the 1.8 has potential to be a fast engine. So anyways my question is, has anyone ever played around with Nitrus oxide with this car before?? I have been doing quite a bit of research and read somewhere that you can control the amount of nos that goes into the engine at anytime, so i could set it to spray in my power band ( 4,300 - 6,000 RPM) im just hoping some one has done it to give me some feed back, and another question is, are there any other significant modifcations besides, exaust,CAI, and spark plugs that would boost my performace (keep in mind im on a budget)?? Thanks guys

Cheers
K8's have been boosted, that I know forsure, I've seen one (MrSpanky) has a turbo K8, and I'm sure there are alot of N2o K8's out there, but what I don't like abous N2O is that it's not street legal. You can only use it at strips, their not permitted at autocross events or track/lapping eventss.

K8 has some potential, but the problem is, I don't believe I've ever seen a K8 with more power than a ZE. As well, if your making even 160ft/lbs of tq, you'll need tp upgrade your clutch. A stock Mx-3 clutch has slipping issues even on a KLDE.

Personally, and please don't take offense to this, but if your on a budget and you want to play around with forced induction, you probably can't afford to fix the problem if something happens, as well, you'll affect reliability...which may not be something you'll want to do if your car's a daily driver and you don't have a backup.

But then again, you could always *try* to blow up your K8, i'll give you an excuse to get a ZE ;)
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
max kl

Post by max kl »

i tried to make more power with my k8 and all i did was hurt drivabillity mazda put alot into the stock set up on the k8 the only other thing you could do is igntion up grade liks hei and some good wires a klde swap is preety cheap and seen to respond well to up grades. but.. if you do decide on headers nos or forced induction anything that bolts up to a k8 wiil go onto a kl
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
9.60s n the 8th mile so far 8.50s sprayn now
150 shot
Hoodzy

Re: Couple Mx-3 Questions

Post by Hoodzy »

92-Mx3 wrote:Hey guys i have a 92 mazda gs v6, and id really like to modify the engine, now i know most people would say "dont bother with the k8, just buy a KLZE" because it is cheaper in the long run way bigger bang for ur buck
Cheers
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
Neil

Post by Neil »

I'm not sure on current prices on the KLZE but i believe you can get them from anywhere from $800 to $1200 CDN.

So if you're on a budget and you want to make power your stock K8 is i believe 130hp? And a KLZE is 200hp? thats 70hp for $800-$1200CDN a turbo setup would cost double of a KLZE probaly more?

Headers are around $300 i believe and that still wont give you a lot of HP. And a full exhaust can cost between $300-$600 i believe and you wont make that much HP there either. A Cold Air Intake also wont give you hardly any power either.

I guess what i'm trying to say is what Custommx3 said.
Custommx3 wrote:for the price it would take you to get decent numbers, you'll spend more on that k8 than you would on a KFZE or a KLZE.
I know its not the answer you were looking for but if your on a budge just save your money and it'll be worth it more in the long run.
Ever notice anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
01-03 Civic Projector Swap Tutorial
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

For what I remember, I dont belive you can use K8 headers on a KL and visa-versa because of a different bolt pattern.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

I had the same mind set as you. "Pfff swap ya right..." But if you really think about it, it only makes sence..

I'm not extremely familiar with nitrouse, but it will run you about 700ISH (i could very well be wrong)

That nitrous only last when you push the botton, and its gone when you run out...then you gotta refill. And, your going to need a new clutch if you dont' want slippage, and nitrouse will put a strain on your engine.

My suggestion would be, if your gonna do it, do it right. If you want a faster car, get a KLZE. Sure its a coupel hundred more, but save you money and buy a PERMANent 70 more hp. It only makes sence. If you want a turbo, that will run you double on the wallet (then a ZE) and you'll have reliability issues AND turbo lag.

Lastly, swaps aren't HARD. Get a machanic to help you out, and you'll be fine. Why? Because puttin in a KLZE is like relacing your K8 with another K8.

