CV Axles problem/ some wiring Q's also for KLZE

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
placham

CV Axles problem/ some wiring Q's also for KLZE

Post by placham »

Ok, About couple of weeks ago I ordered my KLZE (it came out of JDM GE5B which would be a MX-6 in US)

The engine came in yesturday (oh its a 5spd) I got the KLZE with the orginal trans from donor car. I have the ecm(KL36) full wiring harness with the fuse/relay box, full intake hoses with the filter.

I have a 1993 MX-3 GS it was automatic from factory, So I have to convert it to manual. I allready have the master cylinde, clutch pedal, and shifter with rods for MX-3.

No here I where I run into a problem, the KLZE came with the driver CV joint cut from the actual axle. I got it out but the one on the 5spd input shaft with the splines from the CV joint the shaft circumference in bigger than the one from the MX-3.

Are the CV axles for MX-3 V6 Manual larger than the ones for automatic?

Or do I have to get them from a different car, If so which one (Year, model, and engine size would be ideal if include with response)

Also is there a wiring diagram somewhere on the internet for KLZE, and are the USDM MX-6s wiring the same as the JDM (MX-6s) guess they are called GE5B in Japan. The reason I'm asking is because the wires that come out of the fuse/relay box in the engine bay are cut and there are some loose wire plugs(the plugs on the engine are all connected to all components and uncut) but the ones that are unpluged and cut I'm guessing are for like head lights and turn signals so I have to see what to keep and what to throw out. Basicaly seperate engine wiring from body wiring from fuse/relay box.

Any help is apreciated

THANKS

PS. I paide 1400 USD allready with shipping (engine price was 1225USD) for the KLZE with wiring, 5spd, exhaust pipes to catalitic converter, and got the full orginal intake system with the VAF, the price seemed right.
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

the axles are different from a manual to automatic and also you can not use the mx6 manual transmission unless you have a custom made driver side axle made for it because the mx3 axle will not fit the new trans (will but too short) and using a mx6 axle is impossible due to the spline count unless you do full front end conversion to a 5 lug which would be a b---- and a half
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
garfy1981
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by garfy1981 »

I ordered a KLZE man 5 speed box and had problems mounting it to the mx-3 driveshafts also.
The mx6 box had a different spline count to the mx-3.
So in the end i used the mx-3 5 speed manual box, because of time restrictions.
Most of the mx6 trannys do use the same splines as the mx-3,
Seems as if you and I have run into the same problem.

Thats if im reading you post correctly.
2.5 Ze straight neck, blitz intake, mazdaspeed engine mounts, fidenza flywheel, CM II Clutch, KL-36 ecu, Magnecor 8mm Leads, Battery Relocation. Hotshot headers, 2.5 mandrel bent stainless exhaust, hi-flow cat, Speed hut dials, custom coilover set up. Custom willwood big brake conversion.
placham

Post by placham »

I dont really know much about MAZDAs, I have V6 with AUTO trans, I' m doing a KLZE sawp, the engine came with the 5spd.

Driver side CV joint was the only one on the trans when it came in with the engine( It looks like when you would cut your driver side axle in half, and I got that part which goes into the trans)

After I got it out I compared the one of the KZLE and the one out of my Auto K8.

The one of the KLZE the shaft it self is bigger in circumference than that of the K8 auto.

I will aslo count splines on bout and post it.

I can take pictures if it will help, but dont know how or where to post it.
placham

Post by placham »

Ok, i took some pictures of the trans with the engine and the axles, dont know how to post it do.

Here are the mesurements of the axles
(I mesured it with a tape mesure around the axle, the splined part that goes into trans)

KLZE with trans(5spd)
9.5cm about 3.75inches spline count is 28

K8 with auto trans
8cm about 3.25inches spline count is 24

The splines dont make a difference because the shaft it self is smaller. I mean they would if the shaft was the right size
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

A manual K8 tranny axle should fit just fine. The manual K8 axles are 28 spline and larger diameter than the auto versions.

