Distributor or Computer?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
my13waysused

Distributor or Computer?

Post by my13waysused »

Having trouble getting my 1.6L 4cyl to start. One day it was running fine with no hesitations or weird noises, and I pulled into the driveway. About 20 min. later, I tried to start it and car jut cranks normally but will not start. Car is getting fuel and has recently had timing belt replaced. There was no spark coming thru the wires, so I replaced the wires, plugs, rotor, and cap....still no spark. I noticed that when I turn the key to -on- position, the check engine light does not display.

Is this problem due to problems with the ecu/computer, or is it the distributor? thanks in advance
max kl

Post by max kl »

have you checked all of the fuses and there is a relay on the pass side of the ecm you realy cant test it but i have had the same symptoms 2 times on my 4cyl car and that relay was bad

there is i 10 or 15 amp fuse in side the car and the main fuse is under the hood if they are blown you need to find out why. fuses dont wear out

i keep a spare relay handy so i can pop it in whene car wont start you could get one used to keep the cost low and see if car starts [the relay on the pass side of the ecm]
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
9.60s n the 8th mile so far 8.50s sprayn now
150 shot
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

I think the common problems are the disty, and altenater. If your car seems to have plenty of power, then it's probably your disty.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

try pulling diagnostic codes - if the cel doesnt light up at all then ecu might be the problem - but i have heard many times that the ecu doesnt break unless somebody did something stupid with it. It might just be a blown fuse somewhere.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
my13waysused

Post by my13waysused »

Just thought I would let everyone know who won the idiot of the year award....me!!

Checked fuses again, and they looked good. Checked relay next to the ecu...wasn't that. I changed the ecu...wasn't that....then i spent almost 300$ on a distributor, and still no spark...

Then i decided to check fuses...Turns out there was a blown fuse that looked like it was brand new, but apparently it had blown..and yeah, the car started right up. :x

Oh well...I guess I should say that I got a lifetime warranty on a new disty...

So lesson.....do more than visually inspect your fuses !!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”