VRIS POINTS.....OPEN OR NOT

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
PWRD_BY_HKS

VRIS POINTS.....OPEN OR NOT

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

Well the thing is i got a big race comming up against a crx (b16) i beat him before but i just want to run at my best...... those of you who have ran with them (VRIS) tied open can tell me....does it help to tie them open or not.
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Keep them the way there made to be. UNless maybe you have the wrong ecu for ur manifold.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

KL-31 ECU
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

XxantwawnxX wrote:Keep them the way there made to be. UNless maybe you have the wrong ecu for ur manifold.
Word! Mazda wouldn't have made the VRIS system open and close if there wasn't a reason for it to. It would have been much easier for them to have a less complex intake manifold with the passages open all the time if the car ran better that way. Since there is some engineering behind the VRIS system I trust it a lot more than someone who used a shoelace and thought their performance improved. I agree that having the wrong ECU could screw with your VRIS points and MIGHT make a small difference for the half second that it takes from when it should open up to when it does. But I am not convinced that it helps any even in this situation. Where I think it MIGHT help is when someones car is timed improperly (advanced) and they require more air because they are running pig rich.

I may be wrong but I think that when the VRIS is closed you will get more bottom end torque. This is because there is a shorter path between the outside air and the combusiton chamber. The VRIS opens up to lengthen this path and thus produce more Horse Power in the Higher Revs.

I would love to hear the Old Schoolers weigh in on this and put it to rest once and for all. I am getting tired of hearing "Just tie open the VRIS. It will pull much harder."
93 GS KLZE Straight Neck (Parked)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

There's a lot more to VRIS than what ccreech said. In general tying them open is only a temporary solution to regain the top end you lose when swapping IMs at the expense of low end power.

When it comes to aftermarket control and stock control that's where the differences show up. On a stock ECU the VRIS are activated by a combination of load sensing (throttle position) and RPMs. This was done in an effort to improve fuel efficiency. Unless the throttle is at 85% or greater the VRIS do not function (at least on a probe ecu, assuming the same for all K-Series ecus).

With aftermarket control such as window switches, megasquirt, VRTuner (no longer around) the load sensing requirement is eliminated. The result is more on demand power in the lower RPMs.

I had all of the three methods of controlling VRIS above. The VRTuner had a potentiometer hooked up to your TPS that actually allowed you to control load sensing. Since 99% of people tuning VRIS do it for performance that feature is fairly useless.

The Window Switches were a great, easy to install option. Very easy to play with on a dyno. And with the new digital versions there's no need to buy those $5 a piece rpm pills.

Megasquirt is a superior option to the window switches, but only a viable option if you are going to run it as a stand alone. Installing a megasquirt just for VRIS control is a waste of time. I currently use megasquirt for my VRIS and sometimes I even change the settings at street lights if my laptop is on.

In my personal opinion the VRIS are nothing more than a pain when you start attempting to make more power. As I see it the VRIS don't help you gain any power, they real only serve as a way to lose power you already had by having incorrect points. And once you start modding your engine the optimal points will start floating all over the place.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

There's a lot more to VRIS than what ccreech said
Yeah, I am sure that there is, I don't claim to know much about VRIS...but do you agree with what I did say?
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

megasquirt it :P !!
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

-hec NO squirting
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
max kl

Post by max kl »

ccreech wrote:
There's a lot more to VRIS than what ccreech said
Yeah, I am sure that there is, I don't claim to know much about VRIS...but do you agree with what I did say?
no you got it backwards short runners loose torqe and gain high endpower
long runners help low end torque and hurt top end power
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
9.60s n the 8th mile so far 8.50s sprayn now
150 shot
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

As far as i know, if u have the right ecu for the right vris points then haveing the vris points tied open will hurt ur low end(there meant to be closed at lower rpm full throttle) I have the k8 ecu and the Millinia manifold and my vris points work pretty good, when i tied them open it got slower. Now thats not to say someone elses diff set up might not benifit from it...but im stil skepticle.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

These last 2 posts seem contradictory. Opening up the VRIS solenoid would lengthen the run of the air in the intake. So I was thinking like XxantwawnxX posted that opening these up would take away from your lower end. max kl says that it is just the oposite. Now I am more confused than I was before.
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

just leave them and buy a 50 shot of nitrous
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

DavidOS wrote:just leave them and buy a 50 shot of nitrous
yes! end of story.

wepeo

Post by wepeo »

lol
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

to answer the questions that was first asked. Tying both vris WILL GET YOU SLOWER. It's close on lower rpms to give you more torque down there and open at higher rpms for better power up there. Though they close at around 6300 (around that don't quote me on the number) and it is better that way because it makes more power CLOSED at those rpms. It is just the way it works.

leave them alone end of story
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”