As for the wiring your stock wiring should work just fine. You do not need to use the harness that came with the ZE. Also read some swap faqs, they will tell you about the only two wiring issues you'll have using the stoc kMX-3 harness. The problems are easily solved.
There are a few tricks to making the manual work with the wiring that you have for your auto, but a simple search will show you what to do.
Good lukc with your ZE and please read and edit what you write. Your use of words is terrible. You use the correct sound of a word, and you do use a correctly spelled word, but it is the wrong word for your context. Makes your posts really hard to read b/c I have to figure out what word you were supposed to use instead of what you wrote.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
placham

Post by placham »

PATDIESEL I have noticed that you know a lot about KLZEs and MX-3s.

You could save me couple hundred dollars, because I was going to the junkyard to get a U.S. model 5spd trany from any V6. Since what you have told me I might have to look into that, I would like to use the same trany that came in with the KLZE.

The trany that came in with the KLZE has a larger diameter shaft than the K8 ,and is has 28 splines compared to K8s (auto) 24 smaller shaft diameter size.

You say that stock MX-3 manual trany axles are larger diameter with 28 splines (just what I need), I have never seen a MX-3 manual axle in real life compared to Auto MX-3. Does it matter what year MX-3 V6 manual for the axles or are they all the same??????

So if those are the axles stock on MX-3, I would need Driver side Axle, Passanger side Axle with "jack shaft" right??????? And I could use the stock trany that came with the KLZE right???

If it was a LSD would it still work,and how do I check if it is, or it it's not a LSD trany????

I can take digital pictures for comparison if needed. Do you also konw if there are any pictures of MX-3 axles (manual and auto trany axles)????

How do I use the search option to search for old and previous posts????

PS. the KLZE came in with the wiring harness pluged in to all sensors and actuators, so I guess it might be easier to get everything connected if using the old harness.

Do you know if there are any MX-6 (1993+) wiring diagrams on the internet???

Thanks, seems to me that you are a KLZE GOD when it come to solving problems :D
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

hmmm if he already has a stock wiring harness intack from the klze wouldnt you think pat it would be better just to run the new wiring harness in, since he has to do a auto to manual conversion anyway so both motor and tranny will be out of the car? it just seems like it would be cleaner as he wouldnt have all the egr wires, and wires from the auto hanging around.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
placham

Post by placham »

Yes, I have full wiring harness, with all sensors and actuators for both KLZE and the "J-spec trany" the one that came stock with KLZE.

The only wires that are cut are the ones that go to the head lights I gues. I would have to compare it to the MX-6(as thats the car that the engine came out of , no not US MX-6, japanese MX-6 GE5B)

Engine wire go to the fuse/relay box that sits in the engine bay, other wires that I guess that go from fuse/relay box are cut(but I dont need them as I can use the ones of the MX-3)

CAN SOMEBODY VERIFT THAT MX-3 V6 (MANUAL 5SPD) AXLES ARE LARGER DIAMETER THAN- MX-3 V6(AUTOMATIC) AXLES. AND THAT MANUAL AXLES ARE 28 SPLINES COMPARED TO THE AUTOMATIC AXLES 24 SPLINES?????? that is the only real problem I have now, engien will not run with out correct trans and axles.

I WILL BE USING ALLDATA TO GET THE WIRING FIGURED OUT, I WILL HAVE TO STUDY MX-6 AND MX-3 WIRING AND TRY TO COMBINE THE TWO TOGETHER. USE MX-6(GE5B) WIRING FOR ENGINE AND TRANS, AND MX-3 FOR HEADLIGHTS AND SUCH.

BUT I REALY NEED SOME RESPONSE ON THE AXLES FIRST, BECAUSE IF I CANT GET THEM TO FIT THIS TRANS, I WILL HAVE TO BUY U.S. MODLE TRANS AND GET SOME AXLES.

THANKS
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

If the trans is a LSD any axle you can get here in the states will not work since we do not have a V-6 LSD in any Mazda car.
However, to check if it is a LSD; take the axle out that came in the ZE trans. If you can see straight through the diff (nothing but a hole) then it is a LSD and you will need axles from Brian's LSD group buy (Mnemonic).
If you see a bar running through the diff then it is not a LSD and you can use a stock GS manual trans axle. They are 28 spline and thicker than the auto axles. If you would like to just check before installing the motor and trans go buy a drivers side axle from any auto parts store and fit it into the ZE trans.

