1.6 SOHC to 1.6 DOHC

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
WingleBeast

1.6 SOHC to 1.6 DOHC

Post by WingleBeast »

if i were to try a swap like this would i need to do anything other then the engine swap? i assume the tranny and other parts will work?
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

why are you doing this swap??

Bochek
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

What tranny do you have? ATX or MTX? You will have to swap the wiring harness and ECU for the DOHC. They are different. But I think it should be pretty much plug and play after that.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

im sorry, it would be manual tranny.

im doing the swap cause im getting a 92' mx3 for a rediculously low price, but im not to happy about the SOHC engine. and i can get a MX-3 DOHC engine really cheep also, so i rather do this then go out and look for a more expensive 94' mx3.

i wouldent mind doing the BPT swap, but i dont have the time or cash cause im currently at college far from home. besides that its alot of money for a 12 year old car so, i figure i would just do this simple swap to get me around 120 hp
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

a 1.6 DOHC does NOT put out 120 hp. unless i am wrong that would be a BP you are talking about. Wich i believe is 118 hp... i might be wrong.

Bochek
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

120 BHP would be the BP engine. The DOHC B6 if I recall correctly is 105Bhp.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

yeah your right, my typing error. but you get the point. it should work right?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Yeah it will work.. but honestly.. unless you got a steal of a deal on the B6 DOHC.. you can usually find a decent BP in the same price range.. and if its a HP increase you want.. thats the way to go.

Tunes67

Bochek

Post by Bochek »

Tunes67 wrote:Yeah it will work.. but honestly.. unless you got a steal of a deal on the B6 DOHC.. you can usually find a decent BP in the same price range.. and if its a HP increase you want.. thats the way to go.

Tunes67
i believe he ment a 1.8 DOHC being the BP.

not that his hp numbers where typo's.

Bochek
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Possible.. but if so.. why hasnt he changed the title of his post?

Tunes67

Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

its easier to stick with the 93 harness. you could even run the 1.6 DHOC off of the sohc harness, i dont advise it but it has been done. all you have to do is grab a 323 ECU and plug that puppy in. honestly i would go with the BP as well, you can find them for reasionable prices, i got mine for 200 USD. then you could run the PRO LX ECU.
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

yeah the hp number were the typo, i can get a 1.6 DOHC engine for a little over 100 bucks, my friend did the 1.8 swap and will seel me his old engine, so unless you can find me a 1.8 for under 100 then thats what i want to do, i just wanted ot make sure the transmission and such will swap out good. is htere anyhting i will need to buy? like mounts?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Motor mounts should be the same.. for the most part.. the block is identical between the two engines. The DOHC block has a couple more oil passages but it doesnt change how anything bolts to the outside of the block.. at least to my knowledge. You will notice a slight HP increase between the two.. but you may be disappointed that it isnt more for the amount of work involved.

Tunes67

Yoda

Post by Yoda »

The B5 is the one that 120hp but dyno results indicate the older 110hp version is making at least 120hp the -ZE is making more like 125hp in stock condition.
Bochek wrote:a 1.6 DOHC does NOT put out 120 hp. unless i am wrong that would be a BP you are talking about. Wich i believe is 118 hp... i might be wrong.

Bochek
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

thanks guys, the main reason for the swich is how cheep i can get the engine for, and the DOHC you can do a bit more mods to.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”