If you really want to, go right ahead and buy the nitrouse...then when your tired of refilling it and when s--- starts to break, go buy a ZE and hook it up to that...

Personnaly i'd rather have the ZE first.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
MX3 GSR for dummies

Post by MX3 GSR for dummies »

Finally, all threads are telling the truth. Everything stated is true so take it for what it worth. K8 has no mods to create noticable power compared to the ZE or DE. Do a hard search for even a mazda mx-6 mystere motor and you should find one between 3-$500. Take a week-end or two and do a swap. You will be happy. Just putting wires and spark plugs and upgrading the ignition system will cost more than a DE swap! Of course though I have to push you in the direction of saving up and get a ZE :twisted:
If at first you don't succeed....it never happened

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress
92-Mx3

Post by 92-Mx3 »

thanks guys.. i did some research on ebay and found out i could get a KLZE for about 800$ cdn plus shipping.... what else would i need for the swap, excluding tools, and has anyone in the calgary area done this before.. id like to get an idea before i get my sleves rolled up 8)
1992 Mazda Mx-3 - I love my K8 :)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Actually.. while all of the above posts are completely true.. there is something to be said for getting all your bolt on goodies before you get the KLZE. Since the blocks are interchangeable.. you can get your headers, CAI, ignition upgrade and even get your millenia intake and throttle body ready to go before you actually purchase the ZE. Depends on how you want to go.. since my K8 is in good shape.. I am going to buy all the bolt ons first and then when the engine gets tired.. I will drop in a ZE. Just a thought ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Neil

Post by Neil »

Tunes67 wrote:Actually.. while all of the above posts are completely true.. there is something to be said for getting all your bolt on goodies before you get the KLZE. Since the blocks are interchangeable.. you can get your headers, CAI, ignition upgrade and even get your millenia intake and throttle body ready to go before you actually purchase the ZE. Depends on how you want to go.. since my K8 is in good shape.. I am going to buy all the bolt ons first and then when the engine gets tired.. I will drop in a ZE. Just a thought ;)

Tunes67
Excattly what i am in the process of doing, purchasing all the bolt ons before i get the engine. And so far its working well :)
Ever notice anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
01-03 Civic Projector Swap Tutorial
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

One other thing I will add here.. if you go KLZE.. dont mess around with ECU's.. just bite the bullet and get a Megasquirt system. You will be much happier in the long run and you get far more tuning options available to you.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
JYOUNYA1

Post by JYOUNYA1 »

Yea I hate ta tell ya. I dont have a ZE, but I asked the same question, and they told me the same thing. They are right too....for everyone that wants a A KLZE or a KFZE check this website out...just put in Millenia, or MX-6 and it will find alot of KLZE's and KF's that's closet to you, and sometimes lets you know the milage on the engine, and the condition.

Here is the we site http://www.car-part.com
93 MX-3 GS 1.8 Liter V6 Teal Mods: Pace (Maker) Setter Custom Catback/ Phantom Auto Meters: Voltage/ Water temp, Air/Fuel (in which not one gauge except voltage works) / Custom piece of s*** intake / 17" RacingHart Z5000 wrap in Khumos that are dry rotten / Altezza Tail lamps/ Custom Black interior (still in the works)/reverse indiglo gauges/ Push Button Starter/ Viper alarm with Proximity sensor/ Brembo slotted and dimpled rotors/ rear hatch shade/ Pioneer Premier DEH-840MP, ,2 custome fitted 6"inch pioneer door speakers, 1 Pioneer Premier 200 watt amp
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

That site wont find you a klze or kfze motor, as they are not located in any cars in the US it will find you the KLde/03 or maybe the 2.0 4cyl. :)

if you want to know the differenace in power

Klze is in blue
Kfze is in Red
I had a problem with my kf due to restriction from the intake and vris so expect those numbers to be about 8-12 points higher
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”