As for the wiring since the ZE wiring is cut I'd just use the K8 wiring harness. It is the same for all the engine components. You'll have to take the intake manifold off and move the knock sensor wire over to the passanger side so that it will plug up. (if you take a look at the ZE the knock sensor plug is on the drivers side, the MX-3 harness and stock engine hae to plug on the passanger side). Also you might have to legnthen the TPS wires in order for the stock MX-3 wiring harness to reach the TPS on the ZE throttle body.
Other than that the engine harness will work just fine and you'll save time and effort trying to rewire the engine bay. Also, you know that there is not a problem with the MX-3 wiring harness. The ZE harness could have gotten messed up during shipping abd you won't know untill you try and crank the car. If it is messed up at that point you cannot say it is the wiring harness, it could be poor timing or a horde of other things. I'd start simple and just do the motor and trans swap. After you have it running if you just HAVE to swap the harnesses then do. At least you'll know the motor is fine and running and if something doesn't work after you intall the harness you know it is the harness and not one of a thousand things. Right?

The search function is located on the screen where you choose to read unread posts or choose a topic to read about (such as V6 Tech/Performance). Search for auto to manual swap under the V-6 or 4 banger forum (tricking the car into thinking it is in nuetral or park is the same on the V-6 as it is on the 4 bangers). Or just email AtlantaMX3 and he'll send you a pic of what you need to do with the certian plug to trick the car into letting you crank her.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

just to add to Pat's explanation

You're looking at the axle hole in the tranny. This is a stock diff. (G25m-R tranny) NOT lsd, you can see the bar that Pat was refering too

RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
placham

Post by placham »

The trans I got is just like babyblueMX3 pic he posted, that means that it's an open diff and I can use US stock axles.>>great less money I have to spent to get the swap complete.

PATDIESEL------>>> My wiring harness on the KLZE is not cut anywhere between the engine and the ECM, or the (in side engine bay) fuse/relay box.
The only wires that are cut are the ones that I think would go to the lights on the Japanese MX-6. I'm not sure on that yeat I have to compare my KLZE wiring harness to the US MX-6, and see where those wires that are cut go.

I might follow your advice and use K8 harness for time being.

Also my KLZE has a 7 tower dist cap, with external coil, would that make any differeance if I wanted to use K8 harness.?

By the way how do you post pics in the thread, for future referance???

THANKS to everybody that contributed to this post, I will defiantly post any problems when I come across them. :welder: :2thumbsup:
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

placham wrote:The trans I got is just like babyblueMX3 pic he posted, that means that it's an open diff and I can use US stock axles.>>great less money I have to spent to get the swap complete.

PATDIESEL------>>> My wiring harness on the KLZE is not cut anywhere between the engine and the ECM, or the (in side engine bay) fuse/relay box.
The only wires that are cut are the ones that I think would go to the lights on the Japanese MX-6. I'm not sure on that yeat I have to compare my KLZE wiring harness to the US MX-6, and see where those wires that are cut go.

I might follow your advice and use K8 harness for time being.

Also my KLZE has a 7 tower dist cap, with external coil, would that make any differeance if I wanted to use K8 harness.?

By the way how do you post pics in the thread, for future referance???

THANKS to everybody that contributed to this post, I will defiantly post any problems when I come across them. :welder: :2thumbsup:
did the harness came from a cuve neck ze ? probably. Thing is, it probably uses a MAF stock (jdm millenia) and external disty so the harness might be different elsewhere too.

if using your k8 harness then you'll have to mod the harness but it's not big deal, nothin nobody never done.

to post pics, host them up on a site like photobucket.com and copypaste the [IMG] link on here
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

JUST FIND A MANUAL PROBE TRANNY
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.
placham

Post by placham »

babyblueMX3------->>> I think it's the stock harness for this engine as it has the correct plug for the VAF, and the harness did not come seperat it is still on the engine pluged into all the connectors> I did not take it appart yeat.

Would the curved neck MAF have a different connector than a VAF.

One more thing about those axles>>>>>>

I allready know that I have to get MX3 V6 5spd axles, they might be hard to find at junkyards, so I would but them at the parts store.

But what about the JACKSHAFT the one thats between trans and passanger axle bolted to the block,, Would the one from MX-6 with correct size and spline count work fine on a MX-3(or is this strictly an MX-3 V6 5spd must part????????)

I will try to post pictures on here of my engine

Thanks

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”