No more KLZE ecus?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

this is a image file of a KL-31 but the same idea
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: KLZE ECU

Post by jschrauwen »

mmac wrote:
In basic terms the bare bones of the K820 & KL36 ECUs appear to be the same. It looks as though only the 'fuelling' EPROM part numbers differ and the speed limiter is active in the KL36.
MMAC
Do you think that by replacing my 626 ECU (KL01) with a K820 ECU I'd be able to have all or most of the functionallity of a KL36. This may be a means of sorting my idle/TPs adjustment problems as well as a possibility of removing the codes that generate the check engine light (very anoying) that have surfaced since the ZE mod. I would imagine that there is probably a reasonable supply in the UK salvage system (junkyard/wreckers). Just an idea.....what do you think.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

papa roached wrote:this is a image file of a KL-31 but the same idea
I got that wrong, and I've edited my post - I should have said KL36.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
mmac
Supporting Member

Post by mmac »

If you are looking to get an ECU you could try this company

http://www.nipponspares.com

A bloke on MX6.com recommended them. They supplied him with a KL36 ECU for £117(pretty cheap for the UK). They say they can supply either KL31 or KL36, and they have them in stock.

another option is this company

http://www.dewsburyautosalvage.com

They supplied me with a KL36 ECU though it was a bit more expensive(£145).

To be honest I would always go for for a genuine KL31 or KL36 ECU as a first choice.
If you use a K820 the car will run, but not very well. In order to get best result out of a K820 you really need to change the EPROM so you might as well spend your money on a KL31/KL36 if you can get one.

There is an MX-3.com forum member called Gregory Christian who has said that his KLZE MX-3 ran fine with his standard K8 ECU after he had fitted a more powerful fuel pump.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Could it be that after a KLZE conversion the stock fuel pump pressure is not up to task thereby sending that message to the ECU? Or is there also specific commands that can only come from a KL31 / KL36 ECU to the fuel pump to satisfy KLZE requirements?
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Changing the fuel pump has no effect on the ECU.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
mmac
Supporting Member

Post by mmac »

Sorry, my mistake it wasn't the fuel pump that was changed it was the fuel pressure regulator. Oh... and the guy who did it is 'Black Magic' or Bastian. Look at the 6th post in this thread

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=37603
millaj01

Post by millaj01 »

I'm looking to source a KL-ZE this summer as well.....if anyone finds a reliable source for these ECUs I'm definitely interested....
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

mmac wrote:Sorry, my mistake it wasn't the fuel pump that was changed it was the fuel pressure regulator. Oh... and the guy who did it is 'Black Magic' or Bastian. Look at the 6th post in this thread
Black Magic wrote: We did put a klze into a 98 mx-3 (a longneck yehhh!), it had a few snags. But nothing major, just use your own ecu, buy a kl02 vaf and install a fpr. The fpr should be set at around 40psi, have to check up for the precise psi. That way it should work, we also had it put on a dyno................................and it had 195hp to the crank, to tooooooo bad I would say!
Bastian
I guess my question still stands. Manual says 64-92 psi @ fuel pump, 30-38 psi @ fuel filter w/ vaccum on FPR, 37-46 psi @ fuel filter w/o vaccum on FPR. If black magic is calling for (a minimum?) 40 psi for a klze than I imagine an upgrade may be required. Would a 626 or Millinea FPR do the trick (provide for higher fuel pressure)?
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

The FPR is on the end of the front fuel rail, so you already have the KLZE FPR. The stock fuel pump which is in the gas tank should have no problems keeping up.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

The way I see it, the K8 ECU will have no problem in controlling the fuelling on closed loop, but in open loop, the map it has is for a smaller engine, so it will underfuel. Raising the fuel rail pressure from 30-38 to a larger number will give a small increase in delivery, which, if you get it right, should be close enough to what the larger engine needs. 40 sounds a bit low, but who knows?

I assume that if you replace the stock FPR, you lose the ECU controlled enrichment for warm starts.
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

the K8 ECU will make it run rich because it is tuned for smaller injectors and that means different pulse times and what not, on the bigger KL injectors that means alot more gas flow and running rich, us the KL-DE VAF and it tones the gas usage down because it is calibrated different than teh JE50 and the FPR on the KL-ZE, KL-DE and K8 are the same, all the same part number
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Well, that makes a lot of sense. Perhaps the larger injectors and the KLDE VAF brings things close to right mixture, and the AFPR just needs to make a small pressure increase to put things right?

I'm just wondering whether the ECU can compare its open loop lookup results with what it's doing when it is running closed loop. Then it could modify its map for running open loop - that could be what is meant by the "learning". If that's right, it suggests the reason some guys get good results with the K8 ECU and KLDE VAF, and others don't, could be that the discrepancies with some engines are just too big for the learning to calibrate out, but getting things closer with the AFPR can make the difference?
Probinator

Post by Probinator »

Sorry to open a old thread but from what I think Im reading the U.K guys use a different k8ecu then the U.S?

Another question is there any U.K members running the stock probe/mx6 ecu and klo3 vaf on there U.K cars for the KLZE.
I see some run the KLZE kl36/31 ecu in there U.K cars this telling me that the eprom should probably work if installed in a U.S k8 ecu.

I currently make a eprom for the KLZE but after installing it on the U.K ECU the ecu seems not to work.

I have tested it on the U.S k8 ECU and it works great. Even dynoed more then the kl36 with je50, but when installed in the U.K ecu it fell on its face.

Someone let me know. please email me or post.
probegtze@hotmail.com
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

wow its really olkd and i cant believe i started it lol, yeh europe uses a different ecu for the k8ze and the kfze I got the kf01 ecu. Um dont bother weith those get a klde or klze